WalterG

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4S
Country flag
Reaching out to the collective wisdom here...

What's the thinking on whether to charge each night or charge less frequently? I drive maybe 20 miles a day, so is it better for the life of the battery (ie to maintain a higher capacity for longer) to either:
1. Charge to 75% which gives me ~200 miles. Then I drive for about 5 days without charging and that drops it to about 38% or 100 miles. Then charge from 38% to 75% and start the cycle all over.
or
2. Charge to 75%. Then plug in each night to recharge the 20 miles driven that day. That basically charges from 68% to 75% each night.

And how about the 12v battery? Do either of these patterns matter for the 12v battery?

During the winter, is #2 better in order to keep the battery warm while plugged in?
Sponsored

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I do not think it matters one way or the other. The main thing here is that you have set the charge level at 75%. With the mileage you will be doing in a year you might not see any detoriation after several years one way or the other.

For winter periods I would definitely plug in on a daily basis and set a precondition time for when you will leave. From reading the Porsche description for the battery, it will be heated when plugged in. You will also have a nice warm car when leaving.

Enjoy your 4S!