Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
@Damond , please use a better route planner and have a look. You can certainly charge your car to 100% if you take it on a trip directly! Nothing wrong in that. But do not charge your EV to 100% every time and let it just sit there!

If the a better route planner does not give you a satisfactory answer perhaps you should just cancel and ask for your deposit back!
Sponsored

Damond

First Name
Damond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 911 Cabriolet (991.2)
Country flag
Daveo4EV.
I understand your position as well. I am still in a position of being able to wait. I still have my 2017 911 for the long distance trips, and my 2013 Boxster as my daily driver. Also, the pandemic has delayed the production of the all aluminum roof Taycan 4S I prefer, and it will take awhile for the charging station infrastructure to improve. Hopefully, so will the Taycan. The trips to Las Vegas are more than 2-3 times a year, and the Taycan would be my long distance "touring car". So it wouldn't be an infrequent "inconvenience." I was just hoping to have a "real world" road test prove that my 183-mile range estimate wasn't this low, and provide the push for me to order:cool:.
Enjoy & Stay Safe
Damond

Last edited:

Damond

First Name
Damond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Scandinavian,
The issue I have with the PRI-D estimator is that it appears to not take into account the many other factors that are associated with a specific trip and range. I have asked the 3 Porsche dealerships in the Tucson/Phoenix area to even do a simple test with the Taycan on-board Charge Planner, and optional Porsche Range Intelligence Manager (PRIM) to see what this combination comes up with on planning a trip from Tucson or Phoenix to Las Vegas. I have been told that they take into account terrain, highway speed limits, and the location of 50kW or better charging stations. Course there is always the GIGO factor (Garbage In Garbage Out). Again, a real world road test would see what the range is actually.
Thanks for the feedback.
Damond

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Taycan on-board Charge Planner, and optional Porsche Range Intelligence Manager (PRIM) Again, a real world road test would see what the range is actually.
Thanks for the feedback.
Damond
The PIRM is pretty terrible and worse than what you can figure out yourself.

Stopping in Flagstaff or Blythe will get you to Vegas. Flagstaff is faster but riskier, Blythe is a sure thing but slower.

You should hypermile to be safe (range mode no faster than 65 mph, AC on but in Eco) but you'll have no problem.

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
I drove at and above the speed limit yesterday. But the speed limits were 40-55 mph.

Today, this is what my car is telling me: 280 miles of range :cool:

Porsche Taycan Distance & Range Anxiety - How Far Have You Gone 4D76D6D1-563E-4DCA-8B3C-41F78DF81700

Damond

First Name
Damond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
All,
Everything I have researched confirms that speed kills range! I have no argument with that, and that EV drivers need to take that into account when driving long distances (normally over 200 miles) between charging stations.

Daveo4EV, has done an excellent job of laying out what an EV driver needs to do when range can be an issue. And I agree with his suggestions if I want to get there from here and eliminate EV range anxiety caused by the scarcity of working charging stations or the range of the EV or both.

HOWEVER, I, personally, can't see driving a Porsche at even 65 mph (105 km/h) when the posted speed limit is 75 mph (121 km/h) and the traffic is going 80-85 mph (129-137 km/h). I don't see the reason for having a Porsche if that's the only way I could drive long trips on the Interstates and highways here in the desert Southwest. I should then buy a Tesla, or Chevy Bolt or Nissan Leaf.

Also, the AZ Highway Patrol Person who told me about the 10 mph (16 km/h) no ticket over rule also mentioned that he can ticket for driving too slow in traffic regardless of the speed; i.e., if everyone is going 75-80 mph (121-129 km/h) and you are going only 55-65 mph (88-105 km/h), the patrol-person can ticket you for obstructing traffic flow.

I reiterate that it is more important to me that I can drive my Porsche the way I think a Porsche should be driven than it is to have to drive an EV the way it has to be driven.

If after all the smoke clears, if no one is able to prove that a Taycan 4S with the 93.4kWh battery, can be driven from Tucson to Las Vegas, under the conditions that could be expected, and in the manner I would like, with a range of 230 miles....I just won't buy the car until it can or With a possibility of never...as someone suggested. I just needed to know the facts about this situation before making a decision.

Which I why I appreciate all the posts to this thread.

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I reiterate that it is more important to me that I can drive my Porsche the way I think a Porsche should be driven than it is to have to drive an EV the way it has to be driven.
Honestly, this really won't work with the Taycan and I don't think it's the car for you. EVs require flexibility for road trips, period, and that simply won't be changing within the next 5 to 10 years.

Road trips in an EV require feeling them out and adjusting, there's no way around that.

Damond

First Name
Damond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Frank,
I don't disagree about the flexibility for those wanting to travel throughout the US in an EV. A viable charging station infrastructure will take time. Wish our Federal Government would do what the German government just did: mandate that ultimately all gas stations also have EV chargers.

