OP
bsclywilly

bsclywilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
This is way better than the OEM rack, coming from someone with an OEM rack. I might just sell mine and make one of these instead.

Looks nice with the anodize on there too!
Had to bore out the ID to 1.75” to get these to fit.

Prescott Plastics 2” (50.48 mm) Round Plastic Plug Insert, Black End Cap for Metal Tubing, Fences, Glide Protection for Chairs and Furnitures (8 Pack) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XKB4CC...t_i_BMEV0GNMF4H1YG03T5EC?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Sponsored

OP
OP
bsclywilly

bsclywilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
Did you get the raw bars from your local metal shop?
Ordered a 60" length online. Local metal shop works too.

Breakdown of what I spent for this one off. Raw material and anodizing would be much cheaper in qty.

Aluminum tube 60" $150
M8 SS screws (box of 25) $14
Anodizing $110
1up tray rack (qty2) MSRP $520
Plastic end caps $14
TOTAL spent for materials $808.

1up cargo tray only MSRP $355

OP
OP
bsclywilly

bsclywilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
I recently received a bunch of interest in these rack supports so the plan is to make a batch. I've reached out to 1up to see if they can provide any discount on their tray racks for a group buy and will send out the support bar drawings today to quote machining.

I hope to confirm some prices and lead times in the next 2 weeks and I'll start a new thread with group buy details.

In the mean time, if anyone interested has any further comments or ideas, please post here. We can consider incorporating them in to this next batch. Currently, the only design change I have planned is to extend them by 2" to add some more clearance between the innermost bike and the car.

Porsche Taycan Custom Rear Bike Rack Installed with 1up Trays rack support asy

Porsche Taycan Custom Rear Bike Rack Installed with 1up Trays IMG_7279e

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag
I recently received a bunch of interest in these rack supports so the plan is to make a batch. I've reached out to 1up to see if they can provide any discount on their tray racks for a group buy and will send out the support bar drawings today to quote machining.

I hope to confirm some prices and lead times in the next 2 weeks and I'll start a new thread with group buy details.

In the mean time, if anyone interested has any further comments or ideas, please post here. We can consider incorporating them in to this next batch. Currently, the only design change I have planned is to extend them by 2" to add some more clearance between the innermost bike and the car.
Thank you for taking initiative and sharing your kick ass design to the group. I for one have no issues covering design costs, material costs, shipping costs, and a "make it worth your while" contribution.

Let us know what we can do to help. Hopefully, Venmo works for a payment/donation.

TaycanCook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MG 4S CT
Country flag
I'm for the extension. Is 2" enough to have the end of the tube to be about flush with the 1up tray? The only mod I'd do is to add a tail light either to the end of each bar or onto the 1up tray

Nachyomama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 CT
Country flag

Maybe we could wire in 2” brake lights and run the wire through the piping?

rack support asy.jpg

IMG_7279e.jpg

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag

rack support asy.jpg

IMG_7279e.jpg
Def interested and as others have said dibs to you big time for taking this on - hugely appreciated.

Have not dug back into your thread but the thing I’d love to see is some sort of solution on lights (brake/signals) - realize this is not at all a simple thing - but will the pkg at least include the plug design you had to kill some of the warnings etc on reverse?

Apologies but will review thread once I get s mo!