Custom Build - At what stage is the point of no return?

evn00b

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S, '14 Lexus IS, '22 Hyundai Palisade
Country flag
If one gets an allocation and places a custom build order, at what stage does one sign a contract and would face forfeiture of their deposit if one backs out after that? Reason for asking: Going by the uncertainty caused by the chip shortage situation and delivery lead time estimates all over the place, I am left wondering if MY22 Taycans will still be getting delivered well past when MY23 orders start.
Sponsored

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
IMHO, if you'll (always) wait for next model year, you'll (always) wait for next year ;)
I don't know for the States, but my salesman told me if I want MY22, I'll get it in 8-9 months...

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
If one gets an allocation and places a custom build order, at what stage does one sign a contract and would face forfeiture of their deposit if one backs out after that? Reason for asking: Going by the uncertainty caused by the chip shortage situation and delivery lead time estimates all over the place, I am left wondering if MY22 Taycans will still be getting delivered well past when MY23 orders start.
In UK, you generally pay a deposit (£3K - £5K) to get in line and then when you have configured the car and then told when your lock date is that becomes fixed and firm. Up to lock date you can generally walk away with the deposit (as someone else will be behind you and will simply move forward in the queue such is the demand).

DGT

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
992 Targa 4S, '21 Cayenne S, '21 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I've purchased several Porsches over the last 5 years and have never signed a contract or other legally binding document. How the dealership handles the deposit varies between dealerships, and deposits are not mandatory. Talk to your SA and see what their policy is and what exceptions to their policy might exist.

OP
OP

evn00b

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
IMHO, if you'll (always) wait for next model year, you'll (always) wait for next year ;)
I don't know for the States, but my salesman told me if I want MY22, I'll get it in 8-9 months...
8-9 months lead time is not normal either but then we don't know how long the chip shortage fiasco will last...

amelen

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.alexmelen.com
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Ask the dealer - the demand is strong enough that they might let you out of the deposit no matter how far along in the process you are. It all depends on the relationship you have with your dealership though.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
@evn00b : Of course it’s not normal, but right now, they are not giving shorter delivery dates.

yucatown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Your deposit will be charged against your CC when you confirm and sign the order, and the dealer starts the process with Porsche. This will happen once you have a confirmed allocation. At least this was my experience.

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
In CA, you can walk away any time before delivery and get a full refund. However, if you wish to do business with that dealer again you might negotiate a compromise.

I'm not sure what you're worried about. Your dealer will be able to tell you if you get a MY22 allocation slot or not. Just having a deposit is pretty meaningless. It's just a wait list. If it takes Porsche until the MY23 factory change over to get you a build slot, then you'll get a MY23 slot.

OP
OP

evn00b

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks for all the useful insights and info.

How far along the process does the build slot gets fixed? Is that something which pops up separately on Track Your Dream? And do dealers have influence to ask Porsche to move a build slot from MY{x} to MY{x+1} if it’s getting close to being one of the last ones for the old model year?
Sponsored