Custom Rear Bike Rack Installed with 1up Trays

bsclywilly

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2021
Threads
16
Messages
354
Reaction score
537
Location
San Jose
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
Hey everyone,

Thought I'd share my custom rear rack solution. I never had the intention of buying the Porsche rear rack as I believe the tray style racks that 1up and Thule make are much better since they don't contact the frame and are easier to use than straps. My original plan was to make a cross bar with a receiver hitch so that I could use any hitch mounted rack but decided for a simpler and much lighter solution that's bike specific which is what I use 99% of the time any ways. The other 1% is towing a trailer but I've got an SUV for that.

I machined two extension bars that twist to engage with the slots in the rear mounts the same way the Tequipment rear rack does. Two 1up roof rack trays bolt on to the extension bars and prevent them from rotating out. All in all, the extension bars are about 9lbs total, machined out of 2" aluminum tubing with a calculated load capacity of twice the Porsche rating at nearly 200lbs total and above the actual load rating of the tray racks which are 75lbs each. In use, I would pick the lowest of the ratings and not exceed the 110lb total rating that Porsche has as I'm not sure if the rear mounts on the car are capable of handling more than that. Design wise, for simplicity, it's just a fixed bar and I wanted to keep the bikes as close to the vehicle as possible to reduce the rear overhang. The one piece extension bar also makes it very secure with almost no free play.

Next steps are to anodize the extension bars and add some plastic end caps to finish off the ends of the tubes. Also need to add a license plate mount.

A folding version or something with a quicker release for storage or tail gate access will have to wait until the next iteration. Installed, it just barely fits in my garage.

Feedback welcome. Not planning on selling these but if there's alot of interest, we could get a machine shop to quote a small batch run.

Image from iOS (45).jpg

Image from iOS (46).jpg

Image from iOS (41).jpg

Image from iOS (43).jpg

Image from iOS (44).jpg

Image from iOS (42).jpg

Image from iOS (40).jpg


Update 1/27: Dummy trailer plug to deactivate PDC.
7BF3DDFA-ABDA-4223-BDAB-98BCAD7D4B41.jpeg

F60C2D89-B4F4-4CDD-84B0-13F1478051CA.jpeg

DD409D40-7DCC-4C49-A682-5E84B14FFE8E.jpeg


Update 2/4: Anodized and fully assembled
41EE580D-9B32-40DF-AE24-2535F17FDC59.jpeg


Converted to flush mounted trays.
906659F2-2927-4606-9F2E-B8BA5D60074E.jpeg


Tailgate clearance for single road bike.



















































Update 3/16: Cargo tray mounted.
Image from iOS (59).jpg

Image from iOS (61).jpg

 
Last edited:

dickp

Well-Known Member
First Name
Dick
Joined
Apr 11, 2021
Threads
24
Messages
344
Reaction score
225
Location
VA
Website
www.dickpitini.com
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4
Country flag
Looks really great. Guess there is no way to open the hatch without taking the bikes off first. I just got the Porsche Rack & can see advantages to both set ups. Yours is certainly much more affordable.
 

DANgerous

Well-Known Member
First Name
Dan
Joined
Apr 19, 2021
Threads
8
Messages
98
Reaction score
104
Location
Hong Kong
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Hey everyone,

Thought I'd share my custom rear rack solution. I never had the intention of buying the Porsche rear rack as I believe the tray style racks that 1up and Thule make are much better since they don't contact the frame and are easier to use than straps. My original plan was to make a cross bar with a receiver hitch so that I could use any hitch mounted rack but decided for a simpler and much lighter solution that's bike specific which is what I use 99% of the time any ways. The other 1% is towing a trailer but I've got an SUV for that.

I machined two extension bars that twist to engage with the slots in the rear mounts the same way the Tequipment rear rack does. Two 1up roof rack trays bolt on to the extension bars and prevent them from rotating out. All in all, the extension bars are about 9lbs total, machined out of 2" aluminum tubing with a calculated load capacity of twice the Porsche rating at nearly 200lbs total and above the actual load rating of the tray racks which are 75lbs each. In use, I would pick the lowest of the ratings and not exceed the 110lb total rating that Porsche has as I'm not sure if the rear mounts on the car are capable of handling more than that. Design wise, for simplicity, it's just a fixed bar and I wanted to keep the bikes as close to the vehicle as possible to reduce the rear overhang. The one piece extension bar also makes it very secure with almost no free play.

Next steps are to anodize the extension bars and add some plastic end caps to finish off the ends of the tubes. Also need to add a license plate mount.

A folding version or something with a quicker release for storage or tail gate access will have to wait until the next iteration. Installed, it just barely fits in my garage.

Feedback welcome. Not planning on selling these but if there's alot of interest, we could get a machine shop to quote a small batch run.

Image from iOS (45).jpg

Image from iOS (46).jpg

Image from iOS (41).jpg

Image from iOS (43).jpg

Image from iOS (44).jpg

Image from iOS (42).jpg

Image from iOS (40).jpg
Nice job! I assume that wherever you live, the cops don't care if your rear plate isn't visible?
 
OP
OP
bsclywilly

bsclywilly

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2021
Threads
16
Messages
354
Reaction score
537
Location
San Jose
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
Nice job! I assume that wherever you live, the cops don't care if your rear plate isn't visible?
Thanks! I’ve still got a few things to finish off. One of them is a mount for my spare plate, I mean front plate, to hang off the rack. Probably zero sympathy if both front and rear aren’t visible…
 

TaycanCook

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 1, 2021
Threads
19
Messages
437
Reaction score
286
Location
NYC
Vehicles
MG 4S CT
Country flag
This is fantastic. Got a CAD that you can share? I was looking for a way to mount a rack to carry a cooler for camping and this would be awesome. I'm thinking of a rack mounted on a two sleeve tubes that would slide on to your tubes and held in place with pins. That'll give me the ability to move it out of the way just enough to open up the hatch.
 


Bry5on

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2021
Threads
11
Messages
184
Reaction score
136
Location
CA
Vehicles
'70 electric Jaguar, ‘21 Taycan 4S CT
Country flag
Looks familiar! This is my other EV and I did the same coming out of some fake tailpipes. The 1up is the way to go, I used the Thule ones simply because they have built in frame locking though.

What did you use to make the locking pins?

827C46B7-8036-4C5D-BF47-2CBF71F298A1.jpeg
 

W1NGE

Well-Known Member
First Name
Adrian
Joined
Jan 11, 2021
Threads
23
Messages
7,018
Reaction score
4,126
Location
Aberdeen, Scotland
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2012 Boxster S, GTS ST on order
Country flag
Hey everyone,

Thought I'd share my custom rear rack solution. I never had the intention of buying the Porsche rear rack as I believe the tray style racks that 1up and Thule make are much better since they don't contact the frame and are easier to use than straps. My original plan was to make a cross bar with a receiver hitch so that I could use any hitch mounted rack but decided for a simpler and much lighter solution that's bike specific which is what I use 99% of the time any ways. The other 1% is towing a trailer but I've got an SUV for that.

I machined two extension bars that twist to engage with the slots in the rear mounts the same way the Tequipment rear rack does. Two 1up roof rack trays bolt on to the extension bars and prevent them from rotating out. All in all, the extension bars are about 9lbs total, machined out of 2" aluminum tubing with a calculated load capacity of twice the Porsche rating at nearly 200lbs total and above the actual load rating of the tray racks which are 75lbs each. In use, I would pick the lowest of the ratings and not exceed the 110lb total rating that Porsche has as I'm not sure if the rear mounts on the car are capable of handling more than that. Design wise, for simplicity, it's just a fixed bar and I wanted to keep the bikes as close to the vehicle as possible to reduce the rear overhang. The one piece extension bar also makes it very secure with almost no free play.

Next steps are to anodize the extension bars and add some plastic end caps to finish off the ends of the tubes. Also need to add a license plate mount.

A folding version or something with a quicker release for storage or tail gate access will have to wait until the next iteration. Installed, it just barely fits in my garage.

Feedback welcome. Not planning on selling these but if there's alot of interest, we could get a machine shop to quote a small batch run.

