Day after purchasing Taycan 4S Electrical system error and bricked car in the middle of the highway.

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Audi E-tron
Country flag
This did remind me of stuff my 17 y/o does; create an account with a name like Timmy (SouthPark reference) and lives in “the metaverse”. He and his friends post things just for reactions.
Folks on this forum are kinder and more believing than I am I guess. Best to error in the side of caution I suppose.
Agreed. Throw into the mix car fanatics who are willing to troll other brands, and it wouldn't surprise me. There is a Model 3 owner on Rennlist who has no interest in Porsche but is there to bash the Taycan and promote Tesla. :rolleyes:

I'm trying to give this guy the benefit of the doubt. Part of what makes Porsche so great isn't the brand, but the community.
Sponsored

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
10 NHTSA reports is a high number for for a population of 6k Taycans in the US. If you look at other brands and other issues many safety recalls are issued for smaller number of cases.
If there was an accident due to issue investigation could have started sooner.
I had this problem, and am one of the NHSTA reports. The 10 NHSTA reports are probably not because of the battery issue, but are most likely a result of the most recent software update campaign that causes an overload in communication to the rear motor which shuts the car down. I spoke directly with the lead technician at my dealership and he had spoken directly to Porsche. They acknowledged the problem, and sent over a 'patch' to correct the overload.

If this problem is only affecting the cars that have been recently updated, then the total number is much less than 6K, and the frequency is much higher. My dealership has updated 7 cars, and I had the problem so that's at least 1/7. I'm not sure whether they have had any other reports.

OP
OP

Day1taycan

First Name
Timmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Just curious, have you filed a report with NHTSA? If not, why not?
Was waiting to hear back from my dealership (still haven't and they didn't answer my call). My Porsche connect app also seems to have the privacy bug so I can't tell where the car is.

And apologies if some people don't like my choice of pseudonym. I'm not exaggerating that we could have been killed. Multiple cars had to swerve out of the way to avoid hitting us before the police were able to get to us. So I am trying to alert the community while still maintaining some privacy in case legal action is required. This is clearly a very serious issue and shouldn't require a major accident or death to make that clear. https://carbuzz.com/news/theres-a-troubling-porsche-taycan-investigation

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Was waiting to hear back from my dealership (still haven't and they didn't answer my call). My Porsche connect app also seems to have the privacy bug so I can't tell where the car is.

And apologies if some people don't like my choice of pseudonym. I'm not exaggerating that we could have been killed. Multiple cars had to swerve out of the way to avoid hitting us before the police were able to get to us. So I am trying to alert the community while still maintaining some privacy in case legal action is required. This is clearly a very serious issue and shouldn't require a major accident or death to make that clear. https://carbuzz.com/news/theres-a-troubling-porsche-taycan-investigation
You said that the police helped tow the car out of the highway, so if there is a police report or any photos with the police around that is strong evidence that you should include in the complaint (you can upload documentation, photos, etc)

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm really trying to give you the benefit of the doubt here, but this is starting to sound like trolling. The worst Porsche dealership in the country will answer your call during business hours and would speak to you if you purchased a $100k+ car on Friday, then had it break down on Saturday. Also, still doesn't make sense that the Police would tow the car instead of a private towing company taking it directly to the dealership. You just dropped $100k+ on a car and have no idea where it is?

I'm starting to think pictures or it didn't happen. Maybe some other proof. We have been provided the absolute minimum of details that could have been created by reading anyone of the misc articles recently published about this. I understand the desire for privacy, but you've got to at least provide some details. We don't even know what state lemon laws could be applied or what Dealership could be treating you like crap. Let alone any details of your car other than a Taycan 4S.

I would suggest closing this thread.

To the original post, if you are interested in keeping the car (doesn't sound like it) I suggest following this thread:

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/i-lost-all-power-in-the-outside-lane.2950/

If you are simply trying to get your money back, then you'll need to work with Porsche NA and also research your states lemon laws, and possibly hire an attorney. Every state is different, and I don't know the lemon laws in the metaverse.

