philbur

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1997 911 C2 (993), 2015 Cayenne S, 1978 VW Bus
Country flag
1Up tray with factory bike carrier bars. Hoping I can keep the bars and return the rack. I much prefer the 1Up solution. Much cleaner and the rear hatch has plenty of room to open with 1 tray mounted.

IMG_1165.JPG

IMG_1166.JPG
Love it! is there a Porsche part number on the bars? Im just after the bars and will build out from there

dickp

First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.dickpitini.com
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4
Country flag
Love it! is there a Porsche part number on the bars? Im just after the bars and will build out from there
I will be checking in the next few weeks to see if the bars can be purchased separately. I would bet that they cannot. The factory bars I am using came with the factory bike carrier rack.

OP
OP
bsclywilly

bsclywilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
1Up tray with factory bike carrier bars. Hoping I can keep the bars and return the rack. I much prefer the 1Up solution. Much cleaner and the rear hatch has plenty of room to open with 1 tray mounted.

IMG_1165.JPG

IMG_1166.JPG
Awesome. Looks great! Do you know how thick the Porsche bars are? I assume they’re steel. It worrries me a bit to see them mounted so close to the ends of the tubes in case the tubes compress causing the clamps to loosen.

dickp

First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.dickpitini.com
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4
Country flag
Awesome. Looks great! Do you know how thick the Porsche bars are? I assume they’re steel. It worrries me a bit to see them mounted so close to the ends of the tubes in case the tubes compress causing the clamps to loosen.
The factory bars are steel, 2.2in diameter. Of course the tray can be mounted further back on the bars, as long as the hatch will clear the bike.

dickp

First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.dickpitini.com
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4
Country flag
The factory bars are steel, 2.2in diameter. Of course the tray can be mounted further back on the bars, as long as the hatch will clear the bike.
Also the Porsche factory bike carrier rack is rated at 132 lbs.

Bry5on

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'70 electric Jaguar, ‘21 Taycan 4S CT
Country flag
Factory tubes look to be about 1/4” thick - those fasteners would go before the bars would deform :)

edit: 1/8” thick. Still beefy

Last edited:

lcarron

First Name
Laurent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cross Turismo 4S
Country flag

IMG_1165.JPG

IMG_1166.JPG
Nice and light setup.
Do you think that a 2.8 mountain bike tire will fit?

dickp

First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.dickpitini.com
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4
Country flag
Nice and light setup.
Do you think that a 2.8 mountain bike tire will fit?
This from 1Up website: "– Fits 16″–29″ wheels, up to 3.1″ wide (see spacer kit for tires wider than 3.1″)."

OP
OP
bsclywilly

bsclywilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
If anyone has a good relationship with a machine shop, please let me know. It's been a while since my last update and frankly, I haven't got any good leads. Shops willing to quote are not many, smaller shops had issue with the 32" length of the bars, and other shops I have in my network are too backed up.

Feel free to DM me.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
If anyone has a good relationship with a machine shop, please let me know. It's been a while since my last update and frankly, I haven't got any good leads. Shops willing to quote are not many, smaller shops had issue with the 32" length of the bars, and other shops I have in my network are too backed up.

Feel free to DM me.
Thx for the update - was about to ask what the status was :)

dickp

First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.dickpitini.com
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4
Country flag
Thx for the update - was about to ask what the status was :)
I have a good machine shop locally that seems interested in making the bars for me & then possibly opening up to the forum group. I should know more in the next couple of weeks. I am currently using the factory bars with the 1Up tray and will be letting the machine shop look at the configuration soon. I'm estimating that they would run around $700. Does that seem reasonable?

FrankMCG

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Turbo S 2017
Country flag
Great setup and nice job. Is it possible to transfer kayaks by adding roof rack part somehow? I got a rack similar to it but it's disgusting!

Last edited:
OP
OP
bsclywilly

bsclywilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
Alright, it's official!! Custom Cross Turismo Rear Bike Rack-Group Buy

Thanks to my wife, she reached out to some of her contacts in China and a very reputable tooling shop she's worked with for ages was willing to machine these bars for us. Costs, shipping and timeline included in the link above. If you're interested, please respond there as I've set a relatively short deadline of 4/22. This is mainly so we can get the racks in our hands at the start of summer.

fred23

First Name
frederick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yamaha
Country flag
I took two 1UP USA van trays, a pair of toggle clamps to latch to the stock D-ring tie-downs, and built a wood frame for bike trays. They oriented opposite of their hitch rack. it wedges the front wheel down against the rear of the cab/front of the bed. I'll run a bungee or strap through these rear wheels. Originally tried using some rivet nuts, but the location I drilled near the cab had a bracket nearby that prevented install of rivet nut. The ribs on the bottom of the bed are also narrower than the base of the bike tray so it didn't support it well from side-to-side wobble.
Sponsored