Custom Rear Bike Rack Installed with 1up Trays

SRQ661

First Name
Hal
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
I centrally appreciate getting the rack. And only intended to share info. about the rack. However; I hate to see folks using that to "challenge" anyone at Porsche. I suspect that they will become more available shortly.
It was a goodnatured challenge. Not to worry…
Advertisement

OP
OP
bsclywilly

bsclywilly

Reaction score
Vehicles
M3, X3, CT4
Country flag
Well done.

Does anyone know if the sedans have the same mounting points?
They aren’t available as an option for the sedans. But the brackets that hold the rear rack are just bolted on top of the bumper beam attachment points and share the same bolts. The bumper beam also has some notches cut out for clearance. I could imagine if you could get the brackets and bumper beam, that one could also install them on the sedan.

OP
OP
bsclywilly

bsclywilly

Reaction score
Vehicles
M3, X3, CT4
Country flag
Great job - very cool - only thing that jumps out at me is the lack of protection for your rear hatch/car body in the event of front/back motion of the bikes say in severe braking or rough roads or whatever. Do you plan on a simply protection bar/stabilizer add-on?
The 1up rack is pretty secure but yes, I would estimate under a 1g decel that you might get up to 2-3 inches of forward movement. I fit a Levo on today (ebike with wide q-factor and wide platform pedals) probably the worst case scenario and it is close. Pedals can spin without touching the tail gate statically and would be close in a worst case decel. With the pedals at 12 o’clock. I could slide the inner tray back a couple inches or if I did it again I’d probably make the tubes 2” longer.
DBBF64DA-FCED-469D-8AF7-511851F47685.jpeg

Of course the other item would be how visible the brake/indicator lighting is with the bikes loaded?

And finally I'm guessing your rear sensors don't like the rack being there - do you have to turn off park assist and just grin and bear it when reversing?

PS: excellent choice re Quickjack :)
I’m not concerned with brake light visibility since the light bar is the whole width of the car.

I did find that the rear parking sensors are at least silenced when you’re going forward. For example pulling into a parking stall you don’t get annoying beeps from the rear. And @dickp noticed the rear sensors and tailgate can be deactivated when the trailer light plug is installed so I plan to make a dummy plug. Although the beeping is always a good reminder you’ve got something sticking 2’ out the back

This is fantastic. Got a CAD that you can share? I was looking for a way to mount a rack to carry a cooler for camping and this would be awesome. I'm thinking of a rack mounted on a two sleeve tubes that would slide on to your tubes and held in place with pins. That'll give me the ability to move it out of the way just enough to open up the hatch.
This was “napkin sketch” stuff. I thought about doing a telescoping setup like you mentioned to accessing the rear hatch and quick removal but instead just wanted something quick and simple. For your application, I’d probably say a slider is not necessary. The edge of the tailgate doesn’t move back much until higher up so you’d probably clear a cooler easily.
20058711-F315-47DF-8FA2-DD540B8C4430.jpeg

The sockets in the car are 48mm diameter and about 90mm deep and the pins are 12mm diameter and 46mm from the end. I machined them out of 30” long, 2”ODx1.5”ID 6061AL tubes. @Bry5on The pins are M8 cap screws with their heads turned down to 12mm.

Advertisement

ZYRUS
Advertisement