evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
I have one of the Tow Hook plate mounts for my M4 in case I need it (never needed it).

I keep the front plate and factory mounting bracket in the trunk of my i8 (also never needed it)

The front platetow hook bracket is pretty clunky. I might suggest just keeping the plate mounted on the factory front bracket. Then put a couple of strips of 3M "VHB" double sided tape on the back side of the bracket so it is ready to stick on the front of the car if "duty calls". Then you can take it off when you get back home. I think this is basically the same type of tape that BMW uses to stick Euro Delivery plates to the front of their cars so US recipients can drive in Europe without having to physically mount a european front bracket.

The 3M VHB tape is great stuff. It will stick to pretty much everything but can also be completely removed by carefully prying/rubbing it off. It does not leave residue like double sided foam tape. Its more of a rubber type texture. I use it to stick Radar detectors to my windshields, etc. You can leave the stuff in place forever, or you can carefully pull it off when needed.

I wasn't aware of the custom made adhesive vinyl plates. That's kind of an interesting solution!

However, with the difficulty some people are reporting with their EZPASS / IPASS mounted on the windshield, I have also pre-ordered a front license plate mount transponder. I know the docs say you can mount the transponders in two specific places on the windshield. but I might have to mount a front plate anyway if that doesn't work... :-(
Sponsored

OP
OP
Fitzban

Fitzban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I ordered today. Thanks for the link!
Update: added side view picture.

I reached out to the company and they sent me this picture of their tow hook license plate on a Taycan. I asked for a side view picture as a follow up. If they reply, I'll update.

Porsche Taycan Dealing with the front license plate aocojlommdkgcbil

Porsche Taycan Dealing with the front license plate mafanjdpihjggbhf

Last edited:

UroDoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
812 Superfast; AMG GT 53; Taycan 4S; DB11
Country flag
I have one of the Tow Hook plate mounts for my M4 in case I need it (never needed it).

I keep the front plate and factory mounting bracket in the trunk of my i8 (also never needed it)

The front platetow hook bracket is pretty clunky. I might suggest just keeping the plate mounted on the factory front bracket. Then put a couple of strips of 3M "VHB" double sided tape on the back side of the bracket so it is ready to stick on the front of the car if "duty calls". Then you can take it off when you get back home. I think this is basically the same type of tape that BMW uses to stick Euro Delivery plates to the front of their cars so US recipients can drive in Europe without having to physically mount a european front bracket.

The 3M VHB tape is great stuff. It will stick to pretty much everything but can also be completely removed by carefully prying/rubbing it off. It does not leave residue like double sided foam tape. Its more of a rubber type texture. I use it to stick Radar detectors to my windshields, etc. You can leave the stuff in place forever, or you can carefully pull it off when needed.

I wasn't aware of the custom made adhesive vinyl plates. That's kind of an interesting solution!

However, with the difficulty some people are reporting with their EZPASS / IPASS mounted on the windshield, I have also pre-ordered a front license plate mount transponder. I know the docs say you can mount the transponders in two specific places on the windshield. but I might have to mount a front plate anyway if that doesn't work... :-(
Looks like this is supposed to create a permanent attachment?

Die-cut VHB tape offers a custom bonding solution which reduces time, process steps and overall costs in the assembly process. VHB tape is specifically designed to replace screws, bolts, mechanical fasteners, rivets, welding and liquid adhesives. Use VHB tape anywhere you need to create a permanent bond between two substrates.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Die-cut VHB tape offers a custom bonding solution which reduces time, process steps and overall costs in the assembly process. VHB tape is specifically designed to replace screws, bolts, mechanical fasteners, rivets, welding and liquid adhesives. Use VHB tape anywhere you need to create a permanent bond between two substrates.
It should be noted that VHB tape can be easily removed (if desired) without damaging the surface... You just kinda "roll it off" with a thumb or finger after carefully separating the surfaces...

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Update: added side view picture.

I reached out to the company and they sent me this picture of their tow hook license plate on a Taycan. I asked for a side view picture as a follow up. If they reply, I'll update.
In all honesty, if I was going to use a tow hook plate adapter all the time, I would just attach the plate to the car in the normal location (with VHB tape). The tow hook plate adapter simply ruins the lines of the car... Ok for "on demand" but not for "all the time"...

$0.02

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag

VHB tape has been holding my reprinted plate on to the front spoiler for 13,000 miles. Temperatures from -10 to 95°F. Rain, snow and ice. Speeds... to uh, very fast.

OP
OP
Fitzban

Fitzban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
In all honesty, if I was going to use a tow hook plate adapter all the time, I would just attach the plate to the car in the normal location (with VHB tape). The tow hook plate adapter simply ruins the lines of the car... Ok for "on demand" but not for "all the time"...

$0.02
I'm more concerned about the US license plate blocking front parking sensors and stuff versus the aesthetics of the front plate. So, if the normal location is fine, then I'm happy to go with the less costly option.

flickroll

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
The problem with VHB tape is it is very sticky which is good. However if you have a clear bra on the front bumper I would think trying to remove a plate bracket that is stuck on with VHB tape would pull the clear bra loose from the bumper. If I was going the VHB tape route I would use a minimal amount in an attempt to avoid that problem.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
CA DMV plates arrived today - I'm supposed to get the Rennline tow hook mount on Thursday - I'll report what I find…

Johnc33458

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan
Country flag
Am still waiting for a standard euro plate which fits well on the Turbo. Then we will ‘trim’ the US plate to fit. Backordered so far.

OP
OP
Fitzban

Fitzban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
CA DMV plates arrived today - I'm supposed to get the Rennline tow hook mount on Thursday - I'll report what I find…
Hi Dave,

Did you get a chance to install the tow hook mount?
Love to get your feedback on the look.
Thanks

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
has not arrived yet.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The problem with VHB tape is it is very sticky which is good. However if you have a clear bra on the front bumper I would think trying to remove a plate bracket that is stuck on with VHB tape would pull the clear bra loose from the bumper. If I was going the VHB tape route I would use a minimal amount in an attempt to avoid that problem.
Yes, I think that would be correct. Its great stuff, and you can remove it from glass and even paint, but pulling from PPF could very well loosen the coating in the process...