Do I need the onboard 150kW/400V adapter to charge at Tesla Supercharger (when it becomes available)

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan Turbo, Eletre R (on order)
Country flag
sa

saving $460 on a $150k build was never "wise" IMHO and I've been pretty consistent since even before July 2020 (my ownership period) that this option was a "no brainer".
Yes you have Dave. Vindicated.
Sponsored

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Indeed squire. Welcome to the "piss off Tesla owners at SuC" club* 😂

* still own one, so I'm allowed to play myself off against....errr myself 😎
Why? Teslas charge at EA, no rage issues. Apparently (according to a Tesla owner I talked to at EA) I it's cheaper to charge a Tesla at EA than at a Supercharger across the same parking lot.

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Why? Teslas charge at EA, no rage issues. Apparently (according to a Tesla owner I talked to at EA) I it's cheaper to charge a Tesla at EA than at a Supercharger across the same parking lot.
Well it was mildly tongue-in-cheekish [never mind]

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
NOTE: the case for optioning the 400V/150kW charging option for North American Taycan's is no longer theory.

The Tesla Supercharger network factually have some sites that now support CCS charging (and more in the future)- and your Taycan will be limited to 50 kW max charge rate if you do _NOT_ option this $460 factory option.

this is no longer a debate or a theory.

North American Taycan owners can benefit from this charging option when using some Tesla Supercharging sites.

also to date Porsche has been unwilling to retrofit this option after production (they could change that in the future, but as of now I know of no service mechanism to have this retrofited via your friend Porsche Factory Service center)/.

the option is cheap insurance and is likely to be used in your ownership period.
Nice one Dave - that's what we on this sideof the pond were saying 2 years ago.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Well it was mildly tongue-in-cheekish [never mind]
Btw, having been driving Teslas for a decade now, I miss the old days of early adopters, where a visit to a supercharger was a good opportunity to chat with other owners, everyone eager to share and learn, always observing good charging etiquette. Oh, the good old days.

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag
Btw, having been driving Teslas for a decade now, I miss the old days of early adopters, where a visit to a supercharger was a good opportunity to chat with other owners, everyone eager to share and learn, always observing good charging etiquette. Oh, the good old days.

I echo this sentiment. I was one of the few I knew with both a Model X and a Model S in 2017.

Once the Model 3 was launched that world ceased to exist. That and Elon Musk going way off the deep end once COVID started.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
sa

saving $460 on a $150k build was never "wise" IMHO and I've been pretty consistent since even before July 2020 (my ownership period) that this option was a "no brainer".
It should never have been an option imo. Here in Ireland the government public charging company – which has by far the most chargers installed – has an almost exclusively 400V network. And the DC/DC booster was still an option here. The problem is that so many people do not understand these things that they didn't make informed purchasing decisions.

I get why my (beloved) 22 kW AC charger isn't standard – its expensive – but the DC/DC voltage booster should just have been default in all markets.

xyeahtony

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Integra 6MT, 23 CT4S
Country flag
I owned Teslas before they were cool, and it was always fun seeing another one and doing "the wave." Now every asshole and their mom has one and if you try waving to one, they look at you like a freak. But that was always Tesla's goal, to be a mass produced car for everyone, not anything special or exclusive.

It should never have been an option imo. Here in Ireland the government public charging company – which has by far the most chargers installed – has an almost exclusively 400V network. And the DC/DC booster was still an option here. The problem is that so many people do not understand these things that they didn't make informed purchasing decisions.

I get why my (beloved) 22 kW AC charger isn't standard – its expensive – but the DC/DC voltage booster should just have been default in all markets.
That's porsche for you. make everything an option. a $25k Kia will have radar cruise control standard but on a Porsche? $2000!

Last edited:

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
I was also an OG tesla guy and while the camaraderie of the early days was nice and lost when the introduction of model 3 brought many new ev owners into the fold, I'll trade the vast expansion of the charging network and availability for the chit chat while charging at the then limited network.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I was also an OG tesla guy and while the camaraderie of the early days was nice and lost when the introduction of model 3 brought many new ev owners into the fold, I'll trade the vast expansion of the charging network and availability for the chit chat while at the then limited network.
I too applaud the proliferation of EV's. Was mentioning the early adopter environment in the context of charger etiquette and charging experience.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That's porsche for you. make everything an option. a $25k Kia will have radar cruise control standard but on a Porsche? $2000!
Still better than Tesla, where features available on $25K cars are simply unavailable at any price. Radar BSM (blind spot monitoring), ultrasonic parking sensors, Apple CarPlay/Android Auto and 99.9% of the apps that come with them, rain sensor, etc.

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I too applaud the proliferation of EV's. Was mentioning the early adopter environment in the context of charger etiquette and charging experience.
I’m there from the relative early days of 2017, so not as long as you guys but long enough.

The vibe certainly is different, but by way of example I still have a good chat with fellow owners. Last Friday I had just pulled up and the chap next to me asked if I had a compressor/tyre inflator as the one at the Gridserve-hosted SuC site wasn’t working. I wasn’t in a huge rush, so more than happy to lend it to him and we chatted about tyres, Teslas and Taycans whilst the inflator did it’s good deed. Offered me a coffee as a thank you, which was nice.

We still look out for each other 😊