Dear Porsche... (Center Console Lid does not stay open)

HerrCooles

First Name
Herr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s ice grey
Country flag
I agree with you that it could be done better. Maybe Porsche has a reason why it was done that way. I don't think they "missed" it. I just wonder how such a topic is torn apart.
Sponsored

OP
OP
evanevery

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
I agree with you that it could be done better. Maybe Porsche has a reason why it was done that way. I don't think they "missed" it. I just wonder how such a topic is torn apart.
I'm not sure what you mean by "I just wonder how such a topic is torn apart."

I don't think there is anyone who thinks this is a good design. There is no battle going on here tearing "us" apart...

The specific topic of this thread is that the "Console Lid won't stay Open". ...so we are also not being "torn" off-topic...

I'm not so self-centered to think that everyone should speak English perfectly (or even at all), but is this just a translation thing? ...or am I missing something?

Last edited:

RG2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Golf R Estate, Golf VR6, Corrado VR6
Country flag
It is naff, I do actually manage to access it one-handed whilst in the driver's seat. I don't class myself as particularly agile, and it's not an excuse for the poor design either. It's still a poor design and it seems incomprehensible why it wasn't designed to stay open when one wants it to stay open, surely that's what the masses want.

When I first got the car I thought it must be a faulty part!

OP
OP
evanevery

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It is naff, I do actually manage to access it one-handed whilst in the driver's seat. I don't class myself as particularly agile, and it's not an excuse for the poor design either. It's still a poor design and it seems incomprehensible why it wasn't designed to stay open when one wants it to stay open, surely that's what the masses want.

When I first got the car I thought it must be a faulty part!
10 points to anyone who can plug anything into one of the USB ports without having to get fully out of the car.

50 points if you don't have to use a flashlight...

100 points to anyone who can do this while driving...

150 points if it doesn't end up in an accident.

:)

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
poor design of the center console explains this

used to think it was an accident - now I know it was cause by the driver attempting to plug in their phone :)

OP
OP
evanevery

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
poor design of the center console explains this

used to think it was an accident - now I know it was cause by the driver attempting to plug in their phone :)
So... Only 100 points then?

K777

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
What bothers me more is that the door hinges are not like my Panamera. They lock in every position. THAT'S COOL
Previous 3 cars have ben Panamera's and I miss the magnetic doors too.

Talisker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 Turbo S, 20 Taycan Turbo, 23 Taycan Turbo S ST
Country flag
This is sadly the only bad idea that exists in a Taycan. And it's very bad.
Seriously? The only bad idea in a Taycan?? we must be driving different cars, or you are way more tolerant than I. There is so much wrong with the Taycan design, it's only saving grace is that it's nice to drive.

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
Seriously? The only bad idea in a Taycan?? we must be driving different cars, or you are way more tolerant than I. There is so much wrong with the Taycan design, it's only saving grace is that it's nice to drive.
Not a bad feature for a car....

Henke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I'm not sure what you mean by "I just wonder how such a topic is torn apart."

I don't think there is anyone who thinks this is a good design. There is no battle going on here tearing "us" apart...

The specific topic of this thread is that the "Console Lid won't stay Open". ...so we are also not being "torn" off-topic...

I'm not so self-centered to think that everyone should speak English perfectly (or even at all), but is this just a translation thing? ...or am I missing something?
I got my Taycan a few weeks ago and honestly, this is probably the worst thing about the car. It is such an absolutely awful design, I don't know how they could have possibly not picked up on this when testing the car. Kind of disappointed, read through the thread and hoped you would have found a solution :crying:

TayTaySD

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mamba Green Taycan 4S
Country flag
Dear Porsche,

Why is it that the cover on my center console does not stay open? Why is it that it does not open to a fully vertical position? Why do I need 2 hands and 1 Elbow to access its contents? Why do I need to get out of the car and use a flashlight to actually be able to see the USB ports so I can plug something in?

I took a look at the hinge this morning hoping there might be something I could design/add to improve the situation. Unfortunately, I don't see a simple way to do this. There also appears to be absolutely no reason you have limited the travel of the lid or not given it the ability to stay open. I thought maybe you had a slider which might not have had the necessary room to rotate. Nope, its just a hinge. Who designed this? Who tested this? Did you ask any users their opinion?

Quite literally, its the only mechanical issue I can think of which really bothers me. Did you have one of your software engineers design this?

A simple redesign of the hinge appears all that would be required. Can you make one available for retrofit to our cars?

PLEASE,

Ed
Even more sad, they didn't fix this in 3 model years, my 2022 has the same lousy design as my
2020 had. Please don't blame a SW engineer, I'm sure I would have done a better mechanical
design. My guess is this was designed by comittee is such a poor design... I also have
stopped using the wireless charging. Combined with the poor center console I find that
using both hands and elbow to try to put my phone in the charging position more than half
the time I drop my phone between the seat and console. This requires parking the car
to dig around to get it out. I think they should make a clever design that incorporates
the wireless charger into the drink holders. Or at least add a slot to the drink holders to
better hold a phone.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
10 points to anyone who can plug anything into one of the USB ports without having to get fully out of the car.

50 points if you don't have to use a flashlight...

100 points to anyone who can do this while driving...

:)
I'm at 310. Can plug USB while seated in the driver seat with no accidents.

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
Its a wonder they didn't add some BS electrical button on the panel to open/close the console cover.
Not to be snarky but you would have had to pay $595 for this button.

I keep a chop stick in my car to keep the lid open. This is a cheaper solution. :)

Fitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Cayman 981 GT4
Country flag
I dont really see the problem, its too small and too far behind you to store anything in anyway, anyone that uses the wireless charger on a regular basis deserves a medal for flexibility. Being that most of us are past our physical prime, I consider the inaccessibility a safety feature.

gdavison

First Name
Graeme
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne E-Hybrid, Boxster GTS
Country flag
Any one ever considered its perhaps working as designed ? .. as in to discourage a driver (while they are concentrating on driving) to interact with the storage .. and that its by being a 2 handed operation it is gently encouraging us to consider only plug in/connect to usbs etc while parked and safe, get stuff out of or put in bin, while parked and safe etc

Or a simple two handed operation from a Passenger who is not driving and can thus give it more attention than a driver can .. just a thought

?? :stop:
Sponsored