I apologize if you are truly going through this, but you need to understand the skepticism.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I'm really trying to give you the benefit of the doubt here, but this is starting to sound like trolling. The worst Porsche dealership in the country will answer your call during business hours and would speak to you if you purchased a $100k+ car on Friday, then had it break down on Saturday. Also, still doesn't make sense that the Police would tow the car instead of a private towing company taking it directly to the dealership.
I also want to see proof but to be fair it has happened to me more than once to try to contact the dealer for days (for my Macan issues) and they were not responding to my calls. I guess if they have haven't figure out things yet they sometimes disappear.
Also if the car is stalled in the middle of the highway then it cannot be towed by a private towing company because it is unsafe for them. The police has to either move the car to the side or they have to divert traffic around the blocked lane so that the private towing company can tow the car.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Day1taycan

First Name
Timmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I'm really trying to give you the benefit of the doubt here, but this is starting to sound like trolling. The worst Porsche dealership in the country will answer your call during business hours and would speak to you if you purchased a $100k+ car on Friday, then had it break down on Saturday. Also, still doesn't make sense that the Police would tow the car instead of a private towing company taking it directly to the dealership. You just dropped $100k+ on a car and have no idea where it is?

I'm starting to think pictures or it didn't happen. Maybe some other proof. We have been provided the absolute minimum of details that could have been created by reading anyone of the misc articles recently published about this. I understand the desire for privacy, but you've got to at least provide some details. We don't even know what state lemon laws could be applied or what Dealership could be treating you like crap. Let alone any details of your car other than a Taycan 4S.

To the original post, if you are interested in keeping the car (doesn't sound like it) I suggest following this thread:

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/i-lost-all-power-in-the-outside-lane.2950/

If you are simply trying to get your money back, then you'll need to work with Porsche NA and also research your states lemon laws, and possibly hire an attorney. Every state is different, and I don't know the lemon laws in the metaverse.

I apologize if you are truly going through this, but you need to understand the skepticism.

Not sure what kind of proof you want. Road side was absolutely terrible requiring multiple calls and multiple tow companies getting involved but that’s another story. Dealership is now being helpful.

Porsche Taycan Day after purchasing Taycan 4S Electrical system error and bricked car in the middle of the highway. 84E01E08-541F-42A4-9855-66704108F415

Porsche Taycan Day after purchasing Taycan 4S Electrical system error and bricked car in the middle of the highway. F4044AB2-428F-40F1-96D2-6938F93C18DF

Porsche Taycan Day after purchasing Taycan 4S Electrical system error and bricked car in the middle of the highway. 8EB861EC-10BF-4660-B90D-7ACD170C3C73

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Not sure what kind of proof you want. Road side was absolutely terrible requiring multiple calls and multiple tow companies getting involved but that’s another story. Dealership is now being helpful.
I appreciate the pictures and apologize for my skepticism.

As crazy as it sounds this really helps provide some assurance. If you weren't aware the internet is full of trolls and misinformation. I previously owned a Tesla and spent time on the Tesla Motors Club forum and people would post bogus information all the time trying to discredit Tesla (usually short sellers). So when news stories start hitting the Automotive sites about issues with the Taycan, and we start getting new members posted similar claims without a lot of evidence, it brings skepticism.

I'm sorry you are dealing with these issues. Hopefully Porsche and your dealership will do what's right. Just know the Taycan really is an amazing car, but unfortunately any new model, especially with a ton of new technology, is going to having teething problems. Also know that Porsche is one of the best automakers and I'm confident they will come through with real fix and are taking this seriously. However if you don't want to deal with the issues and/or aren't completely in love with the car, I would continue the buy back route. But if the Taycan is your dream car I would tell you to give them a chance to make things right. They Taycan is really in a league of its own.

Good luck and let us know if we can help.

D’Roc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan RWD
Country flag
So it looks like the code was thrown where 278 crosses Astoria Blvd and that the car was towed by Rite Way Towing and Recovery ~6 miles to Manhattan Motorcars Porsche across from the American Retro Diner on 11th Ave.

I am less skeptical now.

Fedex77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M3 E92, Range Rover Sport HST
Country flag
In NYC, several of the highways don’t have a shoulder to pull over. I remember I had a wheel blowout on the BQE and tow trucks are not authorized to get you, the police have to be involved (policy). The cop actually was super lame and asked me if I was stuck because I didn’t want to drive off the highway on my rims and ruin them. Honestly, if i still lived there, no way would I be brave enough to own/drive a Taycan! Props to you!

Scott Allen

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 911 Carrera S Cabriolet, 2017 Range Rover HSE, 1967 Camaro RS/SS 396
Country flag
I have a 2020 Turbo, delivered in June of last year. Just had the update done and no issues.

