Do we need PTV - Porsche Torque Vectoring?

ImThestig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
Is this a "must"? Do we really need it on the Taycan? Isn't it sufficient enough with the electronically elmotors? I can't decide if I should go for it or not? What do you guys think about it?
Sponsored

Fitzban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Is this a "must"? Do we really need it on the Taycan? Isn't it sufficient enough with the electronically elmotors? I can't decide if I should go for it or not? What do you guys think about it?
If you plan to take the car to the track, then I think PTV is valuable. As a DD, I personally will be saving the money.

dryii

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2015 Porsche Macan Turbo
Country flag
We have it on our Macan Turbo and I can tell a difference when driving a loaner Macan whenever ours is in the shop. Even driving through a parking lot it feels more crisp to me.
"At low and medium vehicle speeds, PTV significantly increases agility and steering precision. At high speeds and under acceleration out of corners, the mechanically controlled rear differential lock also acts to provide greater driving stability and traction."

I recommend PTV and added it to my build.

Lansford

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Ay
We have it on our Macan Turbo and I can tell a difference when driving a loaner Macan whenever ours is in the shop. Even driving through a parking lot it feels more crisp to me.
"At low and medium vehicle speeds, PTV significantly increases agility and steering precision. At high speeds and under acceleration out of corners, the mechanically controlled rear differential lock also acts to provide greater driving stability and traction."

I recommend PTV and added it to my build.
Any other opinions on this for Daily Driver use?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Not a must but good to have on most models. Improves traction and therefore a bonus in slippery wintery conditions.

More useful than some other 'gadget' options such as HUD.

Not a tracking option specifically (PDCC would be).

Standard on the GTS.

RAS and PTV+ would be a great day to day usable combination IMHO.

_Brian_

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boxster GTS 4.0, Audi S5 & Taycan 4s (sold)
Country flag
Torque vectoring is the modern limited slip differential replacement and I would always choose it myself on a powerful car.
This has become interesting discussion thread for me but in the context traction on snow covered roads.

When I owned a 4 wheel drive pick-up many years ago without a limited slip differential, it was essentially a 2 wheel drive car on slick surfaces (one wheel in the front and one wheel in the back). Is this a similar case for a Taycan that doesn't a have PTV? I assumed with today's advanced drive trains, power was transferred from a slipping wheel to the other side of the car.

So, does this mean that s Taycan 4S is, in reality, a 2 wheel drive?

Thanks

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
This has become interesting discussion thread for me but in the context traction on snow covered roads.

When I owned a 4 wheel drive pick-up many years ago without a limited slip differential, it was essentially a 2 wheel drive car on slick surfaces (one wheel in the front and one wheel in the back). Is this a similar case for a Taycan that doesn't a have PTV? I assumed with today's advanced drive trains, power was transferred from a slipping wheel to the other side of the car.

Thanks
It depends entirely on the drivetrain design.

Some modern drivetrains modulate a brake on a spinning wheel to transfer some torque to the other wheel but not all do.

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
After reading about this it sounds like it is a pure electronic feature without different hardware. Would be nice if they offered it as a function on demand like active lane keeping and pdls plus for the base head light.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag

Thanks
The Taycans with dual motors are not 4WD in the true sense as you'd expect on a Jeep, Land rover etc but are All Wheel Drive AWD both axles (front and rear) are driven. Power is then distributed variably.front and rear depending on drive mode and conditions underfoot. Add to this an electronic LSD (PTV+) you then have pretty much all eventualities covered for a road car.

Tick the box.

Reactions: B61

scav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo (2022)
Country flag
PVT+ to me, sounds like a feature a sports car should have included.

My sales person recommended I did but option it unless I was planning on tracking the car, and he knew I was going to be driving a lot on snowy and icy roads. Car behaves just as I would expect on winter roads (coming from Volvos and Mercedes). Yet to let me down.

gnop1950

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag
It is part of the performance package, it's a Porsche, so I checked the performance package :cool: PVT+ sounds good in theory, I'm still waiting for my car to arrive. I don't think any of the options are necessary, but I was operating using the "no regrets" methodology so there isn't much/anything I left off that I might regret not getting later.

vaelin

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, 991.2 GT3 RS, G550, EQS580+
Country flag
It contributes to making things less of a handful when driving remotely close to limits.. even on the street when you've got to make emergency maneuvers. Having had relatively high-power vehicles without even a mechanical LSD in the past, I can't imagine not having this checked in a vehicle with this much torque/hp.

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag
Since this conversation has expanded to include the Performance Package, my question is does a Cross Turismo 4s really need Torque Vectoring and the Chassis Control Sport? My configuration locks next week, and I have been hemming and hawing over adding the full Performance Package. My initial thought is that my CT4s will be the ultimate road tripping machine, not a beast to take to the track, so why spend the extra money on items that I will never fully take advantage of? On the other hand, based on my current build configuration, it is only an extra $3,500 to add both the Torque Vectoring and Chassis Control.

On a Turbo S sedan meant for the occasional drive, but more for a slalom run, I would certainly spec, but for a CT4s that will be road tripping around the American west, do I really need it?

Thanks for helping thing through this.

Cheers

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
Since this conversation has expanded to include the Performance Package, my question is does a Cross Turismo 4s really need Torque Vectoring and the Chassis Control Sport? My configuration locks next week, and I have been hemming and hawing over adding the full Performance Package. My initial thought is that my CT4s will be the ultimate road tripping machine, not a beast to take to the track, so why spend the extra money on items that I will never fully take advantage of? On the other hand, based on my current build configuration, it is only an extra $3,500 to add both the Torque Vectoring and Chassis Control.

On a Turbo S sedan meant for the occasional drive, but more for a slalom run, I would certainly spec, but for a CT4s that will be road tripping around the American west, do I really need it?

Thanks for helping thing through this.

Cheers
I spec’d the perf package….even though I dont think its a need. I doubt that PTV and PDCC will be noticeable during normal commuting. I ordered anyway for the 5-10% of the time that I want to push through a sweeping bend. Doesn’t make good financial sense….if I was going for value for $, I would go with another brand. Bottom line is that I firmly believe that a base 4S (of any model Porsche) will make for an excellent all around drive.
Sponsored