damaged PPF

maddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (ordered)
Country flag
this is my first car with PPF. I just noticed this on my door (passenger side - back door). I can’t quite figure how this happened. Could it be a stone while driving or someone putting in their key in anger ? Parking garage is trying to check all cameras but i’m just surprised, how it happened. Literally the seams week where the parking driver hit my car on the curb and damaged the rim and tire.

Also, fixing = replacing entire door panel ? Should I get it done now ?

Porsche Taycan damaged PPF 464D4656-67FB-42EA-AAAA-C8847F43341F
Sponsored

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
As I always preach - PPF is a must. Good news is that is what it's there for. I have seen my share of strange PPF damage over the last 20 years.

Replace the entire piece/panel. No rush since it's already compromised.

ThePaddyWan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Polestar 2, Maverick
Country flag
Probably a stone. I had a rock hit my car/PPF and put a similar looking chip maybe a week after it was installed. Annoying, but, I just remind myself, better the PPF than the car's paint. Happened on the hood. I'm still debating replacing it or just waiting for enough to make the replacement worth. Figure, what are the odds that a rock hits the exact same spot?! 😅

TaycanCook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MG 4S CT
Country flag
I don't know how big that is, but if you want a piece of ppf to put over it, let me know. I can give you a piece.

I'm of the opinion that PPF is a wear & tear item, so it'll be replaced periodically, and this certainly qualifies for a replacement.

jkoya

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan CT4, 23 Mini Cooper SE on order
Country flag
My daily driver Chevy Volt has a similar PPF tear on the front bumper. It's been there for 5 years and has not spread or peeled. I don't see any dirt accumulating under the edges either. The PPF did its job and protected the paint. I just left it and I don't notice it anymore....

TaycanCook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MG 4S CT
Country flag
My daily driver Chevy Volt has a similar PPF tear on the front bumper. It's been there for 5 years and has not spread or peeled. I don't see any dirt accumulating under the edges either. The PPF did its job and protected the paint. I just left it and I don't notice it anymore....
Absolutely, this is cool too. It all depends on what you want.

OP
OP

maddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (ordered)
Country flag
I’m being charged $850 for redoing the PPF on that door. Then an additional $100 for ceramic. Sounds right ?

Should I check with another installer. But would that lead to 2 different shades ?

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
I’m being charged $850 for redoing the PPF on that door. Then an additional $100 for ceramic. Sounds right ?
Could be. It’s was $650 for me to redo the front bumper recently (just picked the car back up today, actually).

QueenBean

First Name
Jill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Polestar 2, Rubicon 4xe, F-Pace
Country flag
Had a similar strike on our Model S (no PPF) at the driver's door causing a deep chip to the aluminum. Guessing it was debris on a very windy night.

Odds of getting the same damage in exactly the same location is very low. I would probably wait for more damage before replacing the PPF there. Wait until you have significant damaged PPF in other locations like the front end and have them all replaced at the same time.

Bigben

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover L405 4.4L SDV8, VW T-ROC R, Yamaha FZ8
Country flag
Sounds very expensive. Someone chipped my wrap on rear door and it was £150 to redo (cash job… so say up to $350 is fair). Then ceramic on top takes like 5min. If they don’t want to open a new bottle for 1 panel, ask to come in when they’re coating another car at the same time. Should be $50 tops.

So $400 all in from my Western European view

OP
OP

maddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (ordered)
Country flag
Hi all,
I got a cheaper quote from a PPF place which does a fairly good job. Do you think there will be any issues (color difference, etc) ? I can go back to the original PPF company but they are charging me a lot more and are quite busy through out the summer.
Thanks

Bigben

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover L405 4.4L SDV8, VW T-ROC R, Yamaha FZ8
Country flag
As long as they’re using exactly the same PPF reference it shouldn’t be an issue at all

There can be colour consistency issues with wraps (different batches) and how they’re laid (if they’re directional, there will be arrows at the back to ensure they reflect light consistently throughout all panels) but not PPFs.

Just make sure you check your original invoice to get the exact ref

How much cheaper to educate us?

OP
OP

maddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (ordered)
Country flag
As long as they’re using exactly the same PPF reference it shouldn’t be an issue at all

There can be colour consistency issues with wraps (different batches) and how they’re laid (if they’re directional, there will be arrows at the back to ensure they reflect light consistently throughout all panels) but not PPFs.

Just make sure you check your original invoice to get the exact ref

How much cheaper to educate us?
Thanks for the suggestion. I will get the reference.

PPF + Ceramic (on rear door)
$950 vs $600 :(

Skilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag

Should I check with another installer. But would that lead to 2 different shades ?
that's just fleecing you - it shouldn't be that much; not even close..
Sponsored