Do I need the onboard 150kW/400V adapter to charge at Tesla Supercharger (when it becomes available)

mcdermottm

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MB EQE SUV 350+, ‘23 Taycan RWD coming soon
Country flag
I’m also finalizing my specs and originally had this on my build. I watched a YT video that suggested adding it because A) it was cheap and B) it helps to future-proof the car. Then I watched and Inside EV’s video with Tom M. from 2021 and he said it was a waste of money because there wasn’t a single 400V charger in the US… or something to that effect. I will likely be charging at home or work with a low probability of long road trips and using DCFCs, at least for a few years. Possibly longer drives to work in the future that would require use of DCFCs - 300 mile round trip with a quick charging session. So the question is, what would I really be missing if I left this off the build?
Sponsored

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
I’m also finalizing my specs and originally had this on my build. I watched a YT video that suggested adding it because A) it was cheap and B) it helps to future-proof the car. Then I watched and Inside EV’s video with Tom M. from 2021 and he said it was a waste of money because there wasn’t a single 400V charger in the US… or something to that effect. I will likely be charging at home or work with a low probability of long road trips and using DCFCs, at least for a few years. Possibly longer drives to work in the future that would require use of DCFCs - 300 mile round trip with a quick charging session. So the question is, what would I really be missing if I left this off the build?
Personally, I would spec it. Of course, keep in mind that I twice paid for Full Self Driving on Teslas so I may be an idiot.

mcdermottm

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I’m kinda leaning that way, mostly because there’s no other option in a similar price range that I’d add Other than colored seat belts. 😆

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Tom M's statement is accurate and inaccurate at the same time - he is correct for CCS stations - but incorrect for the most functional/ubiquitous and reliable FastDC network which is the Tesla Supercharger network…

every single Tesla Supercharger is a 400V FastDC charger - or when it is open to CCS vehicle's it will be.

if you do not spec it you will be limited to charging at 50 kW at all the Tesla Superchargers

if this is your first EV you'll end up using FastDC charging more than you think

what we're talking about here is your time when you stop to charge

what is your time worth

I think $460 is a cheap option to save time - but I could be wrong…

here is all the locations you'll be limited to 50 kW int he future if you do not spec the option.

Porsche Taycan Do I need the onboard 150kW/400V adapter to charge at Tesla Supercharger (when it becomes available) 109F082E-C7CD-43EC-8919-7C222A4555D5

mcdermottm

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Fair enough… I’ll leave it. Thanks.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
(question written by a donut who wasn’t given decent advice on why the 150kw onboard charger was a good idea! And bought the 22kw thingy instead).
Sadly, many Porsche SA's don't understand technical details about Taycans, such as charging. If you want to get answers about any technically complex product, go to the enthusiast forums. SA's will never know as much about the product as the user enthusiasts.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
here is all the locations you'll be limited to 50 kW int he future if you do not spec the option.

109F082E-C7CD-43EC-8919-7C222A4555D5.jpeg
Hmmm... your statement above is based on two assumptions:
  1. You are assuming Tesla will in fact offer an adapter of retrofit all of their locations to include CCS before today's Taycan end-of-life. Unlike some folks, I don't know that this is a given. I see them more building dual stations only where they get subsidies to do so. Even then, I am not sure they are incentivized to match the CCS rate to their Tesla DC charging rate. Wouldn't be the first time Tesla does something just to satisfy subsidy/grant requirements - remember the Tesla Battery Swap project - faster than an ICE fill-up? They built exactly one station, which qualified them for the grant. Got some great PR out of it too.
  2. You are assuming the map above does not change by the time Tesla opens up the Superchargers to CCS (since you said here are "ALL" locations). :p

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
Sadly, many Porsche SA's don't understand technical details about Taycans, such as charging. If you want to get answers about any technically complex product, go to the enthusiast forums. SA's will never know as much about the product as the user enthusiasts.
Yeh, but I’m a donut and didn’t even occur to me there was one!

certainly no mention at the time of 400/800v issue or anything like that. Suspect probably wouldn’t be if I went in now for one!

Think I was much more focused on stuff like whether or not to spec the electric charger doors!

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yeh, but I’m a donut and didn’t even occur to me there was one!

certainly no mention at the time of 400/800v issue or anything like that. Suspect probably wouldn’t be if I went in now for one!

Think I was much more focused on stuff like whether or not to spec the electric charger doors!
I had the "benefit" of waiting over a year for an allocation. It gave me plenty of time to read the forums and learn about the Taycan (though I probably go much deeper with learning than most owners do). My first SA was just as uninformed about the 400V option. Porsche should do a better job training SA's selling Taycans.

PS> Most confusing option - "Off Road Design Package".

Last edited:

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Does anyone know if the Osprey 150kw EVSEs are 800 or 400v?
Same question for MFGs 150kw EVSEs?

(question written by a donut who wasn’t given decent advice on why the 150kw onboard charger was a good idea! And bought the 22kw thingy instead).
Highly likely to be 400v - 800v needed for the 350kW EVSEs.

Try one and see what kW you pull.

Knowing the voltage is not something you need to consider - you'll either max out at around 50 kW or higher if the voltage matches the capability of the car.

I know it doesn't help now but the decision to include the 150kW DC booster (it's not a charger) would have been a no brainer given the low cost. Typifies dealer ignorance and lack of training to be in a position to know the market and product they are selling.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Tesla Superchargers are 400v (legacy). These are opening up for non Tesla owners globally. This has been in play since early 2021.

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
As
Highly likely to be 400v - 800v needed for the 350kW EVSEs.

Try one and see what kW you pull.

Knowing the voltage is not something you need to consider - you'll either max out at around 50 kW or higher if the voltage matches the capability of the car.

I know it doesn't help now but the decision to include the 150kW DC booster (it's not a charger) would have been a no brainer given the low cost. Typifies dealer ignorance and lack of training to be in a position to know the market and product they are selling.
Thanks. Was really wondering which one to head for on a trip! But as you say, probably the same thing.

Annoying, but 1st time I’ll be charging away from home (not using IONITY) in 6 months, so first world problem I guess.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
As

Thanks. Was really wondering which one to head for on a trip! But as you say, probably the same thing.

Annoying, but 1st time I’ll be charging away from home (not using IONITY) in 6 months, so first world problem I guess.
Just find a DC EVSE, connect and forget!

OP
OP

Pvande10

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X P100D Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
I would put it on. One never knows when you need it. And I think it will help resale value. I personally won’t buy a new car or used one without the option as I travel a lot. I have driven 7+ years and 160k miles all electric and generally believe the more options the better. Especially for so little money.

Bulldog9

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Mustang Bullitt, 1976 912E
Country flag
Am I reading this to understand that the Taycan will be able to charge on the Tesla network with an adapter? This is a game changer for charging and eliminates my main concern (other than longevity and reliability)
Sponsored