Day after purchasing Taycan 4S Electrical system error and bricked car in the middle of the highway.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I'm wondering if you keep an eye on the 12 voltage if you will get an early indication of the problem which will enable you to pull over and restart car.
I am not convinced the recall/shutdown issue has anything to do with 12V. They say it's patched in software so...a bug is a bug.
Sponsored

Henke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I'll see your 2013 Model S ownership and raise you one year. I owned #43 Model S P85 off the line in 2012. Tesla's infotainment system and support for vehicle OTA updates was in 2012 ahead of where Porsche is today 8 years later. Tesla for the win on technology.

Tesla may also have a win on vehicle (electric or otherwise) manufacturing that ultimately means they can more cost effectively build the car they've designed. I've also driven the latest P100D Ludicrous mode Model S and despite its many improvements since 2012, it is still no match for the Taycan in terms of the intangible driving feel and enjoyment. Tesla paint quality/thickness always sucked and the spartan interior of the Model S while functional was never appealing. Porsche for the win with a better design.

So far, I've had no more issues in my first year of ownership with the first year produced Taycan than I had in my first year of Tesla ownership with the first year produced Model S. It's stayed on the road just fine. And like we have unfortunate owners on this forum hit with this motor / drive electronics issues, I knew of an equal number of Model S drivers hit with bad motor bearing issues, battery fuse assembly issues, improperly installed windshield issues (resulting in a crack) and plenty of other early model issues that kept their cars off the road. Call it a draw in first year quality and reliability.

If you enjoy driving, it's really a shame to be scared away by the relatively few issues experienced by Taycan drivers overall. You are missing out on the best driver's car on the road right now. If you want a rolling technology test bed, whose "autopilot" system may well kill you or someone else, you know where to go.
I've owned a Model S for 4 years and in that time, I've had one issue regarding the trunk opening which was fixed by a mobile service visit. To get them to do the mobile service was a initially a PITA though but we got it done.

Having ordered my Taycan 4S a couple of weeks ago, I must admit that reading through the posts on this forum has me slightly nervous. It is going to cost me a good wedge more than my Model S so I would hope that I get great service and a reliable car. I am hopeful that, as you say, it is relatively few issues and just seems worse than reality because everything is posted on this forum.

Henke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I'm gonna disagree. I'm a long-time Porsche driver (Taycan makes my 7th since 1998.) I love them and have a ton of brand loyalty.

I got my wife a Model 3 LR and we've both been very happy with it. I feel like after a month with the Taycan I can objectively compare the two. I don't have a "team" to cheerlead here as I like both manufacturers and want them both to succeed.

Charging experience: Tesla. The plug is just easier to fit, and the automatic charge door is nice. Porsche's system of timers/profiles is needlessly complex. Tesla you simply set a level and optional charge time window.

Home Charging speed: Tesla. Our HPWC runs at 48 amps for ~45mi/hr range. Porsche's runs at 40 for ~24mi/hr of range.

Fast DC Charging speed: Porsche wins here with the 270kW Electrify America chargers. Tesla v3 superchargers may even this up in time though.

Charging network: Tesla. I've had good experiences with the EA stations and plug-and-charge, but Tesla just has a lot more of them and a large lead here.

Apps/Software: Tesla. Their app is much better (why is Porsche spread across so many different apps?)

Navigation: Tesla. It's a car, used to go to places, so nav is front and center around everything you do. Porsche has their typical clunky experience.

Performance: Tesla. The Model 3 LR outperforms my RWD.

Range: Tesla.

Handling/Driving Pleasure: Porsche, and it's not close. I think the Model 3 is quite fun to drive but hate the S which feels completely dead. The Taycan feels like a Porsche should.

Interior fit/finish: Porsche, and it's not close here either.

Just my 0.02.

EDIT: Added fast DC charging.
I haven't had the pleasure of owning a Taycan yet (will be a few months before delivery) but I agree with most of what you are saying about the Tesla. The software and OTA updates have been a game changer for the auto industry but build quality and the interior is poor. It only took one test drive to fall in love with the Taycan and how beautifully it drives compared to my model S - it is not even close. One thing I might disagree on is range - I've never got close to what Tesla advertises as range unless I drive very very carefully. From what I've read, the Taycan range is at least as good and often better than advertised even at reasonable speeds.

TayJack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla MS, Taycan 4S (ETA 7/30) Range Rover
Country flag
I am driving T 75D and waiting on 4S. Tesla range is a joke. At Soc 90 % it starts our with estimate of 217 miles and by the time estimate is around 50 miles left, you have only driven 130 miles or less with around 300 wh/mile. I have had rattle coming from front end and had a ranger come out and he says he cannot hear it and wanted $85 for diagnosis. For a while car took 20 to 30 min to wake up. Music from USB starts from beginning every time you restart the car. Do you call arcade games, karaoke, fart sound a game changing software? This is my second Tesla and no more.

Chuck J

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Silver Taycan 4S, 2012 991 911 (sold), 1995 993 (Gave to son) 1965 356 (gave to son)
Country flag
I hope this is news. I have looked up on the NHTSA site and my 2020 4S is not listed as needing a recall. I talked to my dealer and and he did not find there was a recall for my VIN. I gave him the AMB5 (STOP DELIVERY--REPROGRAMING POWER ELECTRONICS) recall and my vehicle was not listed. Needless to say, I have no idea why my car is not included. That's the news, now the speculation. It could be that an option could be causing the problem and potentially it could be that part of the WMA5 update could have components or software that have caused the problem. I do not have the "track" type options but I do have the Sport Chrono Package.

