Dealer relationship and future servicing

Riche77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan
Country flag
hey guys,

so, I have a weird situation that I wanna get everyone’s opinion on. Basically, I placed a build order with my local Porsche dealer. That didn’t pan out and they tried to get me in a used 4s, but I didn’t want that. I took it upon myself to cold call a few dealerships within a days drive, and found one that had the car that I ultimately bought.

I will be getting the car serviced where I live, of course, and I’m a little worried that if the salesman sees that I backed out of a build and bought a car from a different Porsche dealer, he will be pissed and more or less unwilling to help me with any issues that might arise in the future. Do you guys think I’m over reacting? I was thinking about sending him a text explaining that I happened to luck in to one and sorry I didn’t get him a commission. Just want to handle it the best way so I can still count on getting great service at my local dealer!
Sponsored

fgwinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 FBM CT4 (sold), MY23 EQS 450 4Matic SUV
Country flag
You are probably over thinking this . But if you want to avoid the salesman you can schedule your car for early service appointments. The sales guys are rarely at the dealership in the early morning.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
dealerships are usually set up as multiple businesses, sales and service are two separate parts. there should be no problem. however the service department might favor customers who bought their cars there when it comes to setting appointments and for loaners.

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
hey guys,

so, I have a weird situation that I wanna get everyone’s opinion on. Basically, I placed a build order with my local Porsche dealer. That didn’t pan out and they tried to get me in a used 4s, but I didn’t want that. I took it upon myself to cold call a few dealerships within a days drive, and found one that had the car that I ultimately bought.

I will be getting the car serviced where I live, of course, and I’m a little worried that if the salesman sees that I backed out of a build and bought a car from a different Porsche dealer, he will be pissed and more or less unwilling to help me with any issues that might arise in the future. Do you guys think I’m over reacting? I was thinking about sending him a text explaining that I happened to luck in to one and sorry I didn’t get him a commission. Just want to handle it the best way so I can still count on getting great service at my local dealer!
The service department yields a much greater profit margin than sales, even for warranty work. Personally, I’d be more concerned with the competence of the service department. In any case, your most convenient dealer will welcome you with open arms!

OP
OP
Riche77

Riche77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan
Country flag
Why would a salesman be involved in the servicing of your car?

I’ve had multiple cars serviced locally that I purchased elsewhere. Nobody cares. And the dealer can’t refuse to service your car regardless.
I guess my concern is eventually I’m going to need to get a new Porsche. Given that availability can sometimes be a little scarce (eg right now), I feel like it would’ve been better to have this guy in my corner so he could let me know if new inventory, events, etc. I know service is a totally different thing and that’s not really what I’m talking about here. I know I’m overthinking it, though 😂

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
The service department is pretty much its own entity from the front side of the house.

I've bought Porsches at other dealers than I've had them serviced at, never been an issue.

They are happy for the business regardless of which side of the house it originates from.

gnop1950

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag
The service department yields a much greater profit margin than sales, even for warranty work. Personally, I’d be more concerned with the competence of the service department. In any case, your most convenient dealer will welcome you with open arms!
This is true for ICE cars, it will be interesting to see how it plays out with EVs since the service intervals, and actual service, is much less frequent and should be simpler (given they have trained service techs).

Of course if there are lots of recalls I suppose that will help the service department;)

Reactions: B61

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
I guess my concern is eventually I’m going to need to get a new Porsche. Given that availability can sometimes be a little scarce (eg right now), I feel like it would’ve been better to have this guy in my corner so he could let me know if new inventory, events, etc. I know service is a totally different thing and that’s not really what I’m talking about here. I know I’m overthinking it, though 😂
While the dealership may not go out of its way on a car they didn’t sell, your intuition to close the loop with the salesperson is good idea. Outside of the human decency element, it is good to reset the relationship if you are likely to go to him for your next car. It is not likely to be awkward as professionals understand that things don’t always work out and it may allow you to feel more comfortable reaching out to him next time.

Good luck.

BMonte13

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan
Country flag
I agree with everyone stating that sales and service are separate entities. Moreover, I’ve always treated it this way. I’ve never serviced a car at the same dealership that I bought it from. It’s relatively easy to complete a one time purchase further from home (I drove 3 hours to buy my Taycan at a dealer that offered the lowest “markup”), but I service my car at the closest reputable location.

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4, 991.2 GT3
Country flag
Salesman has nothing to do with service. Buy the car where you want and take it to service for warranty or maintenance they will welcome you. The bulk of the money a dealer makes is via the service department. I've had cars that I bought out state because my local dealer could not get me an allocation. Service still did maintenance and warranty work, even with a loaner.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Yes...think about something else whenever that thought pops into your head.

Next time it crosses your mind, I want you instead to visualise your 5 favourite foods/drinks/songs/ex girlfriends
😁

gusone

First Name
gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW Series 3 XDRIVE M SPORT
Country flag
hey guys,

Because he would send you an email to you apologising for giving your build to another client who offered more money. Sales people spend most of their day facing rejection. It comes with the territory. If you are still not sure just arrange a service for 8am. My dealer is open at 7:30am for service drop offs. You will be going there a few times. Updates, errors, recall etc long before a service.

TaycanHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS Sport Turismo (2023)
Country flag
Amusing. Epic overthinking.

You owe your dealer nothing. It's a sales transaction, not a gf who's wildly in love with you, and you then "cheated" on her.

This person pretends to like you, but it's all for show. They're in sales. There's a psychology to it. You are a number to them first, a human being second.

I guarantee your local dealer won't care less as he would have easily sold your allocation. It's not like he ended up homeless.

He'll also be only too keen to pretend to be your best friend again in the hope you buy your next Porsche from him. He does after all now know you're serious and not some dreamer wasting his time.

You're a bonafide dollar sign.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
Try living in a country that has just one Porsche Centre (and we're grateful for that!) – this class of problems just doesn't exist!
Sponsored

Reactions: B61