wemct

Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S, Aston Martin DB11 (V12), Maserati Levante S GranSport, Porsche Boxster S
Country flag
This is undoubtedly true about the dealer/car. Thank you for the reference, so just a follow-up question though . . . I don't see how to actually set the maximum charge? In the general charging profile it only has a minimum. Does it default to the 85%? And if so, how do you override it to 100% for a road trip?
The best way to set a maximum charge percentage is to set up a Timer profile. On those occasions that you need to get to 100%, you can disable all profiles and plug into the AC home charger. Fyi, DC charging automatically bypasses your charging profiles and will continue to charge until you stop or it reaches 100%.

See this link for more information to set up a Max charge percentage using a Timer profile (start on post #17).
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/taycan-charges-to-100-despite-profile.1242/page-2

wemct

Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S, Aston Martin DB11 (V12), Maserati Levante S GranSport, Porsche Boxster S
Country flag
This is undoubtedly true about the dealer/car. Thank you for the reference, so just a follow-up question though . . . I don't see how to actually set the maximum charge? In the general charging profile it only has a minimum. Does it default to the 85%? And if so, how do you override it to 100% for a road trip?
You can also look at this link (post #73) to set up a TImer profile.
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/setting-up-for-charging-in-garage.826/page-5#post-17579

TriTaycan

First Name
Eric
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Great, thank you! Seems clear enough now. Not as simple as it should be IMO, but sounds like if you just setup a single timer one time it'll work fine. If they really want you to not charge over 85% for daily driving they should make it more straightforward and just have you set the maximum charge. I don't have any need/desire to do anything other than just plug in the charger when the car needs charging. I doubt my use case is that rare.

Miwa

Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Macan GTS, Taycan Turbo (Nov.'20 delivery)
Country flag
What is this 80% recommended maximum charge thing? No one at the dealership said anything to me about this, couldn't find it referenced in the Good to Know. I've also seen people here allude to it, but don't see an obvious way to limit charging to 80% (or any other number) . . . feels like when I plug it in it's just going to charge to 100% (I've only had the car a few days and only plugged in the charger to make sure it works). My understanding is 100% is really only 90% anyway, as they limited battery charge to ensure battery life in a non-overrideable fashion.
In range threads, also be aware that talking about charging to 80% is a time thing. It takes longer to go from 80% to 100% than it does to go from 20% to 80%. Others answered the max charge reasons. Given the warranty and the battery reserved, I'm not going to worry about it.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt EV, Taycan 4S (Sched Oct)
Country flag
In range threads, also be aware that talking about charging to 80% is a time thing. It takes longer to go from 80% to 100% than it does to go from 20% to 80%. Others answered the max charge reasons. Given the warranty and the battery reserved, I'm not going to worry about it.
But just to add that the tapering of the charge issue only really occurs with DCFC, standard AC charging is minimally effected by the state of charge as it's only 9.6kW in USA at 40Amps.