Decals on my modded license plate area

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
Some may be familiar with my obsession in removing that OEM 'monkey butt' rear plate holder and super happy with the modded (plastic welding) and satin black painted grey plastic but the spaces where a typical Euro plate would fill were bugging me too :)

Main mods thread:
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...rismo-4s-from-order-to-delivery-to-mods.8208/

These decals possibly a bit OTT but in 'person' they are super subtle being black on satin black - the iPhone camera tends to emphasize them more than the human eye - at some angles they are almost invisible.

Bought the decals from 'Insane Garage' but TBH not a huge fan of 'logo overload'! They are subtle enough though I will leave on for now and see if they grow on me!

https://www.insanegarage.com/product/pair-2x-of-fender-porsche-crest-vinyl-decals/

Porsche Taycan Decals on my modded license plate area IMG_0680
Sponsored

Last edited:

Tsingtao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toucan RWD
Country flag
Some may be familiar with my obsession in removing that OEM 'monkey butt' rear plate holder and super happy with the modded (plastic welding) and satin black painted grey plastic but the spaces where a typical Euro plate would fill were bugging me too :)

Main mods thread:
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...rismo-4s-from-order-to-delivery-to-mods.8208/

These decals possibly a bit OTT but in 'person' they are super subtle being mat black on satin black - the iPhone camera tends to emphasize them more than the human eye - at some angles they are almost invisible.

Bought the decals from 'Insane Garage' but TBH not a huge fan of 'logo overload'! They are subtle enough though I will leave on for now and see if they grow on me!

IMG_0680.jpeg
That is very well done! I too am obsessed with the "baboon's ass" rear valance on my car. When I was waiting on delivery, I complied a checklist of simple stuff to do once I got my hands on the car, e.g. replacing the side markers, ceramic coating, window tinting, and, of course, ripping off the shitty looking plastic chunks on the rear valance. So disappointed that there were holes to fill underneath once the plastic chunks were removed. I'm currently pursuing another more extreme option and will post pics if successful. If not, I'm going with your solution which already looks 10X better than the US monkey butt.

SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Macan GTS, 23 Taycan Turbo, 20 Cayenne Turbo,
Country flag
Same here, will not stand that plastic blob for the license plate. Do not have the car yet but can you help with the following:

1. Assuming it just comes off by removing the screws.
2. Then can you mount the regular plate just as @ciaranob showing and still see the rear trim all the way across.
3. If 1 and 2 are possible, are you @Tsingtao saying there are some holes that need to filled/covered show up outside of the plate area where the decals are shown by @ciaranob

My intent is to remove it for sure, just have a standard plate bolted on without a frame, and make sure the bottom trim area (in my highlight) is not covered by the plate.

Porsche Taycan Decals on my modded license plate area 1679676362877

Tsingtao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toucan RWD
Country flag
I hate to be the one to ruin a perfectly good fantasy, but you will not like what you find once you remove the US license plate mounting garbage. Very large holes about the size of the plastic chunks that surround the plate. The pic below is the effect that I thought could be achieved by removing the US spec appendages and mounting the plate directly to the valance. But if you look closely at this pic, and probably others that you have seen online with US plates sans monkey-butt, they depict euro spec cars with US plates slapped on them. The key giveaway (which I completely missed) is the absence of the uber-ugly red reflectors on the US spec quarter panels in the picture below. (Note: the ugly red reflectors don't show up on the configurator, but they will for sure be on your car. Sorry, that's two fantasies that I have wrecked today.)
Porsche Taycan Decals on my modded license plate area 1679676661327

SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@ciaranob, any way you could post a direct link to those black decals from Insane Garage. Is it this one with color choice of Grey or Black. Looks great on yours. I understand that you had to use filler and paint over to make it a smooth surface all the way across before the plate goes on, but the good news is that it is possible to make it look like yours.

OP
OP
ciaranob

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@ciaranob, any way you could post a direct link to those black decals from Insane Garage. Is it this one with color choice of Grey or Black. Looks great on yours. I understand that you had to use filler and paint over to make it a smooth surface all the way across before the plate goes on, but the good news is that it is possible to make it look like yours.
OK - there are a few threads on this rear end removal but as pointed out above the large holes left behind after removing the 'Money Butt' are indeed significant. Further they 'wrap' up over a ridge line (particular to the CT's rear end) just to complicate obscuring further.

Here is a pic of holes from a sedan (same sized holes, slightly different valance):
Porsche Taycan Decals on my modded license plate area rear no plat

From this thread:
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/monkey-butt-rear-plate-holder-better-options.6218/

In regards the red reflectors - I removed all mine on the rear i.e. the ones in the rear valance but also the ones on the side of the rear hindquarters - I had the latter also filled in/patched via plastic welding and to my eye the end result looks so much cleaner - but essentially again back to Euro spec.

