DIY Wheel Changes | Tool Recommendations?

satchurator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 CT4
Country flag
Hi folks,

I plan to do my own seasonal wheel changes. Any recommendations for:

1) A low profile jack that can handle the Taycan’s weight.

2) A reliable torque wrench.

I could swear I read at least one thread that included some tips but search is failing me now.

Thanks for any tips!
Sponsored

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4, 991.2 GT3
Country flag
For loosening the wheel bolts you will need a breaker bar or ratchet.
Don't use the torque wrench to loosening the bolts.

a 19mm soft socket will help protect the wheels from damage.

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2019 e-Tron, F250 Powerstroke
Country flag
A wheel mounting guide bolt is recommended in the owner's manual. (Porsche calls it a "wheel assembly aid"). After removing a wheel bolt it gets screwed into the empty hole. I've used them for years and they make removing and replacing a wheel much easier. If you have PCCB brakes you should use two to ensure that you don't chip one of those very expensive rotors.

Wheel Mounting Guide Bolt : Suncoast Porsche Parts & Accessories (suncoastparts.com)

Last edited:
OP
OP
satchurator

satchurator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 CT4
Country flag
Great tips, thank you! This other thread is very helpful and quite comprehensive on the procedure. I would really love to get some recommendations on the actual tools. Which jack, jack pads, torque wrench, breaker bar, stands are worth considering?

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You can spend as little or as much as you want on the items you mentioned. I have the tools listed below and, while they aren't the cheapest, they are excellent quality and I've been very happy with them. The OTC jack I have was made in America although I think some OTC jacks are now made in Japan and perhaps elsewhere. Both the Precision wrenches and the Jackpoint stands are made in the USA. The Jackpoint stands in particular are pretty clever. They are designed in such a way that they can be slipped under the jack at the jacking point and the vehicle can then be lowered onto the stand. That way you can use the precise location designed to carry the car's weight rather than having to find somewhere else to place a jack stand because the jack is occupying the recommended lifting point. Given the layout of the underside of the Taycan, and its weight, that could be critical.

Full disclosure; I've not actually lifted the Taycan yet. However, I used these tools regularly on my GT3, which sat even lower than the 4S. While I had to drive the GT3 up on a 2x4 to get clearance for the first lift, the Taycan sits higher and cars with AS have a jack mode so I'm confident they will work when the time comes. The jackstands are rated for 2 tons each and the low-profile floor jack is also rated for 2 tons. Since you won't be lifting the entire weight of the car at once there should be no issues.

Anyway, some options to consider.

OTC 2 Ton Low Profile Aluminum Racing Jack (zips.com)

Precision Instruments C4D600F36H 3/4 DRIVE TORQUE WRENCH WITH RATCHETING BREAKER BAR COMBINAT | Tool Discounter

Home (jackpointjackstands.com)

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
You can spend as little or as much as you want on the items you mentioned. I have the tools listed below and, while they aren't the cheapest, they are excellent quality and I've been very happy with them. The OTC jack I have was made in America although I think some OTC jacks are now made in Japan and perhaps elsewhere. Both the Precision wrenches and the Jackpoint stands are made in the USA. The Jackpoint stands in particular are pretty clever. They are designed in such a way that they can be slipped under the jack at the jacking point and the vehicle can then be lowered onto the stand. That way you can use the precise location designed to carry the car's weight rather than having to find somewhere else to place a jack stand because the jack is occupying the recommended lifting point. Given the layout of the underside of the Taycan, and its weight, that could be critical.

Full disclosure; I've not actually lifted the Taycan yet. However, I used these tools regularly on my GT3, which sat even lower than the 4S. While I had to drive the GT3 up on a 2x4 to get clearance for the first lift, the Taycan sits higher and cars with AS have a jack mode so I'm confident they will work when the time comes. The jackstands are rated for 2 tons each and the low-profile floor jack is also rated for 2 tons. Since you won't be lifting the entire weight of the car at once there should be no issues.

Anyway, some options to consider.

OTC 2 Ton Low Profile Aluminum Racing Jack (zips.com)

Precision Instruments C4D600F36H 3/4 DRIVE TORQUE WRENCH WITH RATCHETING BREAKER BAR COMBINAT | Tool Discounter

Home (jackpointjackstands.com)
These are excellent choices.

Another option that I personally will be adding to my garage is the 6000 ELX Quickjack from Bendpak - already have a 4 poster 2 car lift for storage and flood avoidance (Houston) and this puppy will further protect a third car in a flood emergency (and yes I have spoken at length on this aspect to Bendpak tech support about this unit being safe when temporally submerged (after elevated), base only and not electrical components of course). But if only used for wheel replacement, it allows all 4 to be swapped if necessary at once (e.g. putting winter tire set on etc). Needless to say a different price point :)

https://www.quickjack.com/car-lifts/6000elx/

Last edited:

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Would a 2 ton jack (without jack stands or other lifting assistance) be adequate for basic wheel changes on the Taycan?
Yes a 2 ton hydraulic jack is fine to lift a side at a time. The basic tools you need is a proper socket to fit the wheel lugs, a breaker bar to undo the lugs, and a good torque wrench. Two of these guides are also strongly recommended. It makes it very easy to take off and mount the wheels. You can also get these from your Porsche dealer I think, at least I got some.
https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/99957107430.html

I also would like a Quickjack in the garage but not needed. Just make sure you have a safety set up with some jack stands

OP
OP
satchurator

satchurator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 CT4
Country flag
I recently discovered Sonic Tools via Obsessed Garage. They are a Dutch tool company that recently came to the US market. Here's my pick list for a wheel change setup:

... and since they keep getting recommended, I shall look into getting those JackPoint jack stands!

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Would a 2 ton jack (without jack stands or other lifting assistance) be adequate for basic wheel changes on the Taycan?
Yes. You're only lifting, at most, half of the Taycan's 2 1/2 ton weight to change a single wheel so you are well within the capacity of a 2 ton jack. If you're not using jack stands do observe the usual safety caveats about not getting yourself under the car, setting the parking brake, etc. Also, it's best to loosen the wheel bolts just a little before lifting the car all the way off the ground.
Sponsored

Last edited: