DEFINITIVELY, is the 22kW charger option of any use in UK?

R Benny Waered

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S, Rapide S, Mc GT, ID.5
Country flag
Its just not fast enough for en-route charging really as we'd be seeking min 50kW DC chargers surely and ideally 150kW+ ones? Is there any benefit to speccing this for road trips to Scotland, going past Gretna etc - maybe even for trips to Continental Europe?

Charging is the key Achilles' heel currently so to do anything to add to that isn't good - despite the considerable 22kW AC option cost...

Also, the internet says that the 150kW DC option (for use on 400v chargers only Ii believe) is of no use in UK as our fast DC chargers are NOT 400v and are more like the car's native 800v. So you don't need it. How about in Continental Europe?

If you aren't 100,000,000% certain and sure don't add to this mix pls, as I've been on this conjecture journey for 4 month and now have to LOCK :)

Cheers.
Sponsored

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Its just not fast enough for en-route charging really as we'd be seeking min 50kW DC chargers surely and ideally 150kW+ ones? Is there any benefit to speccing this for road trips to Scotland, going past Gretna etc - maybe even for trips to Continental Europe?

Charging is the key Achilles' heel currently so to do anything to add to that isn't good - despite the considerable 22kW AC option cost...

Also, the internet says that the 150kW DC option (for use on 400v chargers only Ii believe) is of no use in UK as our fast DC chargers are NOT 400v and are more like the car's native 800v. So you don't need it. How about in Continental Europe?

If you aren't 100,000,000% certain and sure don't add to this mix pls, as I've been on this conjecture journey for 4 month and now have to LOCK :)

Cheers.
I would advise you to take the 150 kW option. The cost is very moderate. And IF Tesla will open their charging network you will be smiling every time you can only find a Tesla Supercharger nearby!
;)

OP
OP
R Benny Waered

R Benny Waered

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S, Rapide S, Mc GT, ID.5
Country flag
Now that is a cracking tip with great foresight built in. Thanks.

jontybutts

First Name
Jonty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Eletre R, Taycan
Country flag
If you have 3phase supply either at home or like I have at your own factory or workplace then spec the 22kw option, if not it’s probably of little use. 2nd the 150kw upgrade for the small outlay, although Tesla opening it’s charging infrastructure is unlikely in the near future.

Boss Hogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S, 981 GT4
Country flag
I optioned 400v as it was low cost and gives extra flexibility. I also have the 22kW charging option as we have them at the office and there are lots of them in rural locations, the same places you can easily get caught out. Worth noting that (in Scotland at least) many of the 50kW DC chargers can charge 1x DC and 1x AC at the same time, so gives a reasonable second best option if a charger is busy on DC. If you don't have 22kW you can still charge at 11kW, just takes double the time. As EVs quickly grow in popularity, chargers will become busier so the more charging options the better.

That’s my 2p worth……..

mcr21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
22kW stations (Source London) are being rolled out across central London at a fairly impressive rate, so helpful for charging locally if you need semi-quick charging rate.
Sponsored