Below some pics from various threads including my interim solution (plastic post caps custom painted!) before I decided to go "all in' with painting all my dimpled plastic and the ultimate step of having all the holes filled in with the Plastic Welding technique that is exactly what it sounds like i.e. they patch in plastic pieces with heat/chemical welding, smooth it all in prep for paint and you end up with essentially the same rear end as a Euro spec car.

My rendering in 2021 of what I wanted the car to look like - I think I got this look down (I dropped the idea of clear rear reflectors):

Porsche Taycan Decals on my modded license plate area Screen Shot 2021-10-11 at 11.29.51 AM

from my main mods thread:

First workaround involved custom painting post caps that actually did not imo, look that bad :)!

Before:
Porsche Taycan Decals on my modded license plate area Monkey Butt

After:
more details here: https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/replacement-for-the-ugly-usa-oem-plate-holder.9811/
Porsche Taycan Decals on my modded license plate area IMG_5077

Final customization with Satin Black Paint and plastic welded holes:

More pics here:
iPhone 'bubble' or 'fish-eye' effect not helping here :)
Porsche Taycan Decals on my modded license plate area IMG_7481.JPG

Side reflectors completely deleted and that gorgeous satin black finish (I may be biased :))!:
Porsche Taycan Decals on my modded license plate area IMG_7478.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
ciaranob

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Apologies - missed the post! Yes this is exactly them and I ordered black as I wanted them to be 'ghosted' onto that plate mount area. These were the ones that were advertised to fit to a Panamera. You can do the wet mouthing but I actually just did a dry mount and it worked perfectly well and a lot simpler. Can provide a trick on mounting if you ever get to trying it out.

PS: also in respect you wanting the US plate to stay completely above the rear trim - unfortunately not possible unless you shorten (illegally :)) the actual plate - I have mine tucked up under the rear camera as far as it will possibly go and its a pretty decent solution whilst still fully visible (legal) i.e. it shows off that rear design so much better than with the Monkey Butt attached.

Last edited:

Tsingtao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toucan RWD
Country flag

Main mods thread:

These decals possibly a bit OTT but in 'person' they are super subtle being black on satin black - the iPhone camera tends to emphasize them more than the human eye - at some angles they are almost invisible.

https://www.insanegarage.com/product/pair-2x-of-fender-porsche-crest-vinyl-decals/

IMG_0680.jpeg
Here is a preliminary "plastic surgery" assessment for replacing the monkey-butt. I contacted Suncoast for shits and giggles to determine whether they could/would order a non-US spec lower bumper cover for me. They sell the US spec on their website so I did not think it would be out of the question to offer the euro version. They did a little digging and responded with the parts and diagrams below. $400 is a small price to pay to clean-up the ass end of the car, but removing of the entire bumper to do so (in order to remove part #4 in the diagram) is way above my level of mechanical expertise and I will now need to see what the dealers around me will charge to perform the operation. I strongly suspect that they will want to do something financially unpleasant to my ass end. I will report back after getting a couple quotes from Dr. Porsche's minions.
We ordered a few parts to test but unfortunately, it looks like to delete the bumperettes you will need to replace the lower bumper piece and a license plate bracket.

The price for #3 & #12 is $461.49 plus taxes and the shipping cost to your location.

Also, you will need to remove the rear bumper and remove #4 (2nd diagram) from your vehicle so the new part fits flush.

If you'd like to place an order, please let me know and, I'll add a link to the product on our website.

Porsche Taycan Decals on my modded license plate area ?name=image

Porsche Taycan Decals on my modded license plate area ?name=image

Let me know if you have any other questions, thanks again!
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Sincerely,
Suncoast Porsche Parts Team
www.SuncoastParts.com

SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@Tsingtao, this is superb investigation and analysis with public service to the forum community. I am very interested (if it is just external bumper replace using clips) and looking to see how it goes and what the process is for doing so. I know my dealer would not take this on, but I have excellent body shop that would do it, but I need to have enough info for them with all parts to execute.

OP
OP
ciaranob

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Here is a preliminary "plastic surgery" assessment for replacing the monkey-butt. I contacted Suncoast for shits and giggles to determine whether they could/would order a non-US spec lower bumper cover for me. They sell the US spec on their website so I did not think it would be out of the question to offer the euro version. They did a little digging and responded with the parts and diagrams below. $400 is a small price to pay to clean-up the ass end of the car, but removing of the entire bumper to do so (in order to remove part #4 in the diagram) is way above my level of mechanical expertise and I will now need to see what the dealers around me will charge to perform the operation. I strongly suspect that they will want to do something financially unpleasant to my ass end. I will report back after getting a couple quotes from Dr. Porsche's minions.
We ordered a few parts to test but unfortunately, it looks like to delete the bumperettes you will need to replace the lower bumper piece and a license plate bracket.

The price for #3 & #12 is $461.49 plus taxes and the shipping cost to your location.

Also, you will need to remove the rear bumper and remove #4 (2nd diagram) from your vehicle so the new part fits flush.

If you'd like to place an order, please let me know and, I'll add a link to the product on our website.

