Delivery delayed - What are others seeing

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Just curious... does Tesla has problems with microchips too?
Probably not the right place to say that, but if I'd live in the States, I'd take Tesla (X).
Longer range, better battery, proven software... why are you guys staying in lines for Taycan?
Yes. A friend ordered a Model X in January with no ETA! :swear: My RWD Taycan came in just over a month! April order - delivered 5/29/21.
Sponsored

Reactions: B61

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
That was extremely fast delivery, congrats!
As I already mentioned, I signed it on April 18, promised for end of May, being delayed for mid June, hopefully will get it (as confirmed yesterday) by July 09.

BTW, Tesla X would arrive by mid of November.

CT4Taycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Country flag
Probably not the right place to say that, but if I'd live in the States, I'd take Tesla (X).
Longer range, better battery, proven software... why are you guys staying in lines for Taycan?
Already own two Teslas, i want that Taycan!

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Then
The chip shortage is real and severe and it is affecting every car company:

https://apple.news/ATZKPkLraTm6K1H0enQn9DA

Yorkshirepuds

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST, Harley Heritage, Triumph Rocket 3
Country flag
To paraphrase something Jeremy Clarkson once said...
Buying a Tesla because it's got a 'longer range, better battery & proven software' is a bit like marrying someone because they're reliable.

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
To paraphrase something Jeremy Clarkson once said...
Buying a Tesla because it's got a 'longer range, better battery & proven software' is a bit like marrying someone because they're reliable.
I don't know anyone who said Teslas were reliable. Their lousy fit and finish is both legendary and shameful and from my experience as a Tesla Model S owner, their service frankly sucks.

You'd expect after 8 years of production they'd have their shit together to produce a pretty flawless product. The fact is Teslas remain completely hit and miss so far as fit and finish is concerned, so the reliability argument to me is null and void.

As for longer range, no Tesla meets its stated EPA range. None. Granted, their practical and real range may exceed the Taycan, but not by much.

I'm not saying Tesla doesn't make a good car. They did break the mold in creating an EV that effectively set the standard that all other EV manufacturers must either attain or exceed. Porsche responded brilliantly with the Taycan, a car whose fit and finish far exceeds Tesla with styling and handling that blow Tesla out of the water.

Admittedly, there are software issues with the Taycan, but those are things that can be addressed via updates, just like Tesla, and will only make the Taycan a car that truly improves over time.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I don't know anyone who said Teslas were reliable. Their lousy fit and finish is both legendary and shameful and from my experience as a Tesla Model S owner, their service frankly sucks.

You'd expect after 8 years of production they'd have their shit together to produce a pretty flawless product. The fact is Teslas remain completely hit and miss so far as fit and finish is concerned, so the reliability argument to me is null and void.

As for longer range, no Tesla meets its stated EPA range. None. Granted, their practical and real range may exceed the Taycan, but not by much.

I'm not saying Tesla doesn't make a good car. They did break the mold in creating an EV that effectively set the standard that all other EV manufacturers must either attain or exceed. Porsche responded brilliantly with the Taycan, a car whose fit and finish far exceeds Tesla with styling and handling that blow Tesla out of the water.

Admittedly, there are software issues with the Taycan, but those are things that can be addressed via updates, just like Tesla, and will only make the Taycan a car that truly improves over time.
+2 Exactly.

RecoveringGT3Addict

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Country flag
I want a car that doesn't drive like a pregnant hippo.

RecoveringGT3Addict

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Country flag
Yes my X has the fun yellow edges around the screen (I think they are finally replacing those now), all my seals seem to be disintegrating or melting into whatever they were made from, the media player doesn't work half the time, the auto wipers have been in Beta forever and never work right. But at least it plays a fart sound amirite?

Oh and it was in the shop for almost a month due to a bad door sensor for one of the falcon wings, and my rear wing was warped and needed a replacement.

I mean, it's amazing in many ways, but it definitely has quality problems, more than any car I've owned.

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag

+2 Exactly.
I don't think it's that cut and dried.
There are Tesla models that meet EPA, if driven in a normal way, and configured with non-sport tires. I have 20K on a Model3, averaging 299 miles (310 EPA) - but that includes a LOT of long road trips blasting down the highway far in excess of EPA speeds, and several longer winter trips. That car EASILY exceeds 310 miles if driven within EPA parameters.

Similarly with service. They have had massive growing pains, but the basic premise is IMHO better: for most simple service they send a car to your location, vs. you going to a dealer and losing use of the car. They also have better telemetry than most. Case in point: as it would happen, my 911 had it's battery fail at roughly the same time that the battery in the Model 3 needed replacement. (they are both nearing 4 years of age, so not THAT surprising).
Here's how that went.

