Dear Porsche... (A suggestion to improve the scrolling challenge)

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
Dear Porsche,

Swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, (68 times to be exact)...

I understand you removed all the physical knobs and buttons from the Taycan's consoles for aesthetic reasons. However, when you did this, you left us with unnecessary user-interface issues. While I appreciate a car that looks good, I also want one that doesn't create unnecessary challenges to do so...

Personally, I don't care that I have to use some ridiculous interface simply to redirect my vents. But I DO care about access to my MUSIC. I have about 7000 files in 270 folders in 165 GB of Hi-Res FLAC files on my USB drive.

Since the user-interface displays only 4 folders per screen, that requires me to swipe 68 times to reach the end of my 270 folders of music when BROWSING for something interesting! ...and that assumes I do all those 68 swipes accurately and perfectly and don't activate a "select" by mistake. I realize I can SEARCH, but mostly I like to BROWSE as I think that opens up so many more choices that I would not have asked for specifically in the first place.

Anyway, I think you can easily resolve this with a simple software update! We may not have a wheel but there are other things which could be done to enhance the controls you have already given us. ...and it doesn't even require you reject the clean aesthetics which are obviously so important to you.

I'm sure you know this but here is what our lower console normally looks like (when not charging):

Porsche Taycan Dear Porsche...  (A suggestion to improve the scrolling challenge) Current

...as we know that the lower screen can contain basically any image you desire (as demonstrated by the charging screen), with any region being used as a touch input or button, you could easily add some PgDn or PgUp buttons to assist in scrolling:

Porsche Taycan Dear Porsche...  (A suggestion to improve the scrolling challenge) PgUpDn

...or you could make these PgUp / PgDun ARROWS to match the "style" of the Back Button between them:

Porsche Taycan Dear Porsche...  (A suggestion to improve the scrolling challenge) Arrows

...or if you REALLY wanted to make a nice control, you could add a vertical scroll control on the right side of the console so we could control not only the direction, but also the speed, of scrolling. The center of the vertical slider would be fully stopped and the further you went in either direction (up or down), the faster the screen would scroll:

Porsche Taycan Dear Porsche...  (A suggestion to improve the scrolling challenge) Slider

What do you say Porsche? How 'bout you improve your software so it actually works for me, instead of I for it?

PLEASE?

Ed

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Good ideas.
Are you planning to send those letters to Porsche or do you expect them to read the forums?

OP
OP
evanevery

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Good ideas.
Are you planning to send those letters to Porsche or do you expect them to read the forums?
Oh, I have an open ticket with them for this and many, many, other things!

It seems they are quite happy to pay for folks to answer the phone and take this information, and maybe even occasionally call us back to say "don't worry! We are working on this!" ...but when you question they about WHICH specific problem they are "working on", they don't ever seem to actually know...

So easier to pay for a dept of folks to take phone calls and say "Don't Worry" then actually pay someone to get something done...

But DON'T WORRY! They are WORKING ON IT!

Sure...

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Your expectations are too high. To the best of my knowledge neither Porsche nor any traditional manufacturer has ever changed the User Interface of already sold cars. Only Tesla is doing that but the company, their software, their webservice and their car was designed to do so from the beginning.

At this point, I would be very happy if they could just fix the bugs that affect car usability like the 12v battery drain, cameras/door handles/charge doors/volume control/WBA/PCM not working intermittently.

OP
OP
evanevery

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Your expectations are too high. To the best of my knowledge neither Porsche nor any traditional manufacturer has ever changed the User Interface of already sold cars. Only Tesla is doing that but the company, their software, their webservice and their car was designed to do so from the beginning.

At this point, I would be very happy if they could just fix the bugs that affect car usability like the 12v battery drain, cameras/door handles/charge doors/volume control/WBA/PCM not working intermittently.
The only thing which is proving "my expectations to be too high" is Porsche itself.

They promised "OTA" updates for the car. (Its just that they haven't yet realized that an owner shouldn't have to take the car to the dealer to get an "OTA" update...)

Xsquid

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan S Diesel, Taycan 4s+, 996 C2 Coupe
Country flag
Dear Porsche,

Swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, (68 times to be exact)...

