tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
My guess is that the thinking behind the colour icons is to help build up a muscle memory – where you don't have to read the icon's title – while driving to select the various primary apps.

Over time, you'll just associate the function with the colours and be able to choose them in your peripheral vision.
Sponsored

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
This UI tweak looks to be good. On the older PCM the info boxes had rounded corners that would sometimes clip the info strings being displayed.

The squares look like they prevent that and will show the required info with more clarity. I do hope there are a lot of little improvements like that across the updated PCM.

Porsche Taycan Dealer video shows new PCM Screenshot 2022-04-18 at 08.04.56

f10tt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan, 2022 Cayenne, 2021 Bronco
Country flag
Is it really just a few colored icons and then mostly monochrome like the video? I find the inconsistency distracting. Maybe it’s better in person.
No, it's just that. My new Cayenne has it. Aside from Spotify being a native app and it being a 12" screen in the Cayenne there's no difference.

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I’m hoping that all of our Taycans will be able to upgrade the PCM to this new version. Speaking for myself, the current PCM is the weak link in the Taycan, chock full of bugs and inconsistent behaviors. My Taycan, a 2021 4S, is currently at a Porsche dealer in a likely quixotic attempt to address the myriad of PCM issues that plague the car. Is the current PCM a deal breaker? Absolutely not! But it is a source of frustration that I’m hoping Porsche will address for all its customers.

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Previously: 914, 944 and 997 911S. Now Taycan
Country flag
I’m hoping that all of our Taycans will be able to upgrade the PCM to this new version. Speaking for myself, the current PCM is the weak link in the Taycan, chock full of bugs and inconsistent behaviors. My Taycan, a 2021 4S, is currently at a Porsche dealer in a likely quixotic attempt to address the myriad of PCM issues that plague the car. Is the current PCM a deal breaker? Absolutely not! But it is a source of frustration that I’m hoping Porsche will address for all its customers.
I was thinking the same but can somebody comment on the process to receive an upgrade? Does it require a dealer visit or will I be prompted to download it? My dealer is very backed up and just canceled my service visit (related to the alarm problem) for another 3 weeks.

mrbel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S CT, 987 RS60 Spyder, MX-5
Country flag
We picked up our new 4S Cross Turismo at Zuffenhausen last week. The person from Porsche that exlained us the car told us, that he saw the new PCM for the first time in our car. Nevertheless he had another delivery the same day with still the previous version...

Marcad80

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S
Country flag
We picked up our new 4S Cross Turismo at Zuffenhausen last week. The person from Porsche that exlained us the car told us, that he saw the new PCM for the first time in our car. Nevertheless he had another delivery the same day with still the previous version...
what date was your build start and completion?

ardevd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS
Country flag
I get the idea behind the colored icons but did they have to be so brightly colored? Surely a more minimalistic design would look way better? I’m mostly excited for the upgrades infotainment hardware as performance in the last gen units were a bit lacking.

mrbel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S CT, 987 RS60 Spyder, MX-5
Country flag
what date was your build start and completion?
I don’t know exactly, because we don’t have in Germany the TYD. Completion date was 2022-04-07, postponed 3 weeks because of the production stop.

Oink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+, M3P
Country flag
I get the idea behind the colored icons but did they have to be so brightly colored? Surely a more minimalistic design would look way better? I’m mostly excited for the upgrades infotainment hardware as performance in the last gen units were a bit lacking.
Doubt the performance increases. It's still the old Audi unit (MIB3 or something?), if I remember correctly.

20 and 21 won't get them according to the later posts in that huge thread about the update. Guess we're stuck with old stuff after only 1 year ('21 MY here). 🙃

OP
OP
marvinp

marvinp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1998/2008 BMW M3s
Country flag
Wow, why do you have to knock the 2008 Android Phone? It looked so much better!
My T-Mobile G1 was such a solid phone, built like a tank. I still have it.

(Actually that was technically my 2nd G1, the first one had boot loop issues out of the box and was returned within the first week. That doesn't really count)

Deleted member 6348

I don’t have the colored icons in my 2022, but the PCM is much snappier than the 2021 that I drove last year. I have zero complaints.

Still it’s weird that all 2022s don’t have the same PCM and function on demand remains unavailable. I’d rather have FoD than colored icons.

icedup51

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S MY22 and Abarth 595 Trofero:
Country flag
the first car with the new PCM colored icons I’ve heard of was one that completed production on 02MR. The last week in Feb seems to be the cutover date. I have a car sitting in JAX right now that was completed on 03MR and will be able to verify this. Unless others that have received cars can step in…
Mine Build finish was 10th March and have new PCM but cant connect car to App.