Disaster! Spec missing the one thing I wanted. ????

Jaybo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Coming from a manual N/A 911 to the Taycan Turbo without the sound….we Just didn’t need it. Simply floor it and the torge, electric motor and bit of road noise give a sense of speed that I believe gets lost behind the noise of an internal combustion engine. It’s difficult to describe but I wouldn’t have it any other way and I don’t think I can go back.
Sponsored

Evnoob

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
I like mine, but I wouldn’t lose any sleep if I didn’t have it.

Only thing worth adding, that’s not been mentioned yet is that like many features, it doesn’t latch. So it turns off whenever you leave the car and needs to be turned on each and every time you take the car out.

It’s buried away in the PCM even deeper than the radio controls. But most people who like it, program one of the soft buttons on the dash or steering wheel. Even the radio controls don’t get that first class status.

But despite that (or perhaps partly because of it) I find I regularly forget/dont bother to turn it on.
As others have said, the car sounds great anyway, the sport sound is just louder. In fact my kids often ask me if it’s on or off, and make me turn back and forth so they can confirm the difference. Which is subtle.

Would I spec it again? Yes, sure! It’s fun.

Would I care if I hadn’t specd it? Nah, not really. The road noise takes over quickly after the initial acceleration.

Would I pay 3x the option price to retrofit? Absolutely NOT!

Rafe Stone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche- 1979 SC; 1998 Carrera; 2007 Carrera; 2019 Panamera S; Taycan Turbo
Country flag
So, get my 4S CT min Oct
Can’t wait.
…… but to my horror I only noticed yesterday that I haven’t spec’d sport sound. Big error.
……this is a disaster for me. It was the one thing I wanted more than any other. ?

I know I can have it retro fitted by Porsche for the good value sum of around £1,700. Which seems highly unpalatable

are there any other providers who do this kind of thing? Any suggestions.?

thanks guys
Rob
Agree with the others that you don’t really need the sport sound. I don’t turn mine on unless I’m showing off to a friend. Otherwise it’s off.

Capt Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan4S. 2017 Macan S
Country flag
I had a test drive with Sport Sound and turned it off after 10 mins as it was so annoying.
For me, it ruined the quiet cabin and overall experience as it was intrusive.
Only time I can imagine using it is maybe when taking someone for a blast to enhance the experience, but not worth the money just for that (IMO).
Never use it. Why?

TayTaySD

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mamba Green Taycan 4S
Country flag
I thought I would love it, only use it on first person new test drives for a few moments.
I fail to understand why this has its own sub-system, the existing audio system should do
this feature. Poor system engineering.

That could completely change if they did "the right thing"!
1. It should have volume control
2. It should have multiple configurable sounds
- Porsche turbo engine
- screaming F1 engine
- Big American V8
- Galloping horse. No way a stodgy German company does anything fun. Taycan means
Spirited young horse in Turkish according to Porsche...
3. Selection should be part of personal parameters stored when starting off driving.

Swede-ish

First Name
Hans
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Land Rover Defender 110, BMW 530e
Country flag
Very late to the table here, but I would say, YES - the sports sound is very cool! I got it with my car, and at first I thought - why make extra noise in this very quiet ride??? I turned it off. But now after owning the Turbo for over a year, I embrace the sport sound as an optional fun! It sounds great, and reminds you that you are in "sports plus" and Teslas are run off the side of the road ;). By the way, our extra car Model Y went back after two weeks - such a POS. LOL. Luckily, the market right now is crazy enough that you can sell anything pretty much for more than you paid!

DavidInEngland

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mamba Green Taycan, Miami Blue Boxster 718, Mercedes-Benz A Class, Mini Cooper S
Country flag
um honstly - unless you’re being sarcastic - the sports sound will NOT be missed.
I agree a total waste of money, barely noticed it

schwar

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo MY21
Country flag
I love the sports sound and use it half the time I'm driving the car. It adds so much personality to the car, in my opinion. It is like the Misson E wheels to me - it isn't a Taycan without it.

Reactions: B61

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Assume several of you have 911’s and love the sound (I did!). So why the love of quiet in the Taycan… Getting a bit old and grumpy?
Old, yes, and I've always been grumpy.

I have had an old Ferrari, the most recent with no driver aids, 3-pedals and a 6 speed manual gearbox. A real driver's car for years and it sounds magnificent and rewards skilful driving.

I had stopped driving it much though, mainly because I nearly always need more than 2 seats now our grandchildren are often with us.

