OP
bsclywilly

bsclywilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
Thanks for all the interest and compliments!

Quick update here, 1up has offered a 10% discount on their racks which is super nice of them. They also noted they have stock now, but with summer coming up we'll try to get an order together sooner than later to avoid any supply delays.

As for lighting, which a couple people have suggested, I'm going to say if you really feel it's necessary, there are lighting kits that you can buy such as this one that you can install on your own to the ends of the bars. My personal feeling is that it's not necessary. You can see from dickp's night pics (quoted a couple posts above) that the rear lights are very visible through the bike. It might be a more common European requirement but I have never seen a North American aftermarket hitch rack come with lighting. Reflective tape could also be added. Night time visibility of the license plate may be a concern for some, although from what I've read, authorities are usually pretty lenient with bike racks. I respect that everyone has different comfort levels with this so I would just suggest the same light kit linked above if it's a concern.

Dummy trailer plugs are fairly easy to assemble so that's something else I can include or provide instructions for.
Sponsored

TaycanCook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MG 4S CT
Country flag
@bsclywilly , more than satisfied with just the bars. 1up tray is gravy. When it comes to the lighting, I think we should be more than capable of creating our own mods on top of the bars as a foundation.

Bry5on

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'70 electric Jaguar, ‘21 Taycan 4S CT
Country flag
I’m in for a set.

I’d love to see a way to lock the 1up rack to the rail extensions. On my other EV that has a rack like this, I used lockable ball-lock pins. This would allow for a lock to be routed through the bike and down to the rail to keep the thieves at bay.

OP
OP
bsclywilly

bsclywilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
@Bry5on the 1up hardware has tamper-proof sockets in their hardware but obviously not totally safe for the well prepared thieves.

Do you have an example of the locking ball-lock pin? Sounds like it would be as simple as adding a hole to the bars for the pin to engage.

Also, for locking bikes to the trays 1up have these wheel locks too.

Sf-bay-taycan-seeker

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT Turbo S, Tesla X, Tesla Y
Country flag
@bsclywilly I was going to build my own based on your specs, looks like a fun project. But still waiting on my car so if you're doing a bunch w/the discounted racks I may come in. Will watch for your other thread on group buy when you post it.

As for ideas, 2" extension is a must, if you could go 3" I would. I also wonder if some sort of quick-release handle for the trays is worth considering, because otherwise it looks like one would need to unscrew for bolts on the trays to remove the rack (if I'm understanding how it works). Of course that raises security concern, so I'm wondering if there's a way to provide a link/loop to the car frame (e.g. next to trailer plug) that people could run a bike lock chain through.

Moto_Joe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Sport Tourismo (waiting on allotment)
Country flag
For those who are concerned about lighting, there are some products out there for motorcyclists that use a decelerometer. I’m sure you could work something up to power the lights. https://www.skenelights.com/. These are amazingly bright and would satisfy those wanting additional tail lights.

Moto_Joe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Sport Tourismo (waiting on allotment)
Country flag
I don’t have my ST yet (or any darn time soon I’m afraid!), but could you remove the front wheel and slide a couple of bikes in the back? Never fitted a hitch to my Lexus RX and take the bikes that way. A hitch rack is of course ideal imho.

Bry5on

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'70 electric Jaguar, ‘21 Taycan 4S CT
Country flag
@Bry5on the 1up hardware has tamper-proof sockets in their hardware but obviously not totally safe for the well prepared thieves.

Do you have an example of the locking ball-lock pin? Sounds like it would be as simple as adding a hole to the bars for the pin to engage.

Also, for locking bikes to the trays 1up have these wheel locks too.
Glad they’ve got a wheel lock solution already, thanks for sharing that.