Is there an actual count of the number of these bricked vehicles? Sometimes reading the forums it can seem like everyone is having a problem when in fact it is a very small number.
I thought Porsche delivered 5000 Taycan in 2020 and has delivered quite a few more this year, so I think the 6000 number is low.

The only issue I've had was the wing misalignment and that was corrected when the update was complete.

I'm also surprised that you dealer isn't more attentive. My dealer is great! And they are very aware that anything less than a 10 on any service survey is a problem. Porsche only wants above and beyond.

BokkeBo

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, 2022 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Good morning - my first post so apologies that it’s not a positive one.

Had the same issue yesterday. Fortunately in L lane of 10 West bound in LA. Managed to coast to the side and stop in service lane. Would’ve been a challenge in the center lanes. NHTSA complaint logged. Don’t care if there’s a legal issue - this is a problem that needs to be addressed. Photo shows similar warning - was in a bit of a state so focus not great.
Porsche Taycan Day after purchasing Taycan 4S Electrical system error and bricked car in the middle of the highway. CE7022F4-3A64-4012-BDD4-5CAED395A3B8

Bit of a different story, mine is 2020 4S that has been in the shop for 44 days since Nov 23rd with electrical and PCM issues. Duds happen - did not stop me ordering 21 Turbo S in the hope that the bugs are sorted. The latest issue has me changing my perspective - it was not a good experience, neither was the 50 minute hold time waiting for their breakdown response to get back to me after going through their text service.

11/5500 reported to the NHTSA is a small number. Hope there are not more with worse outcomes.

Porsche Taycan Day after purchasing Taycan 4S Electrical system error and bricked car in the middle of the highway. 99BA0727-B25B-4694-A5C3-EBFB6B135EE1

Last edited:

RCorsa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TTS, F8, Urus S , Raptor R, X5, Tesla M3P
Country flag
Yes sorry for doubting you. Trolls are a real problem to all forums, especially car forums where they love to get people worked up.

Really sorry this happened to you. My 2021 has been nearly flawless. Aside from the occasional pcm bug. I’ve had the recent update right when it came out( 1-2 months ago I think) and no problems except having to repair my iPhone for CarPlay to work. Good luck and keep us posted.

cgfrndpor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
E-Tron; 2021 4S; ex_BMW540
Country flag
Good morning - my first post so apologies that it’s not a positive one.

Had the same issue yesterday. Fortunately in L lane of 10 West bound in LA. Managed to coast to the side and stop in service lane. Would’ve been a challenge in the center lanes. NHTSA complaint logged. Don’t care if there’s a legal issue - this is a problem that needs to be addressed. Photo shows similar warning - was in a bit of a state so focus not great.
CE7022F4-3A64-4012-BDD4-5CAED395A3B8.jpeg

Bit of a different story, mine is 2020 4S that has been in the shop for 44 days since Nov 23rd with electrical and PCM issues. Duds happen - did not stop me ordering 21 Turbo S in the hope that the bugs are sorted. The latest issue has me changing my perspective - it was not a good experience, neither was the 50 minute hold time waiting for their breakdown response to get back to me after going through their text service.

11/5500 reported to the NHTSA is a small number. Hope there are not more with worse outcomes.

99BA0727-B25B-4694-A5C3-EBFB6B135EE1.jpeg
So I had the exact problem with my 2021 4S; didn't photo message but was surprised to see the word "engine". After pulling of the highway and shutting the car off, tried in a few seconds and it was all ready to go. Yours wouldn't restart or did you not want to risk driving it? I was 100 mi from home and got there with no further trouble. Did call dealer and filed NHTSA report. They have been very helpful but waiting on next steps; car still at home.

BokkeBo

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, 2022 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
So I had the exact problem with my 2021 4S; didn't photo message but was surprised to see the word "engine". After pulling of the highway and shutting the car off, tried in a few seconds and it was all ready to go. Yours wouldn't restart or did you not want to risk driving it? I was 100 mi from home and got there with no further trouble. Did call dealer and filed NHTSA report. They have been very helpful but waiting on next steps; car still at home.
I waited for a few minutes and it did restart and I drove it 15 interesting miles home without issue. I won’t be driving that car again - legit lemon .

looking forward to next Taycan. Has to be better.
Sponsored