Dealer says no wireless CarPlay for 2021 Taycan?

Jon Steinmetz

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
Wireless CarPlay was working in my new 2021 Taycan picked up yesterday but now is not working. This morning I did have an issue where somehow my phone got switched to iPod mode in the PCM and it took me a while to figure out how to switch it back. Since then I have not been able to get CarPlay to work wirelessly. ?
Thinking more about this I also installed a ton of updates this morning that had been there since I picked up the car so that could also be a contributing factor.
Sponsored

Oink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+, M3P
Country flag
I prefer the iPod mode. Dynamic ambient lighting color doesn't work with CarPlay sadly.

Oink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+, M3P
Country flag
If you have the ambient lighting pack then you also have an option for dynamic colors from music artwork instead of one of the pre-defined ones. You can find it it under the center left (or right if you're in weird country), comfort tab and then ambient light.

Jon Steinmetz

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
Wireless CarPlay was working in my new 2021 Taycan picked up yesterday but now is not working. This morning I did have an issue where somehow my phone got switched to iPod mode in the PCM and it took me a while to figure out how to switch it back. Since then I have not been able to get CarPlay to work wirelessly. ?
Thinking more about this I also installed a ton of updates this morning that had been there since I picked up the car so that could also be a contributing factor.
I managed to restore wireless CarPlay by removing my phone from the PCM and removing the car from my phone and then plugging my phone in again and following all the prompts.
Removing the phone from the car and the car from the phone were both required. Just doing one of the steps did not work.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
the dealer 'expert' just told me that the '21's do NOT have wireless carplay - said Porsche could not get it to work properly

told me to plug in iphone, that does work..

is that your understanding ???
the "tech" who walked me through the car said the same thing, when I went back to the dealership the salesman pushed the car play button and viola carplay worked, no wire needed

kwrudy123

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I picked up my 2021 Taycan Turbo Wednesday. Apple CarPlay worked just fine wirelessly.

OP
OP

babaloo

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan 4S, '21 Taycan, '19 Cayenne. '20 580S
Country flag

Alemany

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
McLaren 600LT, Nissan GTR, Tesla P100D, MiniCooper Cooper limited edition, Taycan Turbo S (ordered), Giulia Quadrafoglio
Country flag
Mine needed a wired connection the first time (and the instructions said so too). Once we did that at the deliver, we disconnected and have been wireless ever since.

AhsanU

First Name
Ahsan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 GT3
Country flag
I must be one of the few that doesn't like wireless CarPlay. I don't have a Taycan yet, but on my wife's Audi A6 - it's a PITA. Sometimes it connects immediately, sometimes I need to sit there for a solid 8-10 minutes while it connects. At some point, I decided to just connect my phone physically because it was taking so long.

smohr33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S -> Taycan CT4
Country flag
I must be one of the few that doesn't like wireless CarPlay. I don't have a Taycan yet, but on my wife's Audi A6 - it's a PITA. Sometimes it connects immediately, sometimes I need to sit there for a solid 8-10 minutes while it connects. At some point, I decided to just connect my phone physically because it was taking so long.
I guess it depends on the manufacturer. In my wife's X5 it connects instantly and works perfectly, same for Macan and Cayenne loaners I've had.

It's one of the things that has me considering passing on 2020's, its very convenient on shorter trips.

benver

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2020 Porsche Taycan Turbo
Country flag
When moving from CarPlay back to the PCM (i.e. touching the Posche icon) does what ever is running in CarPlay continue to run? So for example i'm in CarPlay, fire up Waze and its calling out turns, Police, accidents, etc. If I flip back to the PCM and turn on the radio, does Waze continue running and talk over the radio, or did the flip from CarPlay to PCM suspend Waze?
Better late then never ;)
I can switch away from Apple Carplay which is running Flitsmeister and still get audio notification about traffic. So the answer to your question is: Yes :D

dckyoto

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Just a personal opinion, but the aesthetics of Car Play are quite terrible (big chunky icons, like the screen has been set up for people with bad eye sight), so if you can't get it working, don't sweat it, the PCM's graphics and layout actually look a lot more pleasing to the eye.
Sponsored