Delivery scheduling is idiotic

HigherLevel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3P, Porsche Macan S, 2021 Taycan Turbo S (Jan 21)
Country flag
Am I the only one that really has no definitive delivery date, or is this a common occurrence? Ordered a 2021 and initial delivery date of Jan 1. Cool. Then it gets updated to Dec 24 last month. Great.

Two weeks ago, I'm still on track for Dec 24. Then the day before delivery, it's pushed to Jan 1 again. No big deal, but seems odd they don't know where the car is a day before delivery right? They tell me Jan 1 is the new date. I make plans to pick it up on Jan 2 today, but they still don't actually know if the car will be ready then, because once it's put on the delivery truck, no one knows how to get ahold of this guy or has any kind of tracking updates. Huh? They don't have the phone number of their delivery drivers carrying $200k cars? I mean, the most high-tech way would be for the guy to be using a GPS tracker that integrates with an app so the dealership could just check themselves, but a basic phone number would work too. They have neither.

It wouldn't be a big deal except the dealership is an hour away and I have to make plans to be there with a time that works for both me and my wife. Slightly annoying they don't have their shit together with organizing pickup times they know they can meet.
Sponsored

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Some things, like customs, Porsche has no control over. If your car arrived in the US, it's a variable amount of time before it's at your dealer and prepped. The wait for customs and delivery was painful, because there was no way to track it, after watching my car leave Emden, transit the Panama Canal, and go past the GGB.

Once it arrives at the dealer, then you can make a firm appointment. I scheduled mine a few days after arrival, because with covid, they can only have 1 party there at a time to do delivery (and everything was outside :p), plus I didn't want to drag my salesperson in on a day off.

bootsie

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Golf GTI 16v
Country flag
Am I the only one that really has no definitive delivery date
No, you're not the only one.
I'm not sure I ever got a delivery date from my dealer - I did chase up early in the process and the V-codes said it should be finished production on 8th December. I was told that they won't really know much else until it hits the port here in the UK.
I got a call on the 21st December telling me to come in on the 23rd (2 days notice) to sign the paperwork and take delivery.

I too can't believe that neither Porsche nor the dealer really knows what the schedules are - they must have capacity planning and logistics to think about. If they're getting 2 transporters of vehicles coming in to the dealer that all need PDI surely they'd know more than 48 hours in advance?
Sponsored