First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ferrari 360 spider, Jaguar I-pace, VW Karmann Ghia
Country flag
Hey guys,

I'm looking to buy a Tacyan but I've got some decisions to make, I've got a line on 2 used (certified preowned) Taycan's, both are Turbo S's and one has 1k miles and the other 5k miles, both can be had for about $175k-$180k and you can see these cars at Beverly Hills Porsche or Santa Barbara Porsche. Both black/black, both with low miles, both fairly loaded and we're talking the top of the line Turbo S

But, one of my local dealerships, which has no Taycan's whatsoever on their lot, told me today that they have a Black 2023 GTS coming in towards December. The saleswoman told me the GTS slots in just above the 4S but beneath the Turbo's, she claims the GTS is the sweet spot and a favorite of Porsche owners.....evidently the iconic best-value and supposedly sought after version. Her claims do appear to have some merit in that the GTS does have some features unique to the GTS, such as some aero stuff and interior details. Price on this car, about $170k which is roughly what these used Turbo S's are running

So, which would you opt for: the 2020 or 2021 Turbo S.....OR....a brand spankin' new 000000 miles GTS? And of course, the saleswoman told me I'd best get my name on this car but somebody will put their name on it before it arrives. Sales bluff? Hard to say....I imagine as these models get more pricey it weeds out the typical buyer but still, I've got an itchy trigger finger.

Last comment, I've always thought Porsche's iconic color is Black (much as Ferrari is red and Corvette is yellow) so I was planning on Black.....but I keep hearing how it's so tough to keep them clean. I saw a Blue and while the color is rather bright, it's also rather nice....any thoughts on color? Thanks for the thoughts!
Sponsored

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Is the GTS offered at MSRP or is there ADM in the $170K?

OP
OP
Steve R

Steve R

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Is the GTS offered at MSRP or is there ADM in the $170K?
Honestly uncertain, the saleswoman sent me a pic of the build sheet and it actually list the price at $161k but from what I've heard they are tacking-on about $10k as a straight-up gouging maneuver. She didn't indicate if there were additional cost but at the risk of sounding pompous, once you're blowing over $140k it all becomes a rather moot point: if you're gonna care about an extra $10k, $20k, $30k or even $40k than this price range isn't something someone should be looking at: there is NOTHING practical or reasonable about blowing coin at this level. For me it comes down to a brand spankin' new GTS or a slightly/barely used Turbo S but I do like the idea of batteries that are 2 years newer and I'm sure the performance is still stellar.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Honestly uncertain, the saleswoman sent me a pic of the build sheet and it actually list the price at $161k but from what I've heard they are tacking-on about $10k as a straight-up gouging maneuver. She didn't indicate if there were additional cost but at the risk of sounding pompous, once you're blowing over $140k it all becomes a rather moot point: if you're gonna care about an extra $10k, $20k, $30k or even $40k than this price range isn't something someone should be looking at: there is NOTHING practical or reasonable about blowing coin at this level. For me it comes down to a brand spankin' new GTS or a slightly/barely used Turbo S but I do like the idea of batteries that are 2 years newer and I'm sure the performance is still stellar.
If as you say at this price point $40K doesn't make much of a difference to you then:
  1. Depreciation/resale value is not a consideration for you, as the depreciation difference between the 3 cars you mentioned will not exceed $40K
  2. You shouldn't worry about the 2 year newer batteries, since you can get brand new battery put in for $40K or less
This means you choice really should be based on which one would you rather be driving. If you value performance, go with Turbo S. If you value new car smell, go with GTS, unless of course one of the cars comes with some must have option which the other ones lack.

PS> Full disclosure, I am spending more than that on a Taycan and still would care even about $1K. I like nice things, and I can afford them, but I very much dislike overpaying for them. Whether I am buying Taycan, or a coffee, or a house, a dollar is a dollar. If after picking up the Taycan, on your way from the dealership you stopped by Starbucks and they charged you $5,000 instead of $5 for a coffee, would be upset and try to dispute the charge, or would you say "I just spent $170K on a Porsche, $5K is not going to make a difference to me today"? If you say you would fight the charge, why is it different if the dealer overcharged you 10 minutes earlier vs. the coffee shop - in either case you are not getting any more value in your purchase (you drink the coffee and have nothing, and nobody will care at resale or trade-in time whether you paid extra when the car was new).

Last edited:

Valen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Eva Ribelle RS
Country flag
GTS is a better 4S and Turbo S is well Turbo S. The "sweet spot" is only relevant when you compare asking prices, if they re roughly the same then the Turbo S is a sweeter spot ;)

Another thing to consider is if you prefer leather or racetex. You may check the GTS spec but usualy they come with racetex which is nice but it's not leather and it's not everyone taste.

You will get a better range on the GTS (about 20 miles which doesn't change the world) but the performance gap between the 2 car is huge. However, in real life you will rarely use more than 50% of (whatever) Taycan horsepower ;)

About black, mine is black and as all black car it looks stellar when clean but it's a the hardest color to maintain clean.
Do i struggle to keep it clean? Yes sometimes.
Do i regret to take in black? no ;)

Andy0565

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IPace
Country flag
Order a brand new Turbo S and if you can’t wait for it but one of the two that you have you’re eye on. Yep, GTS has the sweet spot reputation but, really, would any GTS owner turn down the chance to ‘free swap’ it for a Turbo S of the same age and mileage.
Price is what you pay, value’s what you get and I think the GTS represents the latter.

