SRQ661

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
I centrally appreciate getting the rack. And only intended to share info. about the rack. However; I hate to see folks using that to "challenge" anyone at Porsche. I suspect that they will become more available shortly.
It was a goodnatured challenge. Not to worry…
Sponsored

timo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan GTS, Sequoia
Country flag
Well done.

Does anyone know if the sedans have the same mounting points?

OP
OP
bsclywilly

bsclywilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
Well done.

Does anyone know if the sedans have the same mounting points?
They aren’t available as an option for the sedans. But the brackets that hold the rear rack are just bolted on top of the bumper beam attachment points and share the same bolts. The bumper beam also has some notches cut out for clearance. I could imagine if you could get the brackets and bumper beam, that one could also install them on the sedan.

OP
OP
bsclywilly

bsclywilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
Great job - very cool - only thing that jumps out at me is the lack of protection for your rear hatch/car body in the event of front/back motion of the bikes say in severe braking or rough roads or whatever. Do you plan on a simply protection bar/stabilizer add-on?
The 1up rack is pretty secure but yes, I would estimate under a 1g decel that you might get up to 2-3 inches of forward movement. I fit a Levo on today (ebike with wide q-factor and wide platform pedals) probably the worst case scenario and it is close. Pedals can spin without touching the tail gate statically and would be close in a worst case decel. With the pedals at 12 o’clock. I could slide the inner tray back a couple inches or if I did it again I’d probably make the tubes 2” longer.
Porsche Taycan Custom Rear Bike Rack Installed with 1up Trays DBBF64DA-FCED-469D-8AF7-511851F47685

Of course the other item would be how visible the brake/indicator lighting is with the bikes loaded?

And finally I'm guessing your rear sensors don't like the rack being there - do you have to turn off park assist and just grin and bear it when reversing?

PS: excellent choice re Quickjack :)
I’m not concerned with brake light visibility since the light bar is the whole width of the car.

I did find that the rear parking sensors are at least silenced when you’re going forward. For example pulling into a parking stall you don’t get annoying beeps from the rear. And @dickp noticed the rear sensors and tailgate can be deactivated when the trailer light plug is installed so I plan to make a dummy plug. Although the beeping is always a good reminder you’ve got something sticking 2’ out the back

This is fantastic. Got a CAD that you can share? I was looking for a way to mount a rack to carry a cooler for camping and this would be awesome. I'm thinking of a rack mounted on a two sleeve tubes that would slide on to your tubes and held in place with pins. That'll give me the ability to move it out of the way just enough to open up the hatch.
This was “napkin sketch” stuff. I thought about doing a telescoping setup like you mentioned to accessing the rear hatch and quick removal but instead just wanted something quick and simple. For your application, I’d probably say a slider is not necessary. The edge of the tailgate doesn’t move back much until higher up so you’d probably clear a cooler easily.
Porsche Taycan Custom Rear Bike Rack Installed with 1up Trays 20058711-F315-47DF-8FA2-DD540B8C4430

The sockets in the car are 48mm diameter and about 90mm deep and the pins are 12mm diameter and 46mm from the end. I machined them out of 30” long, 2”ODx1.5”ID 6061AL tubes. @Bry5on The pins are M8 cap screws with their heads turned down to 12mm.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
I got my Porsche bike rack today.
Congrats - man I'm simply jealous :) Was told by my SA I might see one in mid-Feb!!! Any special ordering sequence you went through to get this so early?

SRQ661

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
Congrats - man I'm simply jealous :) Was told by my SA I might see one in mid-Feb!!! Any special ordering sequence you went through to get this so early?
I ordered it at the beginning of August…

OP
OP
bsclywilly

bsclywilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
Made a dummy trailer light plug to disable the rear park sensors and tailgate function.
Porsche Taycan Custom Rear Bike Rack Installed with 1up Trays EE92618C-2630-40AE-9D02-1FE621EB654A

Porsche Taycan Custom Rear Bike Rack Installed with 1up Trays 166B298C-FEB2-4395-9208-15EBEF8DD53A

Rear PDC is disabled. Comfort access is disabled. Power lift gate is disabled but you can still unlatch the tailgate with the touch screen controls. The button on the bumper still functions as normal with power lift.

Figured you need a minimum 3 resistors for the right indicator, left indicator and one of the rear lights. Otherwise you get trailer light out warnings on the dash. After doing some searches online there’re several forum posts describing how to make this. Surprised nobody sells a premade dummy plug in the market. Will do a separate thread with more details after the weekend.
Porsche Taycan Custom Rear Bike Rack Installed with 1up Trays 716BED93-400B-410D-BC80-8AE78BCD6D8C

Porsche Taycan Custom Rear Bike Rack Installed with 1up Trays 1A657740-6DD8-4213-8889-ED3533D32FC4

Parts:
3 resistors - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DL898MZ?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details
Plug - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N9ZWYSN?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

Also need a short length of 20-22ga wire and solder connectors.

Basic instructions are that pinouts 1/4/5 need a resistor inline to pin 3 (ground).
Porsche Taycan Custom Rear Bike Rack Installed with 1up Trays 986CEA52-5A89-40D4-8D0D-56F178C2D562

Last edited:

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
Made a dummy trailer light plug to disable the rear park sensors and tailgate function.
EE92618C-2630-40AE-9D02-1FE621EB654A.jpeg

166B298C-FEB2-4395-9208-15EBEF8DD53A.jpeg

Rear PDC is disabled. Comfort access is disabled. Power lift gate is disabled but you can still unlatch the tailgate with the touch screen controls. The button on the bumper still functions as normal with power lift.

Figured you need a minimum 3 resistors for the right indicator, left indicator and one of the rear lights. Otherwise you get trailer light out warnings on the dash. After doing some searches online there’re several forum posts describing how to make this. Surprised nobody sells a premade dummy plug in the market. Will do a separate thread with more details after the weekend.
716BED93-400B-410D-BC80-8AE78BCD6D8C.jpeg

1A657740-6DD8-4213-8889-ED3533D32FC4.jpeg
Excellent job! I'm curious as to what is temporarily disabled with the OEM rack - just the PDC? Assume they pin it to allow most of these features to remain on, so conceivably you might still be able to replicate that? Might be other blockers to doing that I guess (no real skill set here so speculating!)?

Last edited:

dickp

First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.dickpitini.com
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4
Country flag
For folks that are using the Porsche Bike Carrier the electrical plug disables the lane change assist lights in the rear view mirrors. Wonder if there is a way to modify the plug so as to make the lane change assist lights continue to function?

SRQ661

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
For folks that are using the Porsche Bike Carrier the electrical plug disables the lane change assist lights in the rear view mirrors. Wonder if there is a way to modify the plug so as to make the lane change assist lights continue to function?
Thanks for the heads up. What if the electrical plug isn’t plugged in?

dickp

First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.dickpitini.com
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4
Country flag
Thanks for the heads up. What if the electrical plug isn’t plugged in?
If it is not plugged in then of course the lane change assist lights work; however then you do not have the advantages of the plug - parking sensors disabled, preventing the rear hatch from accidentally hitting the carrier, and having lights on the carrier.

SRQ661

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
If it is not plugged in then of course the lane change assist lights work; however then you do not have the advantages of the plug - parking sensors disabled, preventing the rear hatch from accidentally hitting the carrier, and having lights on the carrier.
I forgot about the rear hatch. Thanks again!
Sponsored