I understand you removed all the physical knobs and buttons from the Taycan's consoles for aesthetic reasons. However, when you did this, you left us with unnecessary user-interface issues. While I appreciate a car that looks good, I also want one that doesn't create unnecessary challenges to do so...

Personally, I don't care that I have to use some ridiculous interface simply to redirect my vents. But I DO care about access to my MUSIC. I have about 7000 files in 270 folders in 165 GB of Hi-Res FLAC files on my USB drive.

Since the user-interface displays only 4 folders per screen, that requires me to swipe 68 times to reach the end of my 270 folders of music when BROWSING for something interesting! ...and that assumes I do all those 68 swipes accurately and perfectly and don't activate a "select" by mistake. I realize I can SEARCH, but mostly I like to BROWSE as I think that opens up so many more choices that I would not have asked for specifically in the first place.

Anyway, I think you can easily resolve this with a simple software update! We may not have a wheel but there are other things which could be done to enhance the controls you have already given us. ...and it doesn't even require you reject the clean aesthetics which are obviously so important to you.

I'm sure you know this but here is what our lower console normally looks like (when not charging):

Current.jpg

...as we know that the lower screen can contain basically any image you desire (as demonstrated by the charging screen), with any region being used as a touch input or button, you could easily add some PgDn or PgUp buttons to assist in scrolling:

PgUpDn.jpg

...or you could make these PgUp / PgDun ARROWS to match the "style" of the Back Button between them:

Arrows.jpg

...or if you REALLY wanted to make a nice control, you could add a vertical scroll control on the right side of the console so we could control not only the direction, but also the speed, of scrolling. The center of the vertical slider would be fully stopped and the further you went in either direction (up or down), the faster the screen would scroll:

Slider.jpg

What do you say Porsche? How 'bout you improve your software so it actually works for me, instead of I for it?

PLEASE?

Ed
I have a similar number of music folders and films as well on my ssd. What I have noticed is that you have the option to search via ”artists”. On the right hand side of the screen I can sometimes get it to fast scroll like the old style iPods ie A,B,C Etc . It can be a bit fiddly but when it does work it is quick to scroll towards the end of the alphabet.

OP
OP
evanevery

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have a similar number of music folders and films as well on my ssd. What I have noticed is that you have the option to search via ”artists”. On the right hand side of the screen I can sometimes get it to fast scroll like the old style iPods ie A,B,C Etc . It can be a bit fiddly but when it does work it is quick to scroll towards the end of the alphabet.
Thanks, I'll see if I can find that...

I do note that the upper console behaves differently when trying to scroll (swipe, swipe, swipe). The Upper Console seems to implement "inertia" where the lower console does not... However, its pretty imprecise in any case...

RickDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag

They have to keep up with the competition, Ravian, Ford and taking notes from Tesla and Porsche should too. I don’t think your request is to high, Taycan is bringing other customers from other brands that won’t stay if they don’t keep up with technology trends. The last survey about what people care about cars the most is infotainment and user experience.

RickDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
They have to keep up with the competition, Ravian, Ford, Lucid, Chinese cars are taking notes from Tesla and Porsche should too. I don’t think your request is to high, Taycan is bringing other customers from other brands that won’t stay if they don’t keep up with technology trends. The last survey about what people care about cars the most is infotainment and user experience.

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
[s] 2021 Taycan AWD [\s] 2022 Rivian R1T
Country flag
Porsche will probably claim that putting a UI where your eyes may spend a long time “down low” like that is a safety issue.

Or, they’ll do it but disable it while the car is moving.

Your choice.:rolleyes:

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
How about "Hey Porsche" to fix the scrolling and attention issues.

Artman

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
Dear Porsche,

Current.jpg

PgUpDn.jpg

Arrows.jpg

Slider.jpg

PLEASE?

Ed
SOMEBODY has some graphic design skills. Nicely done.

TYKHAAAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Ram 2500, Hyundai Pallisade
Sucky solution, and OP may have long found it, is to rearrange the folder structure on the USB drive. Have no more than 4 folders in each directory and sort them however works for you. I know, not ideal, but it’s a work around For now.
Sponsored