Peter Kelly

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 2S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
So 2nd time in 3 months with dead 12v battery. AA coming out again.
Battery flat again so will be watching eagle eyed how to fix it.
Car fully charged overnight at 100%. Car was in Porsche yesterday to finally fix 2 faulty powered charging ports and to replace Connect hardware in car - “Porsche’s words not mine”.

So since delivery in September:
-12 v battery flat
- passenger side charging port not opening - buy extended car charging lead so can stretch to driver port
- it’s slipped down my mothers drive and crashed
- same day for both incidents
- port charging port fault - does not close
- problem with CarPlay tethered
- when phoning in car people not able to hear me
- after being in to OPC on 4/5 occasions - lost count - Connect replaced and car ports fixed
- next day 12 v issue

Really?
Sponsored

Iben

First Name
Jean-Are
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S (2020 mod.)
Country flag
I sorry to hear about all your troubles.
I got my car on 23.of December 2020 (new in January). It supposed to have / gotten all the upgrades.
I use general profile (min 45%) and timer (85% after 22:00) each night and haven't had any problems.
I only use the app when the car is off charging, just to be sure (based on all I have read on this forum).

I changed from BMW M5 Comp. to Taycan Turbo S and I'm not regretting this trade.

I hope things sort out for you.

OP
OP
Peter Kelly

Peter Kelly

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 2S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
I sorry to hear about all your troubles.
I got my car on 23.of December 2020 (new in January). It supposed to have / gotten all the upgrades.
I use general profile (min 45%) and timer (85% after 22:00) each night and haven't had any problems.
I only use the app when the car is off charging, just to be sure (based on all I have read on this forum).

I changed from BMW M5 Comp. to Taycan Turbo S and I'm not regretting this trade.

I hope things sort out for you.
Iben

Think you might be right. Don’t change settings on Connect App while charging. I think that has caused my issue.

rparsons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volco XC90 Inscription Pro, 4S Build Slot reserved
Country flag
I’ve thankfully not yet had a ‘dead’ issue since taking ownership (although am replacement door card and now the spoiler alignment looks to need sorting). However, paranoid of the risk of the Connect app, I make an absolute point of always closing the app totally on my iPhone by swiping up from the bottom left of the screen and then swiping up (glad I have kids that taught me this a while back). I don’t know about Android phones, but I have always wondered whether if the app is still left running in the background whether the Comms continue with the car and thus it keeps getting ‘woken up’? Don’t know if anyone has experience of this not being the cause, but i thought I’d share in case. Peter, really sorry to hear your experience - it’s my first Porsche ever and I have to say I’m profoundly disappointed with the after-sales service. I’ve worked with other manufacturers in the past in a former career and I’d pragmatically accept the trade-off between price and service. With Porsche however, I don’t and I am now fearful I might regret being an early-ish adopter of their tech.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Porsche are more interested in shifting metal these days than they are in building quality vehicles.

I've been a long term Porsche owner (original Cayenne onwards) and have observed with dismay the decline in quality and the dilution of brand with too many models now on offer.

The Taycan has been rushed to market to grab a headline and I think we can all speak with authority about the quality issues we have (or will no doubt experience).

In time the Taycan will be a quality product (just as the Cayenne became) but as early adopters Porsche should not be so arrogant and use its client base as test mules.

Time Porsche was run by Engineers and not Accountants.

Meantime be thankful for the gold plated warranty and I hope that I get my car back today after a failed charging port and door (3 months old).

Last edited:

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
Car fully charged overnight at 100%.
fwiw: it is not good for the health of the battery pack to let the car sit charged at 100%, try charging to 85% and only charge to 100% when that extra range is necessary.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
What a bummer to have a car that is so fun to drive be plagued by such issues...

There is a strong correlation between 12V battery death and changing profile or timer settings while the car is connected to EVSE. It's not likely the app - you can change timer/profile settings via the website and potentially cause the issue as well. I had thought Porsche made a change to prevent changing these while connected but maybe I am incorrect or maybe they reverted the change.

There is also a theory that having the key fob in proximity to the vehicle can constantly wake up some part of the 12V system and cause this.

Note neither of the above are confirmed causes - just speculation.

Personally, I don't think completely closing the app while not using it is necessary. The app never communicates directly with the car (unless you are using WiFi in the car), the app only communicates with a Porsche back-end server. Same with the car. With the app running or not, the OTA control module will periodically check in to see if there is a need for the PCM to wake up and communicate, this check in will also relay current state of charge, locks, windows, etc. If you are using the app to check the state of charge, all it's doing is retrieving the last check-in update from the Porsche back-end servers.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
no doubt app usage does not help the situation - but it's also not exclusive cause - Porsche has some "bad" software that can be triggered by a number of external factors - once triggered this software runs long enough to drain the 12V battery

there is no "one (1)" cause of this problem - and going cold turkey does not make you immune from the issue, but certainly reduces the risk of triggering the core issue via that external trigger…
  • app usage is a potential trigger
  • non Porche EVSE's are a potential trigger
  • leaving key in range of the vehicle is a potential trigger
  • PLC being enabled on the PMCC is a potential trigger (documented by Porsche)
  • attempting to charge at 6 amps is a trigger that will drain the 12V (documented by Porsche)
  • messing with profiles/timers is a potential trigger
  • walking away from the vehicle with out shutting it down is a potential trigger
the list above is either confirmed or reasonable speculation, but also incomplete, no one (including Porsche) can deterministically know all the possible ways in which this 12V drain can be triggered, and cutting out even known triggers does not make you immune to the 12V issue, it just lowers the chance you will cause a trigger condition - but it can still happen.

hopefully porsche is investigating and will find the "root cause" of this behavior - because playing whack-a-mole with all the different ways you can trigger this condition is going to be futile from a software reliability point of view…i.e. you'll fix some triggers but inevitably there will be more ways this problem will crop up.

until Porsche has a comprehensive "fix" we will continue to find/marvel at all the ways in which the 12V issue disappoints us as Porsche fans, customers and victims.

Last edited:

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
To add to the above, the risk / set of triggers does not seem to be constant from vehicle to vehicle...

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Which (IMHO) means we (as the users / owners) don't really know the cause(s). It is not clear that Porsche does either, or if they do they have not shared anything with users / owners.

Freakzilla9

First Name
Zain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche cayenne hybrid
Country flag
I have a question

if I have a 12v dead battery issue

which battery should I connect it to jump start? Is the Taycan 12v battery lithium ion? Agm ?

I know the jump start procedure just wondering whether only lithium ion jump starters to be used or can I use any 12v battery to jump start it like a dry battery lead acid battery

I have purchased a noco boost plus GB40 which will jump start a lead acid battery only ? Can I use that on the Taycan

Last edited:

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
I have a question

if I have a 12v dead battery issue

which battery should I connect it to jump start? Is the Taycan 12v battery lithium ion? Agm ?

I know the jump start procedure just wondering whether only lithium ion jump starters to be used or can I use any 12v battery to jump start it like a dry battery lead acid battery

I have purchased a noco boost plus GB40 which will jump start a lead acid battery only ? Can I use that on the Taycan
you can ask this all that you care to but the answer is that the gb40 appears to be incompatible with the lithium battery in the taycan
look at this product for your needs
https://shop.porscheusa.com/porsche...ies/porsche_charge_o_mat_pro_95804490071.html

Freakzilla9

First Name
Zain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche cayenne hybrid
Country flag