Dealer forcing me to receive my CT4 order with add-ons - Resist All and Apex coating. Dealer move to tack on revenue.

chenner

First Name
B.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I’m due to pick up my car from the same dealer next month. If they try this stunt on me I’ll happily remind them that that’s not part of our original deal. Despite current market conditions I expect them to honor the discount we agreed upon and to sell me the car with no additional add-ons unless I explicitly agree to them.
Sponsored

Skilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
This is starting to become a thing. Id look at what you agreed to in your original offer. If it wasn't noted, thank them for the free service. If it was and you overlooked it, well it's sneaky of them but you will be on the hook. Dealer and doc fees are creeping up too. They should be a couple hundred, but I had a recent seller (without blushing) try to push a $1,200 doc/dealer fee into my purchase price.

Im seeing it show up in different ways - mostly existing inventory, and not new deliveries. The other thing they are doing is if you are an out of state buyer and requiring shipping, they are forcing you to use their service and then inflating that by about 40%.

its short term thinking on their part, but the business is infected with this mindset.

FWIW - they should have noted all of the dealer add ons as a supplement offer, just like they do when they mark up a car that is in high demand. You should have been given an offer with the total price clearly laid out. Something like this:

Porsche Taycan Dealer forcing me to receive my CT4 order with add-ons - Resist All and Apex coating. Dealer move to tack on revenue. Screen Shot 2021-11-02 at 8.46.26 AM

Last edited:

Dslev

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I suggest you tell them
1- you ordered the car and were not told about the add-ons
2- they were obligated to tell you at that time
3- you proceeded without them speaking up and they were obligated to do so
4- you detrimentally relied and proceeded to purchase the car
5- your detrimental reliance is you would have purchased a car else where and have now wasted x months
6- if you have to go elsewhere now given the demand it will cost you $x more to purchase a similar Taycan
7- they are now legally estopped from raising the add ons now

Good luck
I agree with everyone's comments, push back, after you take delivery, file a complaint with PCNA, and the Georgia Department of Consumer Affairs, and if, like in CA, there is a small claims court, sue them for "misrepresentation".

OP
OP
Prit

Prit

First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4, Aspiring GTS ST owner.
Country flag
No, I’m not saying it was a bait and switch. They made it a mandatory part of taking my order. In other words, “if you want this allocation, you have to take these add-ons”. This is no less unethical or taking advantage of the situation.

Bella

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4 CT, Prius
Country flag
No, I’m not saying it was a bait and switch. They made it a mandatory part of taking my order. In other words, “if you want this allocation, you have to take these add-ons”. This is no less unethical or taking advantage of the situation.
This is not exactly the same. You are saying when you ordered they told you upfront you needed to take the extras. There is nothing wrong with that. You could have selected to not order from them. If you go into a Dealer and they tell you upfront here is the cost it’s your decision to order the car. I thought you were saying after ordering they added on to the cost. Maybe I’m misunderstanding what you are saying.

RallyG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT
Country flag
If they told you this up front, you are on less solid footing in pushing back. Smarmy yes but unlikely that you can get them to take it off. The most you can likely do is raise a stink and threaten to complain and raise a stink on social media.

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Unfortunately it is quite different. You had the opportunity to order elsewhere or refuse at the time and see if they'd still give you the allocation.

I agree that it sucks and I wouldn't use that dealership but they are allowed to do that.

So no, you don't have any recourse in that situation.. you were told in advance and agreed to the conditions.

Last edited:

OP
OP
Prit

Prit

First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
In my opinion, it is still taking advantage of the situation, no less different than a dealer markup.
Unfortunately it is quite different. You had the opportunity to order elsewhere or refuse at the time and see if they'd still give you the allocation.

I agree that it sucks and I wouldn't use that dealership but they are allowed to do that.

So no, you don't have any recourse in that situation.. you were told in advance and agreed to the conditions.
I hear your point and understand that perspective. In my opinion, it is still taking advantage of the situation. It doesn’t make it less so because it was disclosed and I somehow had a choice. The idea here is we the dealer have something you the consumer want that’s in low supply, therefore, we will make you pay for things you don’t want or desire in order for us to allow you to pay for the actual thing you want. We, the dealer, wouldn’t otherwise do this if the market wasn’t the way it is. Yes you can go somewhere else but you would likely need to search high and low, and wait months for an allocation.

