Discoloration of plastic moulding - are other owners seeing this?

satchurator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 CT4
Country flag
@4thPcar Not faulting you in any way, was reacting to others chiming in with suggestions for Armorall alternatives, Ceramic etc.

There are yet other explanations besides your own actions - if the car has been in for service and something happened then, or in a parking lot, perhaps a child interacted with your unattended car.

FWIW I have experienced some mystery oxidation on the plastic trim on the normally unexposed inner trim on the of my front doors. It’s not visible normally so I haven’t pursued diagnosing or fixing, but it seems to have been caused by some cleaning product that was left on.

If you take your car to a detailer, and they can’t discern what it is, they most likely will approach it with a very gentle abrasive - trying not to sheen the matte plastic, but abrading enough to remove the white stuff.

Good luck!
Sponsored

800v

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
On another older car, i had great success with Maguier's ultimate black plastic restorer; that plastic was faded due to UV exposure and the ultimate black worked liked magic; it looked great again. You may want to try on a little spot first and see. Just my 2c :)

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
Honestly, the easiest way to deal with this is to take it to the best professional detailer in your area. They see this crap all of the time. I'm sure it would be no problem for them to fix this. Just have your car detailed, point that out (or not), and it will be gone by the time you get the car back.

tomahawkBE

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 Cross Turismo
Country flag
Interesting question/post. 2 months in sounds like something else happened but I do expect this to happen after a long period of time with black plastic trim. With that I mean after numerous years, it's not going to look as black anymore. I was already anticipating that I'll have the treat those parts on my upcoming (still not there yet, so frustrating) Taycan 4 CT with a product over time. That or replace the parts with an alternative (painted arches from a turbo, carbon pieces, ...). I'm currently driving a X5 45e and some of the black plastic inserts are already showing after 3 years.

darth_maul_80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4 , Taycan GTS
Country flag
To me it looks like some sort of polish may have touched it and then once it is exposed to elements turned white

when I had my first cayenne it had plastic wheel arches and I accidentally managed to get some detailing polish onto it. Couldn’t get rid of the marks for ages until I found a cheap method that worked very well on a different forum

Staedler rubber

rub it with that and hopefully it will remove it with much not much effort.

other option is as others said take it to your detailed to fix

Mathys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 X3 30e
Country flag
Looks like some aggressive/incorrect cleaning liquid touched these parts, perhaps when getting the ppf applied?
Should be restorable with proper products.

Sushivore

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I am seeing a similar white clouding in roughly the same location. Not quite as bad, and only in one area. I may try to use one of the methods suggested in this forum to see if it helps.

OP
OP
4thPcar

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Previously: 914, 944 and 997 911S. Now Taycan
Country flag
I am seeing a similar white clouding in roughly the same location. Not quite as bad, and only in one area. I may try to use one of the methods suggested in this forum to see if it helps.
Finally an owner that "resembles my remark!" - thanks

Squiden

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
To me it looks like some sort of polish may have touched it and then once it is exposed to elements turned white

when I had my first cayenne it had plastic wheel arches and I accidentally managed to get some detailing polish onto it. Couldn’t get rid of the marks for ages until I found a cheap method that worked very well on a different forum

Staedler rubber

rub it with that and hopefully it will remove it with much not much effort.

other option is as others said take it to your detailed to fix
I was about to suggest the same thing - I had a small drop of sealant land on my rear trim in almost that exact same spot- it's amazing how well something like wax or sealant can stick to those black areas!.
Sponsored