?name=image.png

?name=image.png

Let me know if you have any other questions, thanks again!
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Sincerely,
Suncoast Porsche Parts Team
www.SuncoastParts.com
As noted above, I'd avoid the dealership as suspect they would be outlandish re cost but def no harm in asking. My body shop when painting all my grey plastic (whole car) removed all of the above and replaced with zero issues and no dealership visits to reset anything either - all work perfectly. So would advise looking into a quality trusted high-end body shop and get a quote there also - best of luck and very interested to see progress.

PS: One of the reasons I went with plastic welding of the original piece was that I was getting the entire rear end (black plastic) sanded and painted anyway and simply 'filling' in the holes as part of the process was actually very cheap (I mean the hole filling process not the project as a whole :)!). If I were happy with keeping the grey/dimpled plastic parts then this swap out your are attempting would be almost a no brainer even with labor on install.

Last edited:

SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@Tsingtao, I would like to bump this thread to see if you ordered and did this mod. I am going to my collision shop to talk over the parts and the diagram that you shared to see if they will be willing to do it. I am a month away still but want to be prepared with all parts if you succeeded. Our Macan/Cayenne have super clean bumper/license look, so I will not be able to live with the monkey on Taycan's butt.

Tsingtao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toucan RWD
Country flag
@Tsingtao, I would like to bump this thread to see if you ordered and did this mod. I am going to my collision shop to talk over the parts and the diagram that you shared to see if they will be willing to do it. I am a month away still but want to be prepared with all parts if you succeeded. Our Macan/Cayenne have super clean bumper/license look, so I will not be able to live with the monkey on Taycan's butt.
Good timing! Just spoke with my dealer and he advised that it would be 2.5-3.0 hours of labor to make the swap. And so, I sent Aldo at Suncoast an e-mail asking for the link to make the purchase. For sure I will keep this OC group up to date on progress, parts required, etc. and post some pics once the new bumper cover is installed. It's funny, the more I think about the new bumper cover, the more the monkey-butt bothers me. But like others on this forum, I figure it is much easier/cheaper to get a new bumper cover installed than to go into therapy to find out why the monkey-butt bothers me so much.

OP
OP
ciaranob

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Good timing! Just spoke with my dealer and he advised that it would be 2.5-3.0 hours of labor to make the swap. And so, I sent Aldo at Suncoast an e-mail asking for the link to make the purchase. For sure I will keep this OC group up to date on progress, parts required, etc. and post some pics once the new bumper cover is installed. It's funny, the more I think about the new bumper cover, the more the monkey-butt bothers me. But like others on this forum, I figure it is much easier/cheaper to get a new bumper cover installed than to go into therapy to find out why the monkey-butt bothers me so much.
Couple of visuals to put your mind at ease :)!! First was bef I had all mottled grey plastic painted - second with plastic painted - not the best shots (bad iPhone 'bubble pic') and of course the monkey butt shot with car dirty in inspection on delivery to dealer - but still!

Def curious to hear what your final total (parts, shipping, labor etc.) cost is.

Porsche Taycan Decals on my modded license plate area Screenshot 2023-04-20 at 12.09.45 PM

Porsche Taycan Decals on my modded license plate area Screenshot 2023-04-20 at 12.11.46 PM

Tsingtao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toucan RWD
Country flag
Hey Sergey, as expected, the Euro bumper cover is not something that Suncoast keeps on the shelf. It is about a 30 day lead time from order to delivery via UPS -- no option for expedited shipping. I still have two weeks to wait before receiving, with install scheduled shortly thereafter. If you want to take a chance and have your Taycan looking its best right out of the gate, maybe contact Aldo at Suncoast and get your parts on order. I'd offer to give the OEM American monkey butt pieces to the dealer in exchange for him installing the Euro version in advance of you picking up the car.

SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hey Sergey, as expected, the Euro bumper cover is not something that Suncoast keeps on the shelf. It is about a 30 day lead time from order to delivery via UPS -- no option for expedited shipping. I still have two weeks to wait before receiving, with install scheduled shortly thereafter. If you want to take a chance and have your Taycan looking its best right out of the gate, maybe contact Aldo at Suncoast and get your parts on order. I'd offer to give the OEM American monkey butt pieces to the dealer in exchange for him installing the Euro version in advance of you picking up the car.
Appreciate the update. My plan is to see if you can do it first as my dealer would not do something like this, and I cannot imagine they have a need for it. I would be doing it through a well-known collision shop as they have removed and painted (for cosmetic purposes) lower bumpers and know how to do it. I showed them the plan, but they say, order it, bring it in, we will try. I know Aldo, who is there special order specialist and he helped me with a few questions before, so I am comfortable ordering the part but my issue is the extent of intervention to do the swap, as I would not want to do it if it is too extensive and requires a lot of parts to be removed and then put back. I am a month away anyways from getting the car, then at least a week of PPF so looking at mid June as the soonest to try something like this.
Sponsored