HOWEVER, I am in my 70's and my long distance driving desires only deal within the desert Southwest. Beyond that I usually fly. So Tucson to Las Vegas is my only long distance drive. My dance card is full when it comes to west to east driving travels across the US, and even south to north travels. I have driven the full length of all the west to east Interstates, some several times, and most of the south to north ones. Plus the full length of US 66 and things like the Skyline Drive- Blue Ridge Parkway.

The slowing down to make range wouldn't matter so much if the car wasn't a Porsche! and I didn't have to compromise how I feel about what it means to drive a Porsche...The EV part is tantalizing but isn't as important. Guess I want my cake and eat it to! :)

Just some other thoughts:

If someone put in a reliable 50kW charging station in Needles CA, that would solve my 183-mile range problem...I don't think that will take 5-10 years to get one put there though. Both US95 going North & South, and I-40 going east & west pass through Needles. I-40 needs charging stations to support the Flagstaff to Barstow (I-15) drive. A reliable 50kW charger in Kingman would also help on the I-40 route. It wouldn't help the Tucson/Phoenix via Kingman to Las Vegas route for those EV's that have a 200 mile range and want to even do the speed limits. The 205-mile Phoenix to Kingman leg is just like the Blythe to Las Vegas leg.

Don't know exactly what its like in the Seattle area or even driving I-90 toward Spokane, but here in the desert Southwest even the semi trailer trucks do 75-80 mph along the Interstates. Makes it hard to do 65-70 mph. Dangerous at times too.

I noticed that Daveo4EV doesn't mention any issues when driving only 65mph along I-81 from Reno to Salt Lake City. But I can tell you that the 80mph speed limits on I-15 between Cedar City UT to south of Provo UT also makes for some exciting driving among the semi-trailer trucks, like I had to do in a 10 foot long U-Haul truck several years ago when because of the winds we were lucky to make 65mph.

Adds to the challenges for EV drivers who have to drive 65 mph to extend driving range.

Somethings to think about.:oops:

Enjoy and stay safe

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Adds to the challenges for EV drivers who have to drive 65 mph to extend driving range.

Somethings to think about.:oops:
I totally understand. You're in the bad position of a route with only one real option and that puts you in a very bad situation if you run out of battery, which could potentially force you to slow down. In my area, there are lots of options that eliminate my need to hypermile. For example, on I90 to Spokane there are 6 separate 50+ kw charging stops (conveniently each about 30-40 miles apart) and 2 150+ kw charging stops. Plus if I do run out of juice, I'm in the temperate PNW and not the middle of a dessert!

Damond

First Name
Damond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You got it. The more I explored this I found we here in the desert Southwest are in somewhat of a unique situation...we are literally a desert in two ways...climatically and charging infrastructure. I discovered if I were in Southern California or even in Palm Springs/Indio, I would have no problem getting around in any EV.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
@Damond I respect anyone making a well informed decision - and it appears to me your are very well informed! enjoy what ever decision you make!

TriTaycan

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
What is this 80% recommended maximum charge thing? No one at the dealership said anything to me about this, couldn't find it referenced in the Good to Know. I've also seen people here allude to it, but don't see an obvious way to limit charging to 80% (or any other number) . . . feels like when I plug it in it's just going to charge to 100% (I've only had the car a few days and only plugged in the charger to make sure it works). My understanding is 100% is really only 90% anyway, as they limited battery charge to ensure battery life in a non-overrideable fashion.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
What is this 80% recommended maximum charge thing? No one at the dealership said anything to me about this, couldn't find it referenced in the Good to Know. I've also seen people here allude to it, but don't see an obvious way to limit charging to 80% (or any other number) . . . feels like when I plug it in it's just going to charge to 100% (I've only had the car a few days and only plugged in the charger to make sure it works). My understanding is 100% is really only 90% anyway, as they limited battery charge to ensure battery life in a non-overrideable fashion.
Yes 85%isthe recommended daily charge option in the Good to Know app. If the dealer did not know this it is surprising. They are clearly not trained on the car then. It is also stated in the same app that you are fine to charge to 100%for a long journey. And you can easily change the charge level either with a profile or a timer!

Porsche Taycan Distance & Range Anxiety - How Far Have You Gone 46FA53C7-AA69-42E9-949A-83836C32E0CB

TriTaycan

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Yes 85%isthe recommended daily charge option in the Good to Know app. If the dealer did not know this it is surprising. They are clearly not trained on the car then. It is also stated in the same app that you are fine to charge to 100%for a long journey. And you can easily change the charge level either with a profile or a timer!
This is undoubtedly true about the dealer/car. Thank you for the reference, so just a follow-up question though . . . I don't see how to actually set the maximum charge? In the general charging profile it only has a minimum. Does it default to the 85%? And if so, how do you override it to 100% for a road trip?
Sponsored