I wanted a 4 seat, 4 door car with a good turn of speed and had been looking at Bentley, S-class and Panamera and been a bit disappointed with all of them in various ways but was delighted they were quiet, no point in having a noise I don't like in the car, and many cars nowadays have piped in sound to compensate for the fact that a few cylinders and turbo are a good efficiency choice but sound naff.

I don't like that concept at all, fake noise yuk, and one of the great things about the Taycan was it ticked all the boxes for space and was superbly quiet but had the throttle response of the Ferrari in the optimum gear.

So I was as supremely unimpressed by the fake Taycan noise as all the other fake noises in modern cars so was delighted it was a cost option I could economise on :)

Swissbob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo
Country flag
Old, yes, and I've always been grumpy.

I have had an old Ferrari, the most recent with no driver aids, 3-pedals and a 6 speed manual gearbox. A real driver's car for years and it sounds magnificent and rewards skilful driving.

I had stopped driving it much though, mainly because I nearly always need more than 2 seats now our grandchildren are often with us.

I wanted a 4 seat, 4 door car with a good turn of speed and had been looking at Bentley, S-class and Panamera and been a bit disappointed with all of them in various ways but was delighted they were quiet, no point in having a noise I don't like in the car, and many cars nowadays have piped in sound to compensate for the fact that a few cylinders and turbo are a good efficiency choice but sound naff.

I don't like that concept at all, fake noise yuk, and one of the great things about the Taycan was it ticked all the boxes for space and was superbly quiet but had the throttle response of the Ferrari in the optimum gear.

So I was as supremely unimpressed by the fake Taycan noise as all the other fake noises in modern cars so was delighted it was a cost option I could economise on :)
I hear you ?

I don’t turn it on either when I’m cruising on the motorway with the family…

But when setting the Taycan free on an empty mountain road it definitely adds to the atmosphere and the experience. I would probably turn it up if I could!

TycanNewHampshire

First Name
TG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tycan 4S
Country flag
so, my $0.02 since there are so many replies...
I don't have it on my Taycan, but got it on the loaner when I had the WMA update performed.

I personally don't mind the sound and thought it was sort of cool.

However, on the other side of the coin, I think I get more looks around the neighborhoods when people are walking and they 'don't hear' me go by...I think they are stunned that it is only making the sound of the rubber hitting the road.

I also am a big music lover and like my hard-ish rock :rock:, but lately with the fall weather, I have been finding myself running it with all the windows down (still wish it had an option for a moon-roof) and blissfully enjoying the peace and quiet of the road!

In fact, I try to distance myself from other cars now and actually find it annoying how loud other cars are on the road...especially the highway, those diesel trucks with their spooling turbos and plumes of black exhaust and semi's with engine brake are my two biggest pet peeves right now.

Those and the one Ferrari with highly modified exhaust, or straight pipes/glass-packs that went by me the other day and popped it in neutral and did two quick red lines as he passed me.
I was not expecting it and think I need to get formally checked for PTSD as I literally trembled, shaking as my dead-pedal foot shook and felt like I was in a haunted house and just got a thrill (in an annoying way) :surprised: :swear: .

After going from the Panamera GTS and always clicking the 'sport exhaust' button, I can now say I am a 'changed-man' :like:

OP
OP

RobbieRed

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan cross tourismo
Country flag
Thanks for all the replies! Seems the world is divided into those that love it and those that don’t care for it!
Still wish I’d not forgotten to spec it, but definitely not as pished as I was given the number of people who were like me initially and then used it less and less

my cars built now btw, on its way to the U.K. apparently, 2 weeks and counting!

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
um honstly - unless you’re being sarcastic - the sports sound will NOT be missed.
Amen to this. I have it because it was part of a package but I leave it OFF 100% of the time.

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Previously: 914, 944 and 997 911S. Now Taycan
Country flag
Thanks for all the replies! Seems the world is divided into those that love it and those that don’t care for it!
Still wish I’d not forgotten to spec it, but definitely not as pished as I was given the number of people who were like me initially and then used it less and less

my cars built now btw, on its way to the U.K. apparently, 2 weeks and counting!
All due respect, this is not division that comes close to 1:1 if you are truly keeping score. I sold my 911S recently and yes, I'll miss the growl of the engine, but not enough so that I'd pay for fake noise to replace it. Like most things, its time to move on, and I've embraced the EV movement so much that I've also bought an electric motorcycle. Looking forward to my quietly modest but significantly powered Taycan's arrival later this year.
Sponsored