Porsche: Battery fails with no warning. Car is dead, luckily in my garage. I call Porsche road assistance. The whole thing is painful: they ask for VIN, there's no scheduling, they dispatch a third party, who shows up in a beat up and sketchy looking 15 year old honda crv (no logos/company/anything visible). Car gets started up, instructions "just drive it around, it probably just lost charge". I drive it around for 2 hours, and on my way home, the auto-start-stop kills the engine at a traffic light on the highway offramp. Car won't start. Porsche roadside assistance is 45 min out. I call AAA instead, they prioritize me ("you're on the middle of a highway offramp??? we're coming right now!") and I get help within 10 min. Start the car, drive it to the dealership. 1 week later, car returned with new battery, >$1000 cost all in. Battery is for some reason in the fine print for "not covered by warranty".

Tesla: Car send me a message in the app "Battery is aging faster than expected, replacement indicated, schedule service by clicking here" (not exact text, but that was the flow). Tap, pick a day, tap pick an hour. It's our third car, so I just leave it standing in the driveway. That same week, they show up and fix this while I'm at work. I return, they car is fixed, and they went ahead and did a quick "tire pressure check and refill windshield washer fluid". Replacement covered by warranty.

So, at least 1 data point of their service being good. And importantly, the underlying approach is IMHO much better than "drive to a dealer, they will solve it for you".

(yes, the taycan drives better, yes, that's a dominant criteria for me and that's why I can't wait for mine to arrive -- but there's a lot to like about Tesla too)

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I had a 2020 M3 and live in the ideal climate for EV. Daily use and even when hypermiling never got anything north of ~250 miles.

There was no "simple" service for me with them. Communication is terrible. Axle clicking that went unsolved after 3 attempts at them throwing parts at it - and never solved. Multiple trips to service complaining about the notorious clunking control arms and they never did anything until I complained to a mobile tech about the upper control arms so he could put a ticket in to get a set ordered. Felt like a chore to constantly bother them daily to get an answer which most of time I did not. It's a miracle getting someone on the phone. PITA overall and I'm glad I'm out.

Porsche: 100% better everything. Treatment, ordering, service, communication, delivery, product quality, post-sale communication/treatment. No comparison.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
Hey guys, don’t get me wrong - I’m in love with cross-turismo since I’ve read an article few months ago.
it was also not my intention to start a Porsche:Tesla war at all. Few friends are driving panameras and i’m awared about the differences between P and T.
But I also have a friend who strongly advised me to go with Tesla (his words: you’ll be dissapointed on electric car if you buy any other then Tesla)....and, I probably would if there would be any avilable X or Y for “cash & carry”.
You see,i’m almost 2m, 100kg (old) man, driving SUVs last 20 years.... and even if I tested taycan sedan (and CT is about two inches higher), I still have some worries how I’ll leave the car On a parking place, where‘s not lots of space to open the door...

Anyway- Macan BEV would be probably better for me, but I didn’t want to wait another three years, so here I am, excited, waiting, hoping (on delivery)...

CT4Taycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Country flag
Hey guys, don’t get me wrong - I’m in love with cross-turismo since I’ve read an article few months ago.
it was also not my intention to start a Porsche:Tesla war at all. Few friends are driving panameras and i’m awared about the differences between P and T.
But I also have a friend who strongly advised me to go with Tesla (his words: you’ll be dissapointed on electric car if you buy any other then Tesla)....and, I probably would if there would be any avilable X or Y for “cash & carry”.
You see,i’m almost 2m, 100kg (old) man, driving SUVs last 20 years.... and even if I tested taycan sedan (and CT is about two inches higher), I still have some worries how I’ll leave the car On a parking place, where‘s not lots of space to open the door...

Anyway- Macan BEV would be probably better for me, but I didn’t want to wait another three years, so here I am, excited, waiting, hoping (on delivery)...
I own two Teslas, they're cool and I haven't had any major problems. I had the SD card for media control unit fail and replaced a few weeks ago, had to get towed and get a loaner.

I'm getting a CT Taycan because I also want a Porsche (will be my first) but do not want to go back to ICE cars. Teslas are a dime a dozen here in southern California.

ljump12

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M3
Country flag
8/6 to 8/13 to 8/20 now 8/27!
My lock date which was originally end of last month is now July 4th. (40 days later). Sigh.. I canceled my Tesla Plaid order because I was pissed that they couldn't tell me when it'd come, and I thought at least with the Porsche they've given me a date. Guess a date doesn't really mean much if it just gets constantly pushed back.

Still way more excited for the Taycan-CT than I ever was for the Tesla.
Sponsored

Reactions: B61