powderpc

First Name
Kelvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
20 Taycan 4S, 22 Bronco, Wrangler 4xe
Country flag
Looks really great. Guess there is no way to open the hatch without taking the bikes off first. I just got the Porsche Rack & can see advantages to both set ups. Yours is certainly much more affordable.
The nice thing about the Audi etron is that you can open the rear hatch with a hitch bike rack not even tilted or swung open. It makes the CT kinda silly IMO considering how expensive it is compared to an etron.
Sponsored

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
The nice thing about the Audi etron is that you can open the rear hatch with a hitch bike rack not even tilted or swung open. It makes the CT kinda silly IMO considering how expensive it is compared to an etron.
My E46 and ate E91 BMW Sport wagons for which I had a rear carrier essentially identical to the one for the CT also were able to open the rear hatch window separately i.e. you could access rear through it w/o having to tilt carrier and open the whole rear hatch. When I first saw the CT I just assumed it would have this option too and was a bit surprised TBH that it did not (rear design as is would don't allow this anyway I guess).

Sf-bay-taycan-seeker

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT Turbo S, Tesla X, Tesla Y
Country flag
The sockets in the car are 48mm diameter and about 90mm deep and the pins are 12mm diameter and 46mm from the end. I machined them out of 30” long, 2”ODx1.5”ID 6061AL tubes. @Bry5on The pins are M8 cap screws with their heads turned down to 12mm.
Thank you so much for posting these details. I am going to make my own just like this - maybe make the tubes 6" longer.

OP
OP
bsclywilly

bsclywilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
For folks that are using the Porsche Bike Carrier the electrical plug disables the lane change assist lights in the rear view mirrors. Wonder if there is a way to modify the plug so as to make the lane change assist lights continue to function?
I don't have LCA optioned but I assume it would be the same if I did.

I suspect LCA uses the rear PDC sensors so even if you could modify the coding, it probably wouldn't work properly with a bike rack blocking the rear sensors. The pin outs are just for the lights and any "extra" pins aren't even wired. The tailgate and PDC functions were deactivated as soon as any of the lights sensed a resistance.

jasperp

First Name
jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla,porsche
Country flag
They aren’t available as an option for the sedans. But the brackets that hold the rear rack are just bolted on top of the bumper beam attachment points and share the same bolts. The bumper beam also has some notches cut out for clearance. I could imagine if you could get the brackets and bumper beam, that one could also install them on the sedan.
Do you have a picture of these bumper beam attachment points ?
I am considering trying to make bike rack solution for a sedan. It would be interesting to see how they attached the weight to the frame in the CT.

OP
OP
bsclywilly

bsclywilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
Do you have a picture of these bumper beam attachment points ?
I am considering trying to make bike rack solution for a sedan. It would be interesting to see how they attached the weight to the frame in the CT.
There's 3 bolts. My previous post said you might need a CT bumper beam but I think those cutouts are probably the same for sedan and CT and needed to access the bolts.
Porsche Taycan Custom Rear Bike Rack Installed with 1up Trays 1643661135500

You can take a look yourself pretty easily if you pull off the cover to access the tow hook attachment point on the right rear. There is even a handy tool in your frunk tool box made specifically for removing the cover. From the pics I've seen though, the sedan access cover doesn't seem to be as large as the CT cover so there is also that to consider if you get the brackets installed.

Bry5on

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'70 electric Jaguar, ‘21 Taycan 4S CT
Country flag
The sedan doesn’t have a removable cover on the left side unfortunately. Wagon only! This is actually what locked in my decision to not get the sedan after inspecting at the dealer.

jasperp

First Name
jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla,porsche
Country flag
There's 3 bolts. My previous post said you might need a CT bumper beam but I think those cutouts are probably the same for sedan and CT and needed to access the bolts.
1643661135500.png

You can take a look yourself pretty easily if you pull off the cover to access the tow hook attachment point on the right rear. There is even a handy tool in your frunk tool box made specifically for removing the cover. From the pics I've seen though, the sedan access cover doesn't seem to be as large as the CT cover so there is also that to consider if you get the brackets installed.
Thanks
I think I am going to try to remove the plastic bumper to have a better look. I would like to attach, somehow, a regular european tow bar. To attach a regular light-and-easy bike rack. Not that complex, proprietary system of Porsche.
Did anybody already remove the plastic rear bumper ? Is it easy to do ?

powderpc

First Name
Kelvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
20 Taycan 4S, 22 Bronco, Wrangler 4xe
Country flag
My E46 and ate E91 BMW Sport wagons for which I had a rear carrier essentially identical to the one for the CT also were able to open the rear hatch window separately i.e. you could access rear through it w/o having to tilt carrier and open the whole rear hatch. When I first saw the CT I just assumed it would have this option too and was a bit surprised TBH that it did not (rear design as is would don't allow this anyway I guess).
What I was saying is that the entire etron hatch opens to clear a hitch bike rack. It’s not the window (which doesn’t open). Maybe because they run batteries all the way to the back the trunk bumper sits quite high and the hatch does not run down as low as your typical SUV/hatch. It ends up being tricky for dogs jumping in…

OP
OP
bsclywilly

bsclywilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
Got my rack anodized and fully assembled. Looking very pro if I may say.
Porsche Taycan Custom Rear Bike Rack Installed with 1up Trays 8F0A09BE-3192-4D04-A4FA-111420F94508

Porsche Taycan Custom Rear Bike Rack Installed with 1up Trays C02386DC-376B-4DFB-82E6-7921ADE75985

Converted to flush mount bolts for a cleaner look and it now just takes two bolts and about 30s to remove or install the rack. Trays are in fixed positions though but if I wanted more flexibility I could still go back to the sandwich style clamps seen in the original post.
Porsche Taycan Custom Rear Bike Rack Installed with 1up Trays 6EEF3471-E14E-4160-98BA-17AE22A8AC7F

Porsche Taycan Custom Rear Bike Rack Installed with 1up Trays 4F530CAE-D27A-4BA7-A2D2-72BD2079471A

And the tailgate does clear one road/ gravel bike. Pardon my partially gutted garage. In the middle of a reno…

OP
OP
bsclywilly

bsclywilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
Thanks
I think I am going to try to remove the plastic bumper to have a better look. I would like to attach, somehow, a regular european tow bar. To attach a regular light-and-easy bike rack. Not that complex, proprietary system of Porsche.
If I were determined to get a hitch mount on a sedan, I would make a hitch mount that replaces the bumper beam and have the square receiver exit behind the license plate. Totally stealth when not in use!

What I was saying is that the entire etron hatch opens to clear a hitch bike rack.
The etron is an outlier in that respect. And then you still need room to squeeze your body between bike and car. Tilting most racks is pretty fast and easy since most of them are fairly well balanced.

jasperp

First Name
jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla,porsche
Country flag
If I were determined to get a hitch mount on a sedan, I would make a hitch mount that replaces the bumper beam and have the square receiver exit behind the license plate. Totally stealth when not in use!
You read my mind. I was having the same idea.
I need to remove the bumper first and get a better look on how to attach this properly.

Bry5on

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'70 electric Jaguar, ‘21 Taycan 4S CT
Country flag
This is way better than the OEM rack, coming from someone with an OEM rack. I might just sell mine and make one of these instead.

Looks nice with the anodize on there too!
Sponsored

Last edited: