First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I’ve had 2 battery issues with my Taycan 4S

1) both key fob batteries completely dead within 3 months of ownership with very light usage. Apparently, the car kept communicating with the fob and the red light on my key kept blinking thus draining the batteries.
2) the 12v issue everyone else is talking about here. Car completely dead while it was plugged in! The point of having an EV is so it’s plugged in and ready to go. I shut down using the start button and locked the car. I noticed that the car automatically unlocked and then eventually drained the battery while it sat for about 4 weeks unused. I was using the app and had a charge timer and climate timer set.
Very frustrated that there are electric issues like this for so long and yet Porsche still hasn’t figured it out. Not ok to say wait for a software update and in the meantime stop plugging it in and stop using the timer and apps!
These might be related. Some have resorted to shielded bags for key fobs if the keys aren't kept far enough away from the car. Disappointing none the less.
Sponsored

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
These might be related. Some have resorted to shielded bags for key fobs if the keys aren't kept far enough away from the car. Disappointing none the less.
pro tip, do not store the keys within close proximity to the car because of this issue

Nipri

First Name
Rajesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ice Grey Taycan
Country flag
Just about to order Taycan in the UK for May 2021 delivery & am hoping that all the issues mentioned in this posts have been sorted.
Beginning to wonder if should continue or not with the order!

dgompper

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4s
Country flag
Just about to order Taycan in the UK for May 2021 delivery & am hoping that all the issues mentioned in this posts have been sorted.
Beginning to wonder if should continue or not with the order!
I keep both keys in a faraday pouch while at home, and I also log out of the Connect app in my iPhone each evening. I believe that by disconnecting both from communicating with the car might help to minimize a possible 12v battery drain. I hope.

Nipri

First Name
Rajesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ice Grey Taycan
Country flag
I keep both keys in a faraday pouch while at home, and I also log out of the Connect app in my iPhone each evening. I believe that by disconnecting both from communicating with the car might help to minimize a possible 12v battery drain. I hope.
Thank you so much for the tip. Will do once the car arrives. Have told the dealer of the issues that some members are having & has assured me that all will be ironed out by the time get my car.

Fayaz

First Name
Fayaz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
pro tip, do not store the keys within close proximity to the car because of this issue
Yes the keys are within 10 ft and one wall of the car. I noticed when I had the app and the car plugged in with the key close by that the car would unlock and the key continued to flash until drained. Currently I deleted the app and have the car unplugged which seems to have resolved the key drain and unlock issue. But we shouldn’t have to resort to this or to keep the key protected and far.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Logging out of the connect app is not necessary. The car will still periodically check in with Porsche via a second low-power telematics connection (in the OTA control module). Your app simply gets the updates from that same Porsche server. Now if you go into the app and change something in the car, that's a different story...

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
"But we shouldn’t have to resort to this or to keep the key protected and far."

if you want to enjoy the technology you need to accept it's limitations. how hard is it to place the key out of range of the car? SMH

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
if you want to enjoy the technology you need to accept it's limitations. how hard is it to place the key out of range of the car? SMH
I don't thing the problem is to keep the key far from the car. The problem is that Porsche did ask the Taycan owners to do so, so some owners had to find their cars dead. Even now, Porsche has not officially communicated this advice to the owners, we just heard about from forum members who found out after a dealership visit. In my opinion, this lack of transparency and communication is the issue.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
I don't thing the problem is to keep the key far from the car. The problem is that Porsche did ask the Taycan owners to do so, so some owners had to find their cars dead. Even now, Porsche has not officially communicated this advice to the owners, we just heard about from forum members who found out after a dealership visit. In my opinion, this lack of transparency and communication is the issue.
the same thing happens with the tesla key fob and I suspect it is the same for cars with similar systems. these remote key fobs have been around awhile

mc9er

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2021 Audi Q7
Country flag
the same thing happens with the tesla key fob and I suspect it is the same for cars with similar systems. these remote key fobs have been around awhile
How far away are we talking? Is there a way to “test” if too close? Have a drawer we keep keys in ~15 feet from the cars (through a door/hallway)

Fayaz

First Name
Fayaz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
How far away are we talking? Is there a way to “test” if too close? Have a drawer we keep keys in ~15 feet from the cars (through a door/hallway)
Just to note none of my other cars ever had this issue. But with the Taycan however I did test it. The key flashes continuously when just passed 1 wall and 8 to 10ft and unlocks the car and unfolds mirrors. When I moved it about 25 ft and 2 walls away it was fine. Both instances with the car plugged in and app installed but not active. With the car unplugged and app deleted the issue seems to have vanished even within close range.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
There is a key difference here - the Taycan writes to the key and the key has visual indication of this. If you see the red ring around the Porsche crest light up at any point, the key is in range of the car. So, if you see a red flash from wherever you wish to store your keys, you need to move them or shield them.

Side note, I don't know why it is designed to write the last user ID to the key many times over after shutting off the car - once would be sufficient. Maybe it does so to ensure the write succeeds...

OP
OP

Dan3141

First Name
Dejan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020Taycan 4S
Country flag
So far Porsche has not come back to me. Car has been at the dealer more then 2 weeks.
1800 Porsche calls have not resulted in anything. Will likely turn over to legal tomorrow afternoon.

OP
OP

Dan3141

First Name
Dejan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020Taycan 4S
Country flag
Ok so real time update.
An incredibly polite guy from Porsche called me, got the dealer on the call (seems like they had issues getting service advisor from dealer on the phone). Dealer repeated the "battery wont be here at least until end of March" so now they will escalate further up the chain at Porsche.
Today is the first time I feel that Porsche did what they were supposed to do.

D
Sponsored