Image from iOS (45).jpg

Image from iOS (46).jpg

Image from iOS (41).jpg

Image from iOS (43).jpg

Image from iOS (44).jpg

Image from iOS (42).jpg

Image from iOS (40).jpg
Nice job but how does this impact your insurance if at all?

I'd worry that your design doesn't have type approval nor been crash tested (sorry to be a boring pedant) which in the UK if you were honest with the insurer would invalidate any future claim.
 

SRQ661

Well-Known Member
First Name
Hal
Joined
Jan 30, 2020
Threads
6
Messages
180
Reaction score
126
Location
Sarasota, FL
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
Looks really great. Guess there is no way to open the hatch without taking the bikes off first. I just got the Porsche Rack & can see advantages to both set ups. Yours is certainly much more affordable.
You got the $2,000 (or so) Porsche rear bike rack? I've been waiting and waiting...
 


ciaranob

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 3, 2021
Threads
56
Messages
2,241
Reaction score
1,471
Location
Houston, TX
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 + Mini Electric in 2023!
Country flag
Hey everyone,

.............

Feedback welcome. Not planning on selling these but if there's alot of interest, we could get a machine shop to quote a small batch run.

Image from iOS (40).jpg
Great job - very cool - only thing that jumps out at me is the lack of protection for your rear hatch/car body in the event of front/back motion of the bikes say in severe braking or rough roads or whatever. Do you plan on a simply protection bar/stabilizer add-on?

Of course the other item would be how visible the brake/indicator lighting is with the bikes loaded?

And finally I'm guessing your rear sensors don't like the rack being there - do you have to turn off park assist and just grin and bear it when reversing?

PS: excellent choice re Quickjack :)
 
Last edited:

dickp

Well-Known Member
First Name
Dick
Joined
Apr 11, 2021
Threads
24
Messages
344
Reaction score
225
Location
VA
Website
www.dickpitini.com
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4
Country flag
You got the $2,000 (or so) Porsche rear bike rack? I've been waiting and waiting...
Yes I got the Porsche rack for $2,039. My Dealer and their Regional Porsche Manager went to bat for me, and apparently this is the only one in the US at this point. It is way overbuilt, but very high quality. The part # is 9J0.813.601.A

IMG_1077.JPG


IMG_1078.JPG


IMG_1079.JPG
 

SRQ661

Well-Known Member
First Name
Hal
Joined
Jan 30, 2020
Threads
6
Messages
180
Reaction score
126
Location
Sarasota, FL
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
Yes I got the Porsche rack for $2,039. My Dealer and their Regional Porsche Manager went to bat for me, and apparently this is the only one in the US at this point. It is way overbuilt, but very high quality. The part # is 9J0.813.601.A

IMG_1077.JPG


IMG_1078.JPG


IMG_1079.JPG
Must be the demo unit that was displayed around the country!
 
OP
OP
bsclywilly

bsclywilly

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2021
Threads
16
Messages
354
Reaction score
537
Location
San Jose
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
Yes I got the Porsche rack for $2,039. My Dealer and their Regional Porsche Manager went to bat for me, and apparently this is the only one in the US at this point. It is way overbuilt, but very high quality. The part # is 9J0.813.601.A

IMG_1077.JPG


IMG_1078.JPG


IMG_1079.JPG
Sounds like many people waiting for this. Congrats on getting yours! What a coincidence that both of us got our bike racks on for the first time yesterday and I guess we're the only ones in the country to be able to haul our bikes for the time being.
 

SRQ661

Well-Known Member
First Name
Hal
Joined
Jan 30, 2020
Threads
6
Messages
180
Reaction score
126
Location
Sarasota, FL
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
Did not look like it had ever been unpacked & repacked?
That’s what our regional manager suggested must have happened when I had my SA challenge him to get me one!!!
 

dickp

Well-Known Member
First Name
Dick
Joined
Apr 11, 2021
Threads
24
Messages
344
Reaction score
225
Location
VA
Website
www.dickpitini.com
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4
Country flag
That’s what our regional manager suggested must have happened when I had my SA challenge him to get me one!!!
I appreciate getting the rack. And only intended to share info. about the rack. However; I hate to see folks using that to "challenge" anyone at Porsche. I suspect that they will become more available shortly.
 
Last edited:

 
ZYRUS
Top