Decision Logic For Swapping From Winter to Summer Tires?

satchurator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 CT4
Country flag
Hoping to tap the wisdom of the experienced summer/winter wheel set swappers here.

The manual indicates a very binary 45°F (7°C) ambient for the threshold to switch.

For a daily driver, what are the considerations for switching during the transition period where daytime highs are consistently above 45°F but morning commute temperatures are below 45°?

Put another way, is it better to put a few hundred miles on winters at > 60°F than to risk summers on 30°F mornings?
Sponsored

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4, 991.2 GT3
Country flag
The 40°F-45°F is where the grip of summer tires disappear. If temps are low and you're running summers, you are not risking the fires, but your safety and the car. Stopping distances will be greater because the tires have less grip. It's almost like you are on ice. In an panic stop situation it could be bad.

Wait until the lows are above the 45° before swapping, there's no rush or harm in running the winter tires in warmer weather.

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
Isn’t the converse also true? I.e. above 7deg C the winter tyres will have less grip than the summer ones. Presumably in this situation all season tyres would actually offer the best compromise.

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4, 991.2 GT3
Country flag
Isn’t the converse also true? I.e. above 7deg C the winter tyres will have less grip than the summer ones. Presumably in this situation all season tyres would actually offer the best compromise.
No, winter tire is softer. If anything they will wear faster.

OP
OP
satchurator

satchurator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 CT4
Country flag
By @tbinmd ’s logic, the key factor is summer tire safety below 45°F/7°C, so the fall/autumn scenario would be governed by whether ambients are below that threshold at any point in the day’s driving, in which case it’s time to get off the summers.

Still, it would be interesting to understand any safety concerns of winters in high ambients say > 65°F/18°C. Do they turn to jelly / become more prone to a blowout?

Would love to hear from @f1eng on this one!

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4, 991.2 GT3
Country flag
Winters don't turn to jelly or blow out in warmer weather. They get softer, so the sidewalls are give more movement, the car will not handle as well as when on summer tires in warmer weather. If you run summers/winters back to back on a warm day on a autocross/skid pass or a highway ramp you will feel the difference.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
You could do either within the temp range you’re describing, just be prudent. I’ve run Race 2’s in mid 30’s weather with no problem. In the the dry. Would not do that in wet, but it’s not a big deal in the dry. True winters would be fine for while up to 60 as well, but I wouldn’t do it for long or you will start to wear them fast.

If you’re talking true winters, not AS, unless you were expecting wet or snow, I’d probably switch to summers in your temp range. If they’re AS obviously I’d stick with those until summer really comes.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
By @tbinmd ’s logic, the key factor is summer tire safety below 45°F/7°C, so the fall/autumn scenario would be governed by whether ambients are below that threshold at any point in the day’s driving, in which case it’s time to get off the summers.

Still, it would be interesting to understand any safety concerns of winters in high ambients say > 65°F/18°C. Do they turn to jelly / become more prone to a blowout?

Would love to hear from @f1eng on this one!
I put my summer tyres back on once the drivetime temperature averages 7C or more. sometimes get caught out.

Winter tyres will wear more quickly once it is warm but probably are better in warm weather than summer tyres are in cold and wet.

ThumbsUp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Taycan Turbo S; ‘20 Taycan Turbo (gone)
Country flag
I try to swap mine based on temperature and prevalence of potholes. I like to see low temps consistently around 40 degrees, and most potholes filled.

I switched to summer tires a couple of weeks ago and it turned out to be too soon. There are fewer potholes, but low temps were in the 20s earlier this week.

kmcdonal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan 350Z, Subaru WRX
Country flag
If it snows and you are running summer tires, there is a high probability of going off the road regardless of the vehicle. I have had too many close calls in various cars over the years with summer tires that I just don't risk it if there is a chance of snow. Even a dusting of snow can sometimes be enough to cause traction to become extremely limited. I generally am conservative about keeping the winters on until I know we were done with snow. I am sure I experience a little extra wear and tear on the winters and give up a little performance on the dry, but it is a small sacrifice compared to a crash.
Sponsored