OP
OP
Steve R

Steve R

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If as you say at this price point $40K doesn't make much of a difference to you then:
  1. Depreciation/resale value is not a consideration for you, as the depreciation difference between the 3 cars you mentioned will not exceed $40K
  2. You shouldn't worry about the 2 year newer batteries, since you can get brand new battery put in for $40K or less
This means you choice really should be based on which one would you rather be driving. If you value performance, go with Turbo S. If you value new car smell, go with GTS, unless of course one of the cars comes with some must have option which the other ones lack.

PS> Full disclosure, I am spending more than that on a Taycan and still would care even about $1K. I like nice things, and I can afford them, but I very much dislike overpaying for them. Whether I am buying Taycan, or a coffee, or a house, a dollar is a dollar. If after picking up the Taycan, on your way from the dealership you stopped by Starbucks and they charged you $5,000 instead of $5 for a coffee, would be upset and try to dispute the charge, or would you say "I just spent $170K on a Porsche, $5K is not going to make a difference to me today"? If you say you would fight the charge, why is it different if the dealer overcharged you 10 minutes earlier vs. the coffee shop - in either case you are not getting any more value in your purchase (you drink the coffee and have nothing, and nobody will care at resale or trade-in time whether you paid extra when the car was new).
I appreciate your thoughts. Admittedly, I often order water at restaurants because paying $2.95 - $4.25 for iced tea or a soda seems like a rip-off. Stating it simple; despite what wealth I may have, I still make decisions as if I were still a little boy getting $5/week allowance. I'm frugal and do a LOT of stuff that I could easily hire someone else to do. The thing is, when it comes to buying R/E or nice cars, it's a bit like how I eat while on vacation: with reckless abandon to my regular daily values. I figure once I'm blowing $140k it doesn't really matter so long as I'm smiling huge at the end of the day.

As for the BIG power, I tend to drive very gentle and what I'd call range-optimal...I rarely dip into the power but every now and then it's fun to let the big dog eat and then it's worth it to have the huge power. I think the GTS may be a great 'value' and apparently it's the model variant known as the 'sweet spot' within the Porsche line-up. Still, I rather agree with you: the 2021 Turbo S with all those options only has about 1k miles and will have massive power/speed. I may be wrong but when another model passes you and it's a higher model, it rather feels like back in school when someone got a higher score on their test.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Turbo S all day and twice on Sunday, assuming the builds are similar. But the options are more important than the hp.

OP
OP
Steve R

Steve R

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Turbo S all day and twice on Sunday, assuming the builds are similar. But the options are more important than the hp.
I'm new to P-cars but unless I'm mistaken the Turbo S will already come with almost everything that's optioned on the lesser models?

OP
OP
Steve R

Steve R

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You guys want to see something a bit spooky.....check out the Hyundai Ionic 6, the guy even cites that it seems inspired by Porsche! Look at the front & rear, rather spooky, something we'd put our kids in!

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm new to P-cars but unless I'm mistaken the Turbo S will already come with almost everything that's optioned on the lesser models?
Not quite. It heavily depends on what options you want.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Performance options, yes; others, no. Color, wheels, seats, roof, stereo, leathers, etc.

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
My 2c: go with the CPO '21 1k-miles Turbo S. (1k miles is 0 miles.) The GTS either sounds like a "dealer order", or someone backed out. Either way, if the price is the same, you're paying more for less - before we even start talking about markups.

That'll be $5.

OP
OP
Steve R

Steve R

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My 2c: go with the CPO '21 1k-miles Turbo S. (1k miles is 0 miles.) The GTS either sounds like a "dealer order", or someone backed out. Either way, if the price is the same, you're paying more for less - before we even start talking about markups.

That'll be $5.
I'm inclined to agree with you. The dealer actually told me they have a few GTS's coming in towards December and were pressuring me to 'put my name on one'....but yeah, I'm sure there will be mark-up's and you are darn correct: 1k miles is pretty much 0 miles! And let's also consider, the resale on the Turbo S will be stronger than a GTS because the Turbo S is the big monster and even regarded as a hyper car with it's performance.

Codeias

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST (MY23), 911 Carrera 4 GTS (997)
Country flag
Turbo S is a beast, in all honesty too much of a beast for a daily, against the others in the range, that’s it’s only plus, it’s shockingly quick, but so are all the others compared to most ICE and EV’a for that matter, minus say the RWD, after driving them all and fortunately able to afford any of them (before the GTS was even a twinkle in the eye of OPC’s) I opted for a highly spec’d 4S as a daily it was perfect, many of my options would have been options I’d also have to spec on the Turbo S and I wouldn’t be able to use all that power, hence the 4S choice, able to use the power more and exploit the car a little more on a regular basis. What you get in the GTS is quite specific to the GTS, be that handling (suspension setup specially for the GTS) or it’s interior and sports sound, (again specific to the GTS), if a Turbo S passes you, you think OK, sweet bit of kit… if a GTS passes you (and you know your cars) you think there is someone that knows what they’re doing and knows their cars, best handling in the range with performance to match! My GTS ST (again stupidly spec’d) arrives in a few days and to say I can’t wait is an understatement. I also have a 911 (997) C4 GTS so know what differences the GTS historically has over the others in the range and what that bought to the table back in 2012.
Sponsored