Ditch the PMCC (for now)?

HelfFL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
As a result of the concerns regarding the Porsche Mobile Charger Connect supply cable heat, is anyone thinking about purchasing a third-party mobile charger to use until Porsche either sorts it out or convinces us that it is safe and within specs? If you are thinking about it, what brand/model are you looking at?

Yes, I have read multiple times @daveo4EV's thread on mobile warriors kit (which is amazing by the way if you haven't read it) and the thread on 3rd party travel EVSE's.

So just wondering what 3rd party mobile chargers you all have bought or are considering. I figured I can use the third-party mobile one as my primary charger for now and then I get comfortable with the PMCC, the mobile one will be the beginning of my mobile warrior kit.
Sponsored

Last edited:

PNWTaycan4S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘91 Polar Silver 964, ‘20 Dolomite Silver Taycan 4S, ‘19 Gravity Blue Nero EV
Country flag
As a result of the concerns regarding the Porsche Mobile Charger Connect supply cable heat, is anyone thinking about purchasing a third-party mobile charger to use until Porsche either sorts it out or convinces us that it is safe and within specs? If you are thinking about it, what brand/model are you looking at?

Yes, I have read multiple times @daveo4EV's thread on mobile warriors kit (which is amazing by the way if you haven't read it) and the thread on 3rd party travel EVSE's.

So just wondering what 3rd party mobile chargers you all have bought or are considering. I figured I can use the third-party mobile one as my primary charger for now and then I get comfortable with the PMCC, the mobile one will be the beginning of my mobile warrior kit.
I have a Tesla mobile charger and Tesla Tap. Tesla Tap allows me to use installed Tesla chargers on the road, except Tesla Super Chargers. Also the Tesla adapter kit for the various plugs. Works like a dream. Good value and very compact.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Tesla, ClipperCreek, Juicebox, ChargePoint

your best choice is probably a ClipperCreek HCS-60 if you can handle adding a 60 amp breaker to your box.

OP
OP
HelfFL

HelfFL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Tesla, ClipperCreek, Juicebox, ChargePoint

your best choice is probably a ClipperCreek HCS-60 if you can handle adding a 60 amp breaker to your box.
Thanks Dave. I have 50 amp breaker, so I guess I'll focus on the ClipperCreek HCS-50 instead. My son is moving close to home though and he has a Model 3, so maybe I'll go the Tesla route since I do already have a TeslaTap. Thanks for the input!

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
you might want to check the wire that was run to your 50 amp breaker - if it's appropriate gauge bumping to 60 amps is just a breaker swap and running the correct wire to the charger :)

but 50 amps is pretty good.

Toby Pennycuff

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911S, Porsche 930, Porsche GT3 Cup, Taycan 4S
Country flag
Dave,

What has been your experience, if any, with the Clipper Creek EVSE? Thinking about the HCS-60.

Toby

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I had a clipperCreek HCS-60 - I replaced it with a Tesla Charger when I got my 2013 Model S P85 - in hind sight that was an unnecessary expenditure.

ClipperCreek is a solid product, well made, reliable, flawless, ugly, highly functional - it would be surprising for anyone to have any problems beyond aesthetics with any ClipperCreek product.

In my opinion ClipperCreek is the gold standard (the 911 if you will) of EVSE's that other EVSE's are benchmarked against.

ClipperCreek does however lack "features" - no wifi, no schedule, no consumption meters, no OTA updates - however I prefer a "stupid" EVSE - all the smarts should be in the car - and the EVSE should be what it's supposed to be - a glorified safety switch to prevent you from electrocuting yourself when you drop the connector in a puddle outside on a rainy day.

I have zero issues recommending ClipperCreek to anyone as a high quality EVSE for your EV charging needs.

The _ONLY_ reason to not purchase a ClipperCreek EVSE is to consider "building" your EV charging equipment and to start with something that can be shared/dynamic load in the future for your eventual multi-EV charging situation.

but a ClipperCreek HCS-60 would be a uber-reliable L2 charger for any commerical/residential needs - and would maximize your charging speed for the current 2020 Taycan in that they can actually charge at 60 amp breaker rates.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm really hoping for an "affordable" residential CCS Fast DC charger - say 80 amp breaker 64 amps charge rate (15 kW) for future overnight residential EV charging - this would "bypass" all the EV's onboard L2 charging limits and could charge your EV as fast as your circuit allows - no more artifical limites - I have an 80 amp EV charger but my Leaf only charges at 16 amps type of crap…

virtually every EV produced today can charge at well above 15 kW via FastDC chargers (50 kW seems to be the lowest table stakes)

so a 15 kW residential fast DC charger (80 amp breaker) would great and could fully charge most any EV's daily usage (20 kWh) it about 1 1/2 hours - that to me would be ideal.

I believe the fly in the ointment is a sufficient market size of CCS EV's that use a common connector - right now Tesla dominates the market in terms of market share, and Tesla's in North America don't use CCS - so the market for a good high-quality residential FastDC charger is minuscule…

if/when Tesla provides CCS compatibility a 60/80 amp residential CCS fast DC charger would be a great choice and make charging your EV nearly painless and would remove a lot of confustion about maximum charge rates.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Toby Pennycuff

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911S, Porsche 930, Porsche GT3 Cup, Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thanks Dave. Would be nice if the DC Fast Charger manufacturers would offer a "home" option that is not as costly. We don't need RFID readers or credit card readers at home. The other thing I find interesting is the surcharge for a single phase setup. Most US houses have single phase service. I would hope that some of these manufacturers will wake up and offer some home versions of a DC fast charger for single phase houses!

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
You don't need to use a Porsche charger. That would be like having to buy your gas from Porsche...

I have a 240V "3-pin" Mustart 40A plug-in charger: Mustart 40A 240V Charger

I also have a Mustart "Mobile" 32A charger which can be connected to EITHER 120V or 240V that I keep in the car with a bunch of adapters: Mustart 32A TravelMaster (120/240V)

Both of these are significantly cheaper than the Porsche solution.

bangersandmash

First Name
bib
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Alpina B3S, Opel Corsa electric
Country flag
Issues or not I have bought another charger thats easier to use, not smart. Just gets the job done.

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Question here - will there be any problems with warrantee claims if you are not using 'official Porsche' charging components??

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
Thoughts on DC fast charging at Home: Our Taycan doesn’t allow for Timers or Profiles for DC charging. So your choice would be: Always go to 100% or Manually unplug.

Of course, the car and charging station communicate the SoC, so the charging station could be in control of your maximum charge. (Read: more software and complexity and cost. So much for simple and cheap)
Sponsored