Delivery delay from Nov to Jan. Don't know how I feel if I miss the tax credit.

ChalkTaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan
Country flag
I ordered my 4s back in June and delivery date just got push back this week from Nov>Dec>first week of January now. With the possible ev law change, I may miss out the $7500 EV tax credit. Is anyone in the same situation?

In case we don't get the credit, are you still going to take delivery of the car? It is not really about the money... just doesn't sit right.
Sponsored

Henke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I ordered my 4s back in June and delivery date just got push back this week from Nov>Dec>first week of January now. With the possible ev law change, I may miss out the $7500 EV tax credit. Is anyone in the same situation?

In case we don't get the credit, are you still going to take delivery of the car? It is not really about the money... just doesn't sit right.
Im in exactly this situation. Thinking of talking to my accountant to see if there are any work arounds.

Evpower

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 2022, Bolt 2020
Country flag
Never buy a vehicle on promises. Always buy it because you want it and can afford it. You will be much happier.

Jrkennedy37

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 Panamera ST, '21 Taycan CT4
Country flag
Never buy a vehicle on promises. Always buy it because you want it and can afford it. You will be much happier.
I’m in same boat as OP.

$7500 is a significant percentage of the base car price and will absolutely be a factor in purchasing the car when it arrives, especially when expectations and budget were set differently.

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
I am not in the US and have no idea how your laws work… but could you pay for it in full in December to get the tax break and get the car when it arrives in January? It would be a December sale then.

DACSarasota

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan RWD
Country flag
I am in the same boat (and our cars will be also). 1/7/22 delivery now. It will be down to the wire (and who knows what will happen with tax credit).

My dealer seems to think Porsche may try to push to get cars to arrive in 2021 as they will want to receive the income before year end. The delay doesn't appear to be production related at all for me, but issues with shipping/ports and lack of labor.

LonePalmBJ

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S Gentian Blue Metallic, Black/Chalk,
Country flag
I am not in the US and have no idea how your laws work… but could you pay for it in full in December to get the tax break and get the car when it arrives in January? It would be a December sale then.
The way the tax code is written the vehicle must be "placed into service" in the tax year. I'm not a tax professional but I don't think that the date-of-sale is sufficient.

Henke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I am in the same boat (and our cars will be also). 1/7/22 delivery now. It will be down to the wire (and who knows what will happen with tax credit).

My dealer seems to think Porsche may try to push to get cars to arrive in 2021 as they will want to receive the income before year end. The delay doesn't appear to be production related at all for me, but issues with shipping/ports and lack of labor.
I don't think the dealers have a clue, to be honest. My dealer said the car would come in November or early December. On order it was Dec 3 and he said it will definitely be in well before year end. When it slipped to Dec 17, he said he was hopeful it would be year end. Now it is 1/7, he hasn't replied to my text yet...

OP
OP

ChalkTaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan
Country flag
The car is for my wife. We can easily pay cash for the car and it is really not about coming up with the $7500. We just feel wrong to lose out the tax credit.

Henke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
The car is for my wife. We can easily pay cash for the car and it is really not about coming up with the $7500. We just feel wrong to lose out the tax credit.
Same. I also qualify for the California rebate of $1,500. I just looked into this program and it reduces to $750 in November. First world problems but doesn't mean it doesn't suck!

Ken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Country flag

My 4S started production on 10/13, was scheduled to be completed on 10/22 and delivered to California mid-December. Now, it is not scheduled to complete production on 11/26 (5 weeks in production instead of the normal 1 week) and delivery is mid January.

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Previously: 914, 944 and 997 911S. Now Taycan
Country flag
My SA said that "the tax credit is absolutely not in jeopardy." But then, he is an SA. I thought there was talk of a $12.500 credit in Congress, and that there would be no change to the tax code until Congress acts to increase, decrease, or eliminate, and that this could take months, if it even happens. So I wonder why so many are certain that we lose the credit? My car is expected into San Diego 12/28 so I am in same boat as others...literally in many cases.

Kellster

First Name
Kellie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan
Country flag
My SA said that "the tax credit is absolutely not in jeopardy." But then, he is an SA. I thought there was talk of a $12.500 credit in Congress, and that there would be no change to the tax code until Congress acts to increase, decrease, or eliminate, and that this could take months, if it even happens. So I wonder why so many are certain that we lose the credit? My car is expected into San Diego 12/28 so I am in same boat as others...literally in many cases.
Legally, as of today, the tax credit remains applicable to the Taycan. The "Build Back Better" package pending in Congress would have eliminated the credit for Taycans and other more expensive EVs. The terms of the proposed bills were not clear as to whether the credit would be eliminated starting with the 2022 tax year or on the date the bill was signed but it was clear that if the car transfers title in 2021 the Taycan would still be eligible.

Yes, Sunday there was an announcement by Senator Joe Manchin, the 50th vote, that he won't vote for BBB so it looks like it's dead. However, I have worked in politics for 40 years and these things have a habit of springing back to life. If there is anyway to get your dealer to finalize the sale or lease by 2021, it is advisable.

BBB proposed to increase the tax credit to $12,500 but is only for vehicles made in the US by union labor. I heard that only applies to the Bolt.

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I thought there was talk of a $12.500 credit in Congress, and that there would be no change to the tax code until Congress acts to increase, decrease, or eliminate, and that this could take months, if it even happens. So I wonder why so many are certain that we lose the credit?
The $7500 tax credit for Taycan remains in effect until new legislation is enacted to modify or eliminate it. Buyers who take possession of Taycan from Jan 1, 2022 and after cannot be certain that they lose the credit. They also cannot be certain they actually qualify for the credit in 2022 until they are certain that modifying legislation (Build Back Better or some EV tax credit-related alternative) is not enacted with a retroactive effective date which includes the date they received their car.

A major thrust of the new EV tax credit legislation is to expand the credit, so there could be motivation to make its effective date as early as possible, should such legislation be enacted.

If you receive your Taycan in 2022, you cannot be certain about the tax credit until the tax year is over.
Sponsored

Last edited: