Dashcam power usage and effect on range decrease?

Tom32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Did anyone do calculations how much percentage wise does use of a dashcam affect range of Taycan? For instance by checking Blackvue DR900X-2CH DMS on https://shop.blackvue.com/dashcam-comparison-table/ it says that power consumption hour would be 700mA/12V. Am I correct that would equal ~0.0084 kWh?

Assuming that Taycan uses 20kWh, that would mean a dashcam would take about 0.04% of whole usage. Seems a bit low, am I missing something?
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Did anyone do calculations how much percentage wise does use of a dashcam affect range of Taycan? For instance by checking Blackvue DR900X-2CH DMS on https://shop.blackvue.com/dashcam-comparison-table/ it says that power consumption hour would be 700mA/12V. Am I correct that would equal ~0.0084 kWh?

Assuming that Taycan uses 20kWh, that would mean a dashcam would take about 0.04% of whole usage. Seems a bit low, am I missing something?
I wouldn't worry about calculating the power draw at all. Turn your AC down a notch to compensate if you are worried!

TXAG

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
When compared to propulsion, the dashcam doesn't draw much from the big battery while driving. Can anyone clarify the risk of the dashcam draining the 12V battery when parked?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
When compared to propulsion, the dashcam doesn't draw much from the big battery while driving. Can anyone clarify the risk of the dashcam draining the 12V battery when parked?
The HV battery should keep the 12v topped up.

The Porsche dash cam has a 'parked' mode which obviously changes the operation mode and power utilisation - perhaps the OP camera has similar?

OP
OP

Tom32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
The HV battery should keep the 12v topped up.

The Porsche dash cam has a 'parked' mode which obviously changes the operation mode and power utilisation - perhaps the OP camera has similar?
I don't have my Taycan yet (original estimate was August, but I am still waiting), my way of killing the time waiting was trying to think of the dashcam I want and I wondered if I should value its power usage when deciding :) Seeing the answers you guys give I assume I should not :D

800v

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Note that the latest model is the DR900X plus which has a better sensor.

I have a thread here where instead of using the 12v battery, I use the blackvue extension battery for parking -- this only lasts for about 24 hours though while as you calculated, the hv battery can run the dashcam for a looonngg time :)

paulbroere

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.paulbroere.com
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Sport Turismo, BMW Z4M Roadster
Country flag
People often underestimate how much energy is in an EV’s battery. Your calculation is right, 700mA (0,7Ah) @12Volts = 8,4W, so 0,0084kW. (so 0,0084kWh after an hour of use)

Apart from energy needed for driving, the HAVC system and maybe a 1000+Watt audio system are the only energy-consumers that may have a (somewhat) noticeable inpact on range. Maybe the PCM a little bit also
everything else (lights, whipers, charging your mobilephone, etc.) is nigligible. Also seat-heating for example in winter uses somewhere around 1/10 of energy that the HVAC-system will use (roughly)

edit: it doesn’t matter if systems draw energy from the 12V battery. The 12V battery will be charged by the HV battery, and in the end, Watts are Watts and come (in the end) from the HV-battery anyway.
Sponsored