Dealer Incompetence - What Remedies Do I Have?

dardleflom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hi all--this Porsche buying experience has rapidly become something of a joke. Timeline:
May 2021: Order Taycan with refundable deposit.
Usual story, many delays. Actually not a problem.
December 2021: Delivered to dealer, apparently "ready for pickup." I couldn't pick up because I was out of town but got back in January so picked a date then.
In meanwhile arranged for parking, sold car, took care of all the things.
January 2022: Turns out headlight doesn't work, dealer needs to replace part. Couldn't have picked up car even if I wanted to. Dealer has ordered part three times in a row and apparently Porsche in Germany keeps sending the wrong part. In fact the latest delivery, which took three weeks because it went through Fedex and through Memphis which had comically bad delays (1) because of customs and (2) because of weather.
February 2022: We are now well into February, and dealer basically has to order the part a 4th time (of course this time hoping the right part is delivered... what if this happens again??)

I'm spending money on a spot I don't need, and I don't have a car. Not really sure what to do, what to ask for. Or how my dealer can compensate me for this. They've already given me some credit for Porsche goodies, but I'm afraid that doesn't cut it anymore.

Help guys! What should I ask for? How should I escalate?
Sponsored

Marcad80

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S
Country flag
Got to say, after reading some of the things I’ve read in this forums lately getting a little nervous about my purchase. For anyone in Florida, at what point have I lost my $5k deposit if I back out?

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Got to say, after reading some of the things I’ve read in this forums lately getting a little nervous about my purchase. For anyone in Florida, at what point have I lost my $5k deposit if I back out?
Remember that people are more likely to post about problems than they are about positive experiences. I'm sure your car will be fine.

I'm enjoying mine. 11.5K miles. Had to replace rear tires at 10.5K. Had a couple software recall updates that were uneventful. Otherwise my only beef is the buggy PCM.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I'm spending money on a spot I don't need, and I don't have a car. Not really sure what to do, what to ask for. Or how my dealer can compensate me for this. They've already given me some credit for Porsche goodies, but I'm afraid that doesn't cut it anymore.

Can they put you in something else as a loaner until they have your car prepped and working for delivery?

OP
OP

dardleflom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I'm not really here to complain. I'm here to understand, practically, what I can extract from this situation:
1) Ideally, how do I get this resolved ASAP.
2) Given the incompetence, what compensation could I hope to receive?
3) What is the best means for achieving either outcome?

soul.electrified

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 4S convertible, LX570, CT4 (pending)
Country flag
Same feeling here, but I am betting on the 'forum' bias and will stick with my allocation ... (in my case the deposit is refundable until the freeze date)..

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
It's hard to say. If they're really ordering the right part and Porsche is sending them the wrong one.. there's not much to be done except make sure they are more emphatic with Porsche Germany.

A headlight being faulty pre-delivery isn't anything too odd, just supply chain issues makes replacement parts a real pain.

I'm not sure what compensation you would be entitled to or could seek. As you haven't yet purchased the car, it's still in pre-sale inspection. I understand the frustration of your car being at the dealership with you unable to take it, and it certainly sounds like a mess with the communication & ordering, but I wouldn't say you're entitled to compensation.

It depends, though, what the communication was with "ready for pickup". If that's literally what they said, I'd ask to have your parking spot compensated for this time period and a nice loaner, and/or rental fees reimbursed.

Have you spoken with the GM at your dealership? That'd be #1 thing to do. Find out how they're going to fix it and express how disappointed you are, that it messed up timing, etc..

As for "Porsche sucks now!" these are problems all manufacturers and dealerships are going through right now. There's a lot of delays, a lot of shortages, and a lot of people trying to sell cars when they only have half the information. I don't think the Taycan or Porsche is really doing worse than anyone else.

285kph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 BMW X5 - 2021 Taycan - 2022 BMW X5 45e
Country flag
When my dealer was unable to deliver my Macan for ~3 weeks because of some paperwork problem, they gave me a Panamera hybrid loaner for those three weeks. I found that acceptable.

nickmdp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Your synopsis is pure delusion, to place it mildly. I placed my car into service on 1/31/2022 to solve a connectivity problem. When the car went through intake, I explained that the problem was either a bad SIM Card or a bad OTA module (aka external comm module). These people have masturbated with PAG for days, no resolution in sight. Pure unadulterated BS, Porsche is not what it used to be. For example, nothing can be replaced without the factory approving. These folks can't find their ass with both hands. Windup, after two weeks, hours of intervention some Porsche representative suggested "ticket for a new SIM card" We will see where this goes. My plan is to Lemon the car ASAP, not because the car sucks, but because PAG sucks.
Not the Company it once was, disappointed beyond belief.
Sounds like you've got an axe to grind here, all over your car being in the shop for 9 days? Knowing nothing about the issue at hand, it seems like an odd thing to jump immediately to get the car lemoned, but maybe that's something for another thread to talk more about whatever is going on there.

OP
OP

dardleflom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
When my dealer was unable to deliver my Macan for ~3 weeks because of some paperwork problem, they gave me a Panamera hybrid loaner for those three weeks. I found that acceptable.
Thanks. This sounds like an acceptable compromise and I'd be down for that.

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hi all--this Porsche buying experience has rapidly become something of a joke. Timeline:
May 2021: Order Taycan with refundable deposit.
Usual story, many delays. Actually not a problem.
December 2021: Delivered to dealer, apparently "ready for pickup." I couldn't pick up because I was out of town but got back in January so picked a date then.
In meanwhile arranged for parking, sold car, took care of all the things.
January 2022: Turns out headlight doesn't work, dealer needs to replace part. Couldn't have picked up car even if I wanted to. Dealer has ordered part three times in a row and apparently Porsche in Germany keeps sending the wrong part. In fact the latest delivery, which took three weeks because it went through Fedex and through Memphis which had comically bad delays (1) because of customs and (2) because of weather.
February 2022: We are now well into February, and dealer basically has to order the part a 4th time (of course this time hoping the right part is delivered... what if this happens again??)

I had a similar situation at my dealer. I asked for a loaner Porsche while they worked things out and they graciously complied. I drove a Macan for a few weeks.

Now, I’m beginning my sixth month in the Taycan and I can honestly say it’s the best car I’ve ever had. Sure, there are quirks with the PCM, but the car has been bulletproof otherwise and is a frickin’ blast to drive!

Last edited:

Jayyvr890

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Have you paid for the car? Titled to you now?
If yes, then you certainly would be entitled to a loaner. Demand a Taycan or Panamera or Cayenne.

If not then sadly very little recourse. This is simply a delivery delay and when we signed the contract, it explicitly stated that delivery date is an estimate and subject to change (at least in Canada where I bought my car).

You could always contact Porsche customer service directly and see if they can expedite the parts from Germany.

You might be thinking about cancelling the order and getting a refund on the deposit. I would caution against that as it'll be very tough to get another allocation again. The dealer will almost certainly turn around and sell your car with a huge markup given the current shortage.

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
You could also let them know you're expecting the 1st year's service to be complimentary....
Sponsored