Delivery: Porsche Mobile Charge Connect & Porsche Charging Dock for the Porsche Mobile Charger Connect

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
what came with North American vehicle as delivered?

I was delivered the following items when taking delivery of my 2020 North American Taycan Turbo
  1. part #9Y0.971.675.BL - Porsche Mobile Charge Connect unit
  2. part #7PP.971.676.BD - Porsche Mobile Charge Connect J-1772 25 foot cable ($0 at order time - highly recommended for most installs)
  3. part #7PP.971.678.ED- Porsche Mobile Charge Connect NEMA 14-50 supply cable - un-attached - this is the North American default unless you specify otherwise in your order
  4. part #7PP.971.678.CC - Porsche Mobile Charge Connect NEMA 5-15 supply cable - un-attached -
  5. *-star tool Allen wrench for attaching/detaching the supply cables to the PMCC
    1. *-star screw for attachment of the NEMA 14-50 cable - easily lost and very very small
    2. this tool appears to be fairly unique - I'd recommend not losing it - I've taped mine and the bag it came from to the inside of the Porsche Charging Dock enclosure.
  6. part #9Y0.860.811 - Porsche Mobile Charger Connect storage bag with zipper cover and two straps with carabiner attachments perfectly spaced for attachment in the rear trunk of the Taycan
  7. part #7PP.915.706.- Porsche Charging Dock (optional)
    1. 2 locking keys for the Charging Dock
  8. part #9Y0012003- Porsche Mobile Charge Connect - Operating Manual
  9. part #9Y0.012.701.A- Porsche Mobile Charge Connect - Installation Manual ROW
  10. part #9Y0.012.003.A - Porsche Mobile Charge Connect - Gebruiksaanwijzing
  11. part #9Y0012701 - Porsche Mobile Charge Connect - Installation Manual EU
My delivery items did _NOT_ include the PMCC "basic" mount - I believe this was excluded due to my order containing Porsche Charging Dock.

The one surprise, because this is unclear from the Porsche configurator, is the inclusion of the NEMA 5-15 supply cable (house hold outlet) - this means your Porsche is delivered to you with a single 240 volt supply cable as ordered (14-50, 6-50, 14-30, 6-30) and a 5-15 120 volt 12/15 amp cable.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
having lived with the vehicle and the charger now for almost a week - I consider Porsche's use of the term "mobile" to be a expansive definition of "mobile" - the unit is high quality and well made, but it is big, bulky and heavy.

For EV road warrior use cases I'm planning to use my Tesla Gen1 UMC which is much smaller and much lighter, and more easily handled - I see nothing "wrong" with the PMCC - but it's less mobile than I would like and there are affordable alternatives that are more compact/lighter that perform the same function.

the PMCC has a permanent place of honor in my garage for the 98% of the time when I'm charging my Taycan at home over night.

Last edited:

bswets

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
having lived with the vehicle and the charger now for almost a week - I consider Porsche's use of the term "mobile" to be a expansive definition of "mobile" - the unit is high quality and well made, but it is big, bulky and heavy.

For EV road warrior use cases I'm planning to use my Tesla Gen1 UMC which is much smaller and much lighter, and more easily handled - I see nothing "wrong" with the PMCC - but it's less mobile than I would like and there are affordable alternatives that are more compact/lighter that perform the same function.
My last car was an Audi A3 e-tron (not the e-tron SUV, but the VW Golf-based plug-in hybrid hatchback). I'm still awaiting the delivery of my Taycan, but from the pictures, I can tell you: The charger is absolutely the same model that VW Group has been using for a while now. It unwieldy and poorly designed, but I never had any charging trouble with it.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
  1. *-star tool Allen wrench for attaching/detaching the supply cables to the PMCC
I would not loose any sleep over it! It is a standard Torx 10 tool. Included in kit if you ever have replaced hard disks in a laptop. :).

The screws are small I agree but they are likely also standard sizes.

HelfFL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag

I received the exact same parts with my Turbo and also agree that the Porsche Mobile Charger Connect is not that "mobile". I intend to keep that PMCC permanently installed in the wall dock and will be purchasing a separate, more mobile charger to keep in the car. The new Porsche Mobile Charger seems like it should be more mobile, but my dealer just told me it will be $1,300 (yes, significant Porsche tax) and is estimated to be available in 5-7 weeks. So I will probably just go with @daveo4EV suggestion for the Tesla Gen2 EVSE since I already have a Tesla-Tap.

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
what came with North American vehicle as delivered?

I was delivered the following items when taking delivery of my 2020 North American Taycan Turbo

1. part #7PP.971.678.ED- Porsche Mobile Charge Connect NEMA 14-50 supply cable - un-attached - this is the North American default unless you specify otherwise in your order.
Hi Dave,

Picked up a Porsche 6-30 input cable as a road-trip backup. It is #10 AWG and rated for 105C. Have not seen the 6-50 or 14-50 cable yet (Delivery at ATL PEC 19 AUG) and would like to know the wire size. If the 14-50 input cable is #10 AWG it may explain some of the hot wire issues (It should be #8 AWG or #6 AWG for a 50A circuit). Are you able to see the embossed AWG #?

Also, Porsche changed the input cables from 900 mm (35") to 300 mm (11"+). Could not order a 900 mm input cable.

PNWTaycan4S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘91 Polar Silver 964, ‘20 Dolomite Silver Taycan 4S, ‘19 Gravity Blue Nero EV
Country flag
I received the exact same parts with my Turbo and also agree that the Porsche Mobile Charger Connect is not that "mobile". I intend to keep that PMCC permanently installed in the wall dock and will be purchasing a separate, more mobile charger to keep in the car. The new Porsche Mobile Charger seems like it should be more mobile, but my dealer just told me it will be $1,300 (yes, significant Porsche tax) and is estimated to be available in 5-7 weeks. So I will probably just go with @daveo4EV suggestion for the Tesla Gen2 EVSE since I already have a Tesla-Tap.
I also have the Tesla Gen 2 mobile charger, Tesla Gen 2 Adapter Kit, and Tesla Tap. Packed in two super small packages, ready for the road. Porsche dock at home.

HelfFL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Hi Dave,

Picked up a Porsche 6-30 input cable as a road-trip backup. It is #10 AWG and rated for 105C. Have not seen the 6-50 or 14-50 cable yet (Delivery at ATL PEC 19 AUG) and would like to know the wire size. If the 14-50 input cable is #10 AWG it may explain some of the hot wire issues (It should be #8 AWG or #6 AWG for a 50A circuit). Are you able to see the embossed AWG #?

Also, Porsche changed the input cables from 900 mm (35") to 300 mm (11"+). Could not order a 900 mm input cable.
Can anyone with the 14-50 input cable verify the gauge of the charger cable? My car and charger are at the dealer right now so I can't check mine. My car and charger are there to try and figure out the hot wire issues that me and others on these forums are experiencing.
Sponsored