Dashcam power supply from 12v cigarette lighter in boot

Taycan4sUK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4s
Country flag
Hi,

I am planning to install Thinkware u1000 dual channel dashcam and thinking of using power supply from 12v cigarette lighter in boot rather than hardwire to fusebox for warranty purposes.
I understand the boot 12v supply remains powered for approx. 30 mins after car has been switched off/locked.
Has anybody used 12v cigarette lighter in boot for dashcam power supply and has it caused any issues with battery drainage?
Any other options which does not cause warranty issues

Thanks
Sponsored

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
I haven't but after recent software upgrades etc, the HV battery tops up the 12v battery if need be, so don't think 30 minutes and then off will have any impact.

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
Hi,

I am planning to install Thinkware u1000 dual channel dashcam and thinking of using power supply from 12v cigarette lighter in boot rather than hardwire to fusebox for warranty purposes.
I understand the boot 12v supply remains powered for approx. 30 mins after car has been switched off/locked.
Has anybody used 12v cigarette lighter in boot for dashcam power supply and has it caused any issues with battery drainage?
Any other options which does not cause warranty issues

Thanks
I use it to power a 2 channel dashcam. It has not caused any issues.

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
I've had no issues in 12 months of powering the rear camera from that socket, and I do plenty of short journeys so the camera is often powered longer when the car's parked than when it's being driven.

CxM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I've been using a U1000 and an iVolt battery, powered by the 12v cigarette lighter with no issues.

Last edited:

V10tdi

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 GTS 991.2,discovery sport, defender 90 300tdi
Country flag
Hi

i use the one in the centre armrest with my Blackvue works perfectly and yes switches of after 30 mins

MTGBUK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi SQ7, Turbo S CT (Received :)
Country flag
I have the same Thinkware U1000 with iVolt backup battery wired into the 12V in the boot with no isssues. You can set the iVolt to draw at either 7A or 5A. If you're frequently driving the car I imagine the ivolt will be at full charge most of the times when you turn the car off.