Earlier in this thread, someone sent a link to the GA Consumer Protection article for vehicle transactions. It described this situation specifically, and reminded consumers be wary of dealers that exhibit this behavior. Here is an excerpt:

• Don’t buy what you don’t want or need. Additional options (such as paint sealants, additional undercoating, fabric treatments, anti-theft parts etching, and alarm and navigation systems) and additional services (such as extended warranties or service contracts, routine maintenance packages, credit life or credit disability insurance) do have value but, like any other item, they should be comparison-shopped and carefully considered. Be especially wary if the dealership tells you all their cars must have paint sealant or etching applied, or that a service contract can only be obtained at the time of purchase.

dsak48

First Name
Constantinos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW LEXUS
Country flag
This is not common practice or ethical.Get it in written , build a nice case how much money you have lost by not recieving your car on a daily basis etc.
If we are talking about an authorized Porsche dealer send the email to the dealer principal and also find out who is their zone manager from the NSC.
Last but not least you need to get in written that whatever action is performed on your vehicle that is not a Porsche product needs to receive in written that the factory guarantee is not altered.Not from the coating or the dash cam or the leather company but from Porsche...and no automotive company does that for 3 party products.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
In my opinion, it is still taking advantage of the situation, no less different than a dealer markup.

I hear your point and understand that perspective. In my opinion, it is still taking advantage of the situation. It doesn’t make it less so because it was disclosed and I somehow had a choice. The idea here is we the dealer have something you the consumer want that’s in low supply, therefore, we will make you pay for things you don’t want or desire in order for us to allow you to pay for the actual thing you want. We, the dealer, wouldn’t otherwise do this if the market wasn’t the way it is. Yes you can go somewhere else but you would likely need to search high and low, and wait months for an allocation.

Earlier in this thread, someone sent a link to the GA Consumer Protection article for vehicle transactions. It described this situation specifically, and reminded consumers be wary of dealers that exhibit this behavior. Here is an excerpt:

• Don’t buy what you don’t want or need. Additional options (such as paint sealants, additional undercoating, fabric treatments, anti-theft parts etching, and alarm and navigation systems) and additional services (such as extended warranties or service contracts, routine maintenance packages, credit life or credit disability insurance) do have value but, like any other item, they should be comparison-shopped and carefully considered. Be especially wary if the dealership tells you all their cars must have paint sealant or etching applied, or that a service contract can only be obtained at the time of purchase.
But you bought it by signing that contract? In my opinion you have no leg to stand on. The dealer made you an offer to sign for an allocation, you accepted that with the conditions. No difference to that if the dealer had made the offer and the price had been lifted by 20 k.
You accept!
Or leave!
You might have asked for a discount equalling the extra at time of signature, but now you are hooked.

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I'm certainly not defending their behavior and I wouldn't purchase from them. You can certainly attempt to have them remove those add ons now.

But in terms of getting your deposit back or somehow forcing them to not include addons you ordered.. I don't think you have any options. You signed an order sheet understanding you would be buying those addons. PCNA will not help you nor will any legal options that I'm aware of.

Your best option is probably a diplomatic approach to get them to remove the addons or discount them.

amelen

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.alexmelen.com
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
sounds like extortion

complain to Porsche NA
I agree with this. While it's super unethical, I've seen other dealers do that in recent months as well since they aren't scared of you walking away from the car (since they'll probably sell it for higher than what they sold to you). I would push back hard and get Porche NA involved if needed.

Oh, and if you want to see them to back off this really quick, while I don't typically suggest this - leave them a online review mentioning your dissatisfaction and outlying exactly what happened.

Edit: Reading some other comments - if you already agreed/signed for these add-ons, it's a slightly different conversation.

OP
OP
Prit

Prit

First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm certainly not defending their behavior and I wouldn't purchase from them. You can certainly attempt to have them remove those add ons now.

But in terms of getting your deposit back or somehow forcing them to not include addons you ordered.. I don't think you have any options. You signed an order sheet understanding you would be buying those addons. PCNA will not help you nor will any legal options that I'm aware of.

Your best option is probably a diplomatic approach to get them to remove the addons or discount them.
I never asked for anyone to help me or to take legal action - Others made those comments. My question was whether or not this is common or happening elsewhere. That’s all.

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Oh, gotcha. Yes, it has unfortunately become common. I don't know if it's every dealership but many are charging above MSRP one way or another. It's not just Porsche, demand is higher than supply for many cars and dealerships are licking their chops.

I hate the practice and agree it's unethical but it's certainly allowed.
Sponsored