4SJB

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4SCT Mini Cooper S Audi A4 3.0 TDI
Country flag
There seem to be a lot of Taycans being delivered at the moment so hopefully it’s a good time to ask:

Does your dealer have a rapid DC Charger?

Not all dealers are conveniently situated for road trips, but a few would be a great addition to the IONITY network for long trips.

To start, although I take delivery on 10th Dec and haven’t actually seen them yet, I believe that Porsche Reading have a number of fast chargers and the dealership is 2 minutes off the M4.
Sponsored

TAYC4S

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911C4S; Jag F-TypeR; Taycan4S; Turbo+992 (ordered)
Country flag
Reading have 2 DC fast chargers and several slower 7Kw chargers in the service bay areas.. I am not sure if you can just come up and plug in to the DC fast chargers though...I doubt it...

Bonglim

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
The Porsche website indicates that Porsche dealership chargers are just part of the network. As in you can charge up with them - I suspect using the app. Anyone done that yet?

"Combine your charging and Porsche experience.
Together with many Porsche Centres, we are creating an additional speed charging option for you, with the development of our Porsche Turbo Charger. Here, you can charge your Taycan with up to 270 kW using its 800-volt architecture to achieve a range of up to 100 km (WLTP) in 5 minutes under optimum conditions¹. So the car is always ready for whatever its driver has planned throughout the day: driving.
¹Optimum conditions: CCS speed charging pedestal with >270 kW, >850 V, battery temperature 30°C to 35°C and initial state of charge 5%."

JamieG

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover Velar SE
Country flag
Bolton in Greater Manchester are in the process of having theirs installed now. Apparently it's only going to be operational during their hours of work due to it being on site and needing to lock the compound

OP
OP
4SJB

4SJB

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think all dealership chargers will be on site so will only be available during opening hours.

Gotti

First Name
Gotti
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
I was told Stockport will be getting some this month.

TAYC4S

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So, I cheekily drove my car to the Porsche dealer in Reading who have high-speed chargers and tried plugging in (during office hours). Unfortunately it doesn't work. It also will not accept either the Ionity card (hardly surprising) nor a credit/debit contactless card.

When I then enquired at reception I was told those chargers only can be activated by some dedicated cards Porsche service managers have. So there it is...no free or paid for access... :-(

OP
OP
4SJB

4SJB

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So, I cheekily drove my car to the Porsche dealer in Reading who have high-speed chargers and tried plugging in (during office hours). Unfortunately it doesn't work. It also will not accept either the Ionity card (hardly surprising) nor a credit/debit contactless card.

When I then enquired at reception I was told those chargers only can be activated by some dedicated cards Porsche service managers have. So there it is...no free or paid for access... :-(
Surely you can just call ahead and arrange a charge?

TAYC4S

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Surely you can just call ahead and arrange a charge?
Probably - but not exactly seamless if you have to "ask for permission" to borrow their charging card. It should be a case of drive up, car and Porsche charger recognises/authenticates and away you go, or worse case, you have to use your Ionity or contactless credit card but the latter option means anyone could show up.

OP
OP
4SJB

4SJB

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I’m taking delivery tomorrow so will ask then.
I was about to say ‘if you can’t do it at the UK headquarters, where can you do it?’, but thought better of trying to apply such logic to Porsche customer service!!
Hopefully my trust in the brand will be bolstered once I take delivery!

TAYC4S

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I’m taking delivery tomorrow so will ask then.
I was about to say ‘if you can’t do it at the UK headquarters, where can you do it?’, but thought better of trying to apply such logic to Porsche customer service!!
Hopefully my trust in the brand will be bolstered once I take delivery!
I don't want to take it as given but if you follow this link https://www.porsche.com/uk/aboutporsche/e-performance/charging-on-the-road/ it kind of shows an image of customer and Porsche representative enabling their high-speed chargers - well that's how I see the image anyway. Seems to imply you do have to ask for permission - With all the cars they are selling I wonder how long that will last before they get fed-up and just enable it for owners differently :)

OP
OP
4SJB

4SJB

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I always assumed you would have to ask.

OP
OP
4SJB

4SJB

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Apparently once the software is sorted out, you will be able to access the dealer fast chargers by using your Porsche Charging card.
Expected early 2021, so should be available by Q3?
This would certainly be useful, but not certain how a dealer will feel if they want to charge a customer car and find you taking up a charger.
The chargers are £250000 each, so assume a slow roll out especially at lower volume dealers.
Sponsored