Do I need the onboard 150kW/400V adapter to charge at Tesla Supercharger (when it becomes available)

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Am I reading this to understand that the Taycan will be able to charge on the Tesla network with an adapter? This is a game changer for charging and eliminates my main concern (other than longevity and reliability)
some day - superchargers are already available to non-Tesla owners in europe are already enjoy'ing this access since they do not need a physical adapter.

we can hope the supercharger network is open in North American between now and end of 2023 - but honestly no schedule has been announced - 4 major supercharger sites (>50 stalls each) have been permitted in CA w/govt. funds - the govt. funds require at least 50% stall access to "all EV's"

this ability should come some day, but that day is not today or and it looks like we'll finish 2022 with no access - so 2023 is the earliest…
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
some day - superchargers are already available to non-Tesla owners in europe are already enjoy'ing this access since they do not need a physical adapter.

we can hope the supercharger network is open in North American between now and end of 2023 - but honestly no schedule has been announced - 4 major supercharger sites (>50 stalls each) have been permitted in CA w/govt. funds - the govt. funds require at least 50% stall access to "all EV's"

this ability should come some day, but that day is not today or and it looks like we'll finish 2022 with no access - so 2023 is the earliest…
Not all of Tesla has been opened up - only 3 in Scotland for example but as they say "every little helps".

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan Turbo, Eletre R (on order)
Country flag
Not all of Tesla has been opened up - only 3 in Scotland for example but as they say "every little helps".
15 so far across the UK. More are rumoured (there was an accidental data leak a few weeks ago on Tesla’s charging map…)

Porsche Taycan Do I need the onboard 150kW/400V adapter to charge at Tesla Supercharger (when it becomes available) ABCB1FD5-52EB-4E32-97AC-28909C341FBA

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
15 so far across the UK. More are rumoured (there was an accidental data leak a few weeks ago on Tesla’s charging map…)

ABCB1FD5-52EB-4E32-97AC-28909C341FBA.jpeg
nice update - thanks!!

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
With respect to the North American charging network, no existing Taycan will ever be able to charge at a Tesla supercharger. You have been gamed. Tesla has opened up their charging specifications so you need the correct adaptor which isn't CCS. It's a modified Tesla adaptor. It's about Biden bucks so read the fine print. Taycan would need a new charging port with the proper socket. Quite disappointing.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
With respect to the North American charging network, no existing Taycan will ever be able to charge at a Tesla supercharger. You have been gamed. Tesla has opened up their charging specifications so you need the correct adaptor which isn't CCS. It's a modified Tesla adaptor. It's about Biden bucks so read the fine print. Taycan would need a new charging port with the proper socket. Quite disappointing.
you have no facts regarding this and Tesla already has supercharger sites w/CCS planned and permitted - while I agree it's yet to be proven - you are spouting nonsense and this hasn't played out yet.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
NOTE: the case for optioning the 400V/150kW charging option for North American Taycan's is no longer theory.

The Tesla Supercharger network factually have some sites that now support CCS charging (and more in the future)- and your Taycan will be limited to 50 kW max charge rate if you do _NOT_ option this $460 factory option.

this is no longer a debate or a theory.

North American Taycan owners can benefit from this charging option when using some Tesla Supercharging sites.

also to date Porsche has been unwilling to retrofit this option after production (they could change that in the future, but as of now I know of no service mechanism to have this retrofited via your friend Porsche Factory Service center)/.

the option is cheap insurance and is likely to be used in your ownership period.

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I guess this is just plain wrong in the light of recent events.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I guess this is just plain wrong in the light of recent events.
agreed I charged my 2020 Taycan @ Tesla's supercharger last night in Scott's Valley, CA

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
the option is cheap insurance and is likely to be used in your ownership period.
Hindsight is indeed a wonderful thing.

Many of the posts above advising against the relatively cheap 400V booster option now just look plain silly.

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
agreed I charged my 2020 Taycan @ Tesla's supercharger last night in Scott's Valley, CA
Indeed squire. Welcome to the "piss off Tesla owners at SuC" club* 😂

* still own one, so I'm allowed to play myself off against....errr myself 😎

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
sa
Hindsight is indeed a wonderful thing.

Many of the posts above advising against the relatively cheap 400V booster option now just look plain silly.
saving $460 on a $150k build was never "wise" IMHO and I've been pretty consistent since even before July 2020 (my ownership period) that this option was a "no brainer".

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Indeed squire. Welcome to the "piss off Tesla owners at SuC" club 😂
16 unused stalls well lit and ready for me - no one was there to piss off!!!