I am having the WMA5 update done after I get back from my trip so I hope it's not that. I am really looking forward to a good explaination of what actually caused this instead of "software or component". I do keep the instrument panel on Voltage and i will be watching for an irregular voltage reading which I had been doing already because of the problems of people finding their car was a brick after charging that night and actually I always thought knowing that the charging system is working properly was important.

Chuck J

Last edited:

Chuck J

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Silver Taycan 4S, 2012 991 911 (sold), 1995 993 (Gave to son) 1965 356 (gave to son)
Country flag
This is very confusing. I don't know how the car could be in production and not have more than the 1,000 that are currently on the list. The only thing I can think of is that a previously install campaign put bad software in the cars. There is not enough detailed information to make an assessment but I am confident that there are more than 1,000. I have cancelled my planned road trip.

Chuck J

Tiredoftesla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S100D
Country flag
As someone who knows both cars extremely well (and actually owns/driven them) I will simply say: no, no it doesn’t. Whatever else you may think of Tesla, like it, own it, etc, it simply is false that it beats the Taycan in ANY metric except for range and you know, making fart noises.
Well as Dean Neal wrote when he reviewed the Taycan: "this car is SO GOOD it is 5/8 of a Tesla". Which means you are paying a huge premium for one thing: The Porsche Marque.

And for heaven's sake: Porsche can't even handle OTAs.

The other turn off of the Taycan: claustrophobic interior. External dimensions are the same as the S, but the interior is cramped as hell. It's basically a two passenger sports car with terrible back seat seating and absolutely no storage space. Tesla on the other hand is a legitimate five passenger sedan.

Tiredoftesla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S100D
Country flag
I've owned a Model S for 4 years and in that time, I've had one issue regarding the trunk opening which was fixed by a mobile service visit. To get them to do the mobile service was a initially a PITA though but we got it done.

Having ordered my Taycan 4S a couple of weeks ago, I must admit that reading through the posts on this forum has me slightly nervous. It is going to cost me a good wedge more than my Model S so I would hope that I get great service and a reliable car. I am hopeful that, as you say, it is relatively few issues and just seems worse than reality because everything is posted on this forum.
NHTSA reports over 40 Taycan 2020-21 owners have reported serious issues, most involving bricking.

For 2020- 2021 Tesla S, they have 25 total issues, all little stuff, none involving the electrical system or bricking. And of course there are an order of multitude more Teslas out there.

Henke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Well as Dean Neal wrote when he reviewed the Taycan: "this car is SO GOOD it is 5/8 of a Tesla". Which means you are paying a huge premium for one thing: The Porsche Marque.

The other turn off of the Taycan: claustrophobic interior. External dimensions are the same as the S, but the interior is cramped as hell. It's basically a two passenger sports car with terrible back seat seating and absolutely no storage space. Tesla on the other hand is a legitimate five passenger sedan.
I’ve owned a model S for 4 years. My first test drive in the Taycan was enough to convince me it is a far superior car from a comfort and driving experience point of view. Tesla’s software and OTA updates are great and the AP is pretty functional. I like how it has improved over time.

But for a car that can easily cost 100k, it is less comfortable than a 40k Lexus IS. The Porsche costs more because the build quality and driving experience is several orders of magnitude superior to the Tesla. I’m not a small guy and (unlike the Cayman) I certainly didn’t find the Taycan in any way claustrophobic either.

Henke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
NHTSA reports over 40 Taycan 2020-21 owners have reported serious issues, most involving bricking.

For 2020- 2021 Tesla S, they have 25 total issues, all little stuff, none involving the electrical system or bricking. And of course there are an order of multitude more Teslas out there.
How many issues did the model S have in the first couple of years? IIRC, there is a case of a family suing Tesla because AP wouldn’t switch off and killed someone.

Henke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
It had LOTS! That’s the point …
Anecdotally, Porsche seems to have had less issues than Tesla did and seems to be fixing the issues fairly rapidly. I also trust their business more than the whimsical antics (and frankly outright dishonesty) from Elon Musk.

The choice is between a car with far more build quality and much more enjoyable to drive versus a car with better, more reliable software & a much more mature OTA update process.

benver

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2020 Porsche Taycan Turbo
Country flag
No idea where he got his math lessons, but 5/8 is less than 1, so don't understand his "SO GOOD", unless it's sarcastic.
BS, Porsche can handle OTA just fine and use it for updates that are not influencing safety of the car. Map updates all come in via OTA, so your statement is simply wrong.
I am happy and fully agree with their choice to do all updates that influence the safety at a PC.
Order the panoramic roof and any claustrophobic issues are gone. And yes, deal with it, it's a sports sedan with the drive position, drive-ability and feel of a 911. Us Taycan owners couldn't ask for more!

Porsche is absolutely not perfect and the Taycan is not a perfect car, there is plenty that should be improved and over time will be improved. Still, I am happy with my Taycan and plan to enjoy it for many years to come.
Sponsored