Current state of Porsche Intelligent Range Manager

gab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+ MY21
Country flag
Hello,

I've read a few articles on this forum regarding the Porsche Intelligent Range Manager, and all of them are quite negative. Videos online are not much more positive. As most of what I have found is 6-12 months old, though, I was wondering if things got better with the more recent software updates.

As far as I understood, using A Best Route Planner or similar apps is advised when planning for longer trips anyways, but I'd love to hear from any of you who has attempted a long trip (even better if in Europe) and relied on only/mostly PIRM.

Eventually, I'd love to drive from DK to Italy and I would like to do it without being worried to stop at a charging station that doesn't exist anymore, or find myself in the middle of nowhere with the car empty and having to call the assistance.

Best,
Gabriele
Sponsored

jetbox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Country flag
It’s still not great, ABRP is much better and available in the car on CarPlay now...

oalsaker

First Name
Øystein
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon Taycan 4s
Country flag
Let's hope Porsche uses this pandemic to improve their software, so that people can actually use it for navigation in 2022.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Suggest reading the documentation first to ensure you are familiar with what it does, how it works and what it doesn't do.

I'm pretty sure most folk don't take time to read up before launching into using it and then move quickly to criticising it.

I think it is pretty smart in how it works and that it works in tandem with the vehicle controlling when to invoke Range Mode (to conserve energy) and other features.

The limiting factor is that it plans around 50kW DC charging and above which means many slower charging options aren't considered (or people assume are missing).

For sure the database is not 100% up-to-date but it is self-maintaining. On routes where there aren't suitable chargers you can drop out via the satnav and find chargers nearby using the integrated online search.

Both methods then work in conjunction and when a destination charger is selected then the battery is automatically pre-conditioned to charge as quickly as possible on arrival.

An integrated solution is what you are getting here.

In time it will mature but don't write it off from the get go. Give it a whirl and see how you go.

OP
OP
gab

gab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+ MY21
Country flag
It’s still not great, ABRP is much better and available in the car on CarPlay now...
I wasn't aware of this. Good to know!

Suggest reading the documentation first to ensure you are familiar with what it does, how it works and what it doesn't do.

I'm pretty sure most folk don't take time to read up before launching into using it and then move quickly to criticising it.

I think it is pretty smart in how it works and that it works in tandem with the vehicle controlling when to invoke Range Mode (to conserve energy) and other features.

The limiting factor is that it plans around 50kW DC charging and above which means many slower charging options aren't considered (or people assume are missing).

For sure the database is not 100% up-to-date but it is self-maintaining. On routes where there aren't suitable chargers you can drop out via the satnav and find chargers nearby using the integrated online search.

Both methods then work in conjunction and when a destination charger is selected then the battery is automatically pre-conditioned to charge as quickly as possible on arrival.

An integrated solution is what you are getting here.

In time it will mature but don't write it off from the get go. Give it a whirl and see how you go.
Thanks W1NGE. The planning around 50kW DC charging is probably a bit of a problem in countries that are still behind (like Italy), but I also think that - for longer trips - you probably want to focus on reducing the time spent at the charging stations, so skipping 10/20kW will likely not be a big deal. At worse, there is always other support apps that can be used.

In general, I think that car manufacturers lag behind in terms of usability of their in-house software. Even Tesla, that I believe has overall the best software package (at least the concepts behind the way it is deployed and designed are quite mature), still feels poorly usable in some instances. You can't make everyone happy but I believe that adding more options to configure the experience and the UX will go a long way and solve a lot of issues that I have seen mentioned in the various threads and videos.

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
Anyone who had used the intelligent range manager does it optimizes/minimize the charging stop time by using higher speed chargers and arriving at lower SOCs based on charge curve like ABRP does?

Because that, in my opinion, is the single most important functionality of a road trip planner. Routing to a 50 KW charger that may minimize number of stops does not actually always improve the wait times compared to a better strategy os shorter stops at faster chargers (ABRP).

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Yes, based on charger availability and speed - optimisation of entire journey. Note that you can also set the minimum SoC at each stopover / journey end.

rs38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan,gt2,i8
Country flag
it happens that all these planners make error. for me the built in PIRM does a good job and ABRP is quite useless, as it does't know you SoC online.

SwissTaycan

First Name
Dieter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S arrived on 23.12.20 and 718 Spyder on order
Country flag
Admittedly I have not done a real trip yet... but I thought it is imperative to use PIRM if you want to use high speed chargers in order to pre-condition (heat) the battery?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Read the blurb in the Porsche Good To Know App on PIRM, adding chargers and so on. There are videos there too,

Reactions: gab

ejcintr

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan 4s, F150
Country flag
Read the blurb in the Porsche Good To Know App on PIRM, adding chargers and so on. There are videos there too,
The Good to know app seems to be stuck on the 2020 Taycan... is there an update for 2021?

ejcintr

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan 4s, F150
Country flag
Yes. Go to Models and download MY21....
Odd - I don't see that as a choice on my app- wonder if this a NA issue as I look at other Porsche models and they don't list 2021 as a downloadable manual- they are all 2020's.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Could be but it's been out for a while now. I have it on Apple and Android.

Not a lot is different.

Why not Google the European one and download.
Sponsored