Dear Porsche... (Center Console Lid does not stay open)

OP
OP
evanevery

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
You are absolutely right - total crap design, and I can't figure out what the thinking was. It should be pretty simple to take off the hinge cover and replace the coil spring with one that allows it to fully open. Completely nuts that Porsche missed this.:mad::mad:
Who the Fock designs any "box with a hinged lid" without thinking about how far the lid should open?

I don't think there is any coil spring. Pretty sure its just a hinge... A coil spring might actually help something...

I thought about adding a long torsion spring external to the hinge if I have to. (Not saying that link is the one I would actually use - just an example). However it would have to be screwed to the console and also to the lid. It would be a shame to actually have to do this cause some knucklehead at Porsche couldn't have gotten this right in the first place. How much would it have cost me to get a car where this kind of stupid crap would have been done right in the first place?

I still want to get a look at that hinge first...
Sponsored

CJE

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 Turbo S, Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Ford GT (part owner)
Country flag
You're right. Its a crap design. Two hands, an elbow and a lamp strapped round my head.

There's a lot of this car design by someone who hasn't been in it I think - including the vent operation, which is actually dangerous to do whilst driving.
This is sadly the only bad idea that exists in a Taycan. And it's very bad. You could seriously strain something trying to plug in a USB, and if you are right handed and driving a US car you're screwed. There is no way to conveniently reach into that compartment and get something. You need one hand to keep the top up and that alone is a terrible idea.

Sad they could not make this work.

OP
OP
evanevery

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
...Sad they could not make this work.
Apparently an insurmountable engineering challenge for Porsche designers...

"Designed by Porsche", Really?

Jancha

First Name
Janis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 Cabrio (ex Taycan 4s+)
Country flag
Its a wonder they didn't add some BS electrical button on the panel to open/close the console cover. They did this needlessly for the vents for cripes sake...why not the console cover? Where does Porsche draw the line between "Needless functionality" and "No functionality at all"?

Open fully vertical and stay open. Its that simple. There is no reason for anything more complicated or imaginative...

"Designed by Porsche" has a whole new meaning to me now that I actually own one...
yeah, coming from Panamera, I found this unbelievably impossibly stupid. now I found that the way how it "works" is that you have to keep it open with the right hand and operate the contents with the left hand. very frustrating.

OP
OP
evanevery

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
yeah, coming from Panamera, I found this unbelievably impossibly stupid. now I found that the way how it "works" is that you have to keep it open with the right hand and operate the contents with the left hand. very frustrating.
You do this while driving? Gulp...

If you're "talented", you can keep it propped up with your right elbow while you blindly dig with your right hand... (This is for left hand drive vehicles. If you can do this while driving from the "wrong side" of the car I would be REALLY impressed! ;))

I never realized these were the type of skills I would need while driving a Porsche!

Oink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+, M3P
Country flag
Nah, if you're "talented", you can keep it propped up with your right elbow while you blindly dig with your right hand... (This is for left hand drive vehicles. If you can do this while driving from the "wrong side" of the car I would be REALLY impressed! ;))

I never realized these were the type of skills I would need while driving a Porsche!
It's arguably worse than shortcuts on a Mac. Finger gymnastics there, arm gymnastics here.

Scared i'll one day do it wrong and get another cervicogenic headache. My last one lasted two weeks and I couldn't move my neck. Yikes.

OP
OP
evanevery

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It's arguably worse than shortcuts on a Mac. Finger gymnastics there, arm gymnastics here.

Scared i'll one day do it wrong and get another cervicogenic headache. My last one lasted two weeks and I couldn't move my neck. Yikes.
Maybe Porsche Innodrive should be a standard option so we can get some handsfree time to operate the center console?

Pretty fookin stupid design I think... Not as easy to "update" as all the software issues, but they really could just offer up a retrofit hinge...

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Maybe Porsche Innodrive should be a standard option so we can get some handsfree time to operate the center console?

Pretty fookin stupid design I think...
I'm going to figure out a solution and offer it online to all Taycan users for... $2,500?? Sounds about right for Porsche.:CWL:

struther

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan GTR, Nissan 350z
Country flag
Seeing as you can buy a new console lid from Suncoast (https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/sku9j1cclo.html ), I would imagine that they could offer a new one with a better mechanism. My GTR operates in much the same way - I wouldn’t dare try to get something from there while driving. Happy I have InnoDrive on my Taycan order.

HerrCooles

First Name
Herr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s ice grey
Country flag
"Done right for all people is an art that nobody can do."

I don't see that as a problem. With my Panamera, ea opens completely - ok. But it's not that easy again. BUT what is in the subject what I need every mile? I put the mobile phone in the charger (if I have to) but otherwise? I rarely open the subject. Sunglasses - if need be. But not 10 times each way?!? What is perfect? What bothers me more is that the door hinges are not like my Panamera. They lock in every position. THAT'S COOL

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
BTW - Anyone know how to remove the console lid or hinge? I'ld really like to look at it in detail to see if there is anything which might be 3D Printed to help make it work better for us.

I don't see any screws and its not obvious how/where I should start prying to remove the assembly. I expect this stuff simply snaps together but I don't want tobreak anything while blindly trying to separate it...

(If you are a SC - with access to official shop manuals containing this information - feel free to PM me so you will not be labeled a co-conspirator...)
Leave the original, just add a second one to keep it open and soft close with gentle push?

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Apparently an insurmountable engineering challenge for Porsche designers...

"Designed by Porsche", Really?
It does look beautiful! I would say too much design, too little function.

OP
OP
evanevery

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
"Done right for all people is an art that nobody can do."

I don't see that as a problem. With my Panamera, ea opens completely - ok. But it's not that easy again. BUT what is in the subject what I need every mile? I put the mobile phone in the charger (if I have to) but otherwise? I rarely open the subject. Sunglasses - if need be. But not 10 times each way?!? What is perfect? What bothers me more is that the door hinges are not like my Panamera. They lock in every position. THAT'S COOL
But done REASONABLY for MOST people should be...

This has nothing to do with "ART". The appearance of the console lid would not need to change a bit.

You don't need to make excuses for Porsche. It makes absolutely no difference how many times you open the console. There is absolutely no reason it should be so THOUGHTLESSLY designed!
Sponsored