Here’s what I used on my other car - all that’s needed is a hole, you’re right. I’m not sure if it can be packaged in the current design without a bit of an architecture change though.

https://www.mcmaster.com/91085A107

dickp

First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.dickpitini.com
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4
Country flag
My Porsche bike carrier rack just broke at one of the upright support bar points. Will be following up with my Dealer next week on replacement or return. In the meantime, I plan to use the two factory bars that attach to the CT and purchase a 1UP tray and attach it to the factory bars as a back up or replacement solution. Not very impressed right now with the Porsche bike carrier. The folding devises of the rack make it prone to failure.

philbur

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1997 911 C2 (993), 2015 Cayenne S, 1978 VW Bus
Country flag
My Porsche bike carrier rack just broke at one of the upright support bar points. Will be following up with my Dealer next week on replacement or return. In the meantime, I plan to use the two factory bars that attach to the CT and purchase a 1UP tray and attach it to the factory bars as a back up or replacement solution. Not very impressed right now with the Porsche bike carrier. The folding devises of the rack make it prone to failure.
Can you share a pic? I wonder if you could order just the bars from Porsche parts.

dickp

First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.dickpitini.com
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4
Country flag
Can you share a pic? I wonder if you could order just the bars from Porsche parts.
It's hard to see, but the broken side is on the right- first photo. functioning side on the left - second photo. It's still usable, but not working correctly. I have to use a pry tool to flip the bracket on the broken side. I will be going to dealer next week to peruse options. As I'm sure everyone knows these racks are hard to come by, so a replacement is likely to take quite a while. And I think ordering just the bars will not be an option. So I am thinking that using the factory bars that I have with a 1Up tray, until I can figure out how have new bars made will be the best option. Then return the factory rack for a refund due to defect.

Porsche Taycan Custom Rear Bike Rack Installed with 1up Trays IMG_1159.JPG

Porsche Taycan Custom Rear Bike Rack Installed with 1up Trays IMG_1160.JPG

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
Ordered a 60" length online. Local metal shop works too.

Breakdown of what I spent for this one off. Raw material and anodizing would be much cheaper in qty.

Aluminum tube 60" $150
M8 SS screws (box of 25) $14
Anodizing $110
1up tray rack (qty2) MSRP $520
Plastic end caps $14
TOTAL spent for materials $808.

1up cargo tray only MSRP $355
Bit confused as to the deal you struck with 1up - the racks I'd be interested in would have to support my current 2 full suspension Mtn bikes (no prob re weights) but also potentially two future hybrid electric/std Mtn bikes which of course are somewhat heavier. I like the look/spec of their Equip-D models but the second bike needs to be less than 35 lbs - I'm looking at Trek's E-Caliber and at 34lbs that should be just fine but other model/brands are heavier - hence the Heavy Duty might be the way to go.

Anyway, all that said, I do not see an option in their site to buy just the racks vs racks+hitch but I may be missing the link? Can we buy just the racks? And is the discount being offered by them applicable across their line or only to specific models?

Regardless, awesome that they are stepping up.

Thx in advance,
Cheers, C.

Porsche Taycan Custom Rear Bike Rack Installed with 1up Trays Screen Shot 2022-03-27 at 9.10.24 PM

OP
OP
bsclywilly

bsclywilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
@ciaranob the racks are the roof mounted racks that can be purchased individually. They differ from the hitch racks in that the trays have a t-slot that’s adjustable for mounting on the bar spacing of the Taycan. 75lb limit each. Should be no problem with 2 e-bikes. The bars were designed with an even higher load limit of 200lbs concentrated at the end of the bars so should be no issue at all.

https://www.1up-usa.com/product/roof-rack/

The discount I asked for was just for the rack linked above. If there are other requests for other parts I can ask if that 10% applies across the board.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
@ciaranob the racks are the roof mounted racks that can be purchased individually. They differ from the hitch racks in that the trays have a t-slot that’s adjustable for mounting on the bar spacing of the Taycan. 75lb limit each. Should be no problem with 2 e-bikes. The bars were designed with an even higher load limit of 200lbs concentrated at the end of the bars so should be no issue at all.

https://www.1up-usa.com/product/roof-rack/

The discount I asked for was just for the rack linked above. If there are other requests for other parts I can ask if that 10% applies across the board.
Ah thx for clarifying - makes much more sense :)
Sponsored