Dashcam

maddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (ordered)
Country flag
After the series of accidents in the parking lot, I’m thinking to get a dashcam installed. Seems like i should go for BlackVue 9000 (front and rear). Anyone has other suggestions ? Is the interior camera of any use if someone scratches/dents your car’s doors ? I see most cameras can cover front and rear, but as both times my car was hit on side, I was wondering if there is a way to capture that. I don’t think so but thought i’d still ask.

plus, i’m based in NYC. Anyone know of a good installer ?
Sponsored

QueenBean

First Name
Jill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Polestar 2, Rubicon 4xe, F-Pace
Country flag
Most DashCams only record a short period if there is a large impact while in parking mode. None of them work as well as Tesla Sentry Mode.

I used CarCam.nl because the installation is barely noticeable compares to Blackvue etc.

FitCamX might also have a very clean install option.

Any Porsche dealership, independent Porsche/Audi/VW shop, and many tint shops that sell electronics will install for you. Recommend reading reviews and maybe asking Porsche club members in your area for referrals.

OP
OP

maddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (ordered)
Country flag
Both the installers tell me, that BlackVue is better. I’m thinking between 2 or 3 channel. Any suggestions ?

Eleven2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD, 2021 Macan S
Country flag
I had BlackVue 9000 it overheats and shut down above 90F during summer days in NJ.

For the Taycan I got the DR750X-2CH with a B-124E battery pack which is required for parking monitoring. So far no problem in the couple hot days we had. Battery last about 20 hours.

QueenBean

First Name
Jill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Both the installers tell me, that BlackVue is better. I’m thinking between 2 or 3 channel. Any suggestions ?
They probably sell mostly Blackvue cams. Search Blackvue and you will find many complaints, as there are with Thinkware and other top brands.

Jayyvr890

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have had Blackvues on all my cars for many years, I highly recommend them. Superb image quality, easy to use app and it's even easier to look through the videos on your desktop. I think they also look the best (maybe apart from Fitcamx, but rear cam is important to me).

I have mine installed behind the rear view mirror and it's not visible from drivers seat. All the wires are tucked into the trim so no exposed wires. Because it's wired into the fuse box, it also records 24/7 which is nice. The cameras that use the power from rearview mirror shut off after a few minutes when the car is off.

Speuk

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT 4S in Dolomite Silver
Country flag
I have had Blackvues on all my cars for many years, I highly recommend them. Superb image quality, easy to use app and it's even easier to look through the videos on your desktop. I think they also look the best (maybe apart from Fitcamx, but rear cam is important to me).

I have mine installed behind the rear view mirror and it's not visible from drivers seat. All the wires are tucked into the trim so no exposed wires. Because it's wired into the fuse box, it also records 24/7 which is nice. The cameras that use the power from rearview mirror shut off after a few minutes when the car is off.
I'm planning to do the same. Is there a thread or can you provide details of which fuses you connected to? I assume you used piggy back fuse connectors to provide fused tails to connect to? Thanks in advance

Jayyvr890

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I'm planning to do the same. Is there a thread or can you provide details of which fuses you connected to? I assume you used piggy back fuse connectors to provide fused tails to connect to? Thanks in advance
I paid someone to do the install so I have no idea. Sorry!

OP
OP

maddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (ordered)
Country flag
Do I need the battery pack - because my main concern is parking mode.

Also, is there any way / camera I could monitor the side too ?

Jayyvr890

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Do I need the battery pack - because my main concern is parking mode.

Also, is there any way / camera I could monitor the side too ?
I don't have the battery pack and the camera is on 24/7 with it wired into the fuse box.

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
I don't have the battery pack and the camera is on 24/7 with it wired into the fuse box.
How long have you had this setup? I know a number of people have had issues with 12V battery drainage from this and virtually every other EV. I suspect that this is such a low drain that it won't matter if you drive it every day, but I would wonder about extended parking. Very interested to know, however, as it would be quite nice as a setup.

Jayyvr890

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
How long have you had this setup? I know a number of people have had issues with 12V battery drainage from this and virtually every other EV. I suspect that this is such a low drain that it won't matter if you drive it every day, but I would wonder about extended parking. Very interested to know, however, as it would be quite nice as a setup.
The big HV battery charges the 12V battery so not an issue. I've had the car 6 months. I've also had a Blackvue in my Cayenne hybrid as well for many years, no issue with draining the 12V battery.

Blackvue cameras will also shut down automatically if it detects the 12V voltage is too low. Used to be able to set a timer as well (eg. 2 hours, 4 hours, 6 hours) but haven't found this feature in the new cam.

OP
OP

maddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (ordered)
Country flag
i usually drive in the weekends. so will the battery last 6 days ? on parking mode.

Any one has the interior camera ?

QueenBean

First Name
Jill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
i usually drive in the weekends. so will the battery last 6 days ? on parking mode.

Any one has the interior camera ?
I do not have an interior camera. Have had no issues leaving the Taycan unplugged for over a week with any battery drain issues from the 2-channel CarCam dashcam.
Sponsored