Dead Battery

Britguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S and Cayenne GTS
Country flag
I'm new to this forum and generally dislike these types of computer communications, old school I guess.. Anyway, felt it necessary to share my aweful experience with my Taycan Turbo S. I'll be brief. Took delivery of the car April 2020 from Norwalk, California. Fantastic drive, brilliant car....and then....constant issue with charging. Car has been back to the dealership 5 times. I am currently discussing whether of not this particular car is a "Lemon". If anyone knows the "definition" of the Lemon law in Ca, please get in touch. If anyone has had similar issues with their Battery, please get in touch.
Thanks for reading.
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
California lemon law is 3 times for the same reason or 30 days out of service in the first 18 months - it’s pretty clear cut.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
https://www.dca.ca.gov/acp/pdf_files/englemn.pdf

https://www.dmv.com/ca/california/lemon-law

The California lemon law requires manufacturers to offer a refund or replacement of a vehicle that has significant mechanical failings that severely impact the overall use, safety and value. This is enforced when:

• The manufacturer has made two attempts, or more, to repair a warranty problem that could result in a serious injury or death.
  • The manufacturer has made at least four attempts to repair a warranty problem.
  • The vehicle has been out of service for 30 cumulative days, or more, due to repairs.
In order to qualify for the law’s protection, the vehicle’s defect cannot be the result of abuse or neglect, and the same problem must persist even after repairs are attempted. Vehicles that have a variety of repairs related to different problems may not qualify.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
as far as “similar” issues with the battery - your description of the problems is insufficient to provide any insight or common understanding as to what problems you are actually experiencing

OP
OP

Britguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
https://www.dca.ca.gov/acp/pdf_files/englemn.pdf

https://www.dmv.com/ca/california/lemon-law

The California lemon law requires manufacturers to offer a refund or replacement of a vehicle that has significant mechanical failings that severely impact the overall use, safety and value. This is enforced when:

• The manufacturer has made two attempts, or more, to repair a warranty problem that could result in a serious injury or death.
  • The manufacturer has made at least four attempts to repair a warranty problem.
  • The vehicle has been out of service for 30 cumulative days, or more, due to repairs.
In order to qualify for the law’s protection, the vehicle’s defect cannot be the result of abuse or neglect, and the same problem must persist even after repairs are attempted. Vehicles that have a variety of repairs related to different problems may not qualify.
Much appriciated.

OP
OP

Britguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
As for specifics. The problem started with the car plugged into a 240 volt. The Car never charged fully. It went back to the dealership. After a week of receiving it back, the car showed a green charged light on the charger, it also showed a full charge on the app, however the car would be dead in the morning. They replaced the battery in the front which powers all the interior controls. They also replaced the charger itself. Received it back 5 days ago and 2 days ago it happend again, this is the third time.

LonePalmBJ

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S Gentian Blue Metallic, Black/Chalk,
Country flag
As for specifics. The problem started with the car plugged into a 240 volt. The Car never charged fully. It went back to the dealership. After a week of receiving it back, the car showed a green charged light on the charger, it also showed a full charge on the app, however the car would be dead in the morning. They replaced the battery in the front which powers all the interior controls. They also replaced the charger itself. Received it back 5 days ago and 2 days ago it happend again, this is the third time.
The car has two battery systems - the high-voltage battery charged by the 240 volt EVSE/charger and also a 12V battery which itself is charged by a converter from the high-voltage battery. I cannot tell from your email what you mean by 'dead' in the morning, but I have a suspicion. If by 'dead' you mean that you start up the car but the range shown on the display is less than you expect, or it didn't increase since you plugged it in, then you might have an issue with your external EVSE charger, or with the car's onboard charger, or with your High Voltage battery itself. I have not heard of anyone experiencing these sorts of problems however.

If instead by 'dead' you mean the car is not responsive at all, nothing lights up on the dash, the car doesn't respond to the key fob, etc. then your issue is that your 12V battery is dead, or has dropped below some minimal voltage and a car safety relay trips and renders your car a brick. This, unfortunately, is a somewhat common issue. It is a big problem for some and Porsche has done a number of things to address it, including two or three different campaigns. There are several threads about it here on these forums but I would point you to these two to see if your problem is similar, and if the solutions help you and your dealer:

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...n-the-saga-of-the-12v-battery.1274/post-15127

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/cheat-sheet-how-do-i-recover-my-taycan-if-it-dies-because-of-the-12-volt-problem….2529/post-34471

Good luck.

Last edited:

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I had a bad AC converter on my car - make sure they check this.
Sponsored