Do you lose battery % overnight?

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list. Includes a MY23 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Hi

Never saw this commented on the forum (and I've been a pretty avid reader in the last months while waiting for the car).

Basically, what happens is that I never have the same battery level between when I go to sleep and when I wake up the next day.

Assuming my wife isn't taking the car out during the night to go party, it's probably battery temperature related but wanted to confirm it.

For example, yesterday evening I parked the car with 88% charge while the battery temperature was 32C

This morning, when I entered the car, I had 85% while the battery temperature was 20C

It's always 1-3%

Do you experience the same?
Sponsored

Hanny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S Carmine Red
Country flag
……. As long as you keep the car upright on the flat and not on a slope, the charge should not seep out…… sorry couldn’t resist.

Back to the question in hand, my experience is based on my Tesla ownership and thus can only be a ‘generalisation’ but relevant to most EV’s - the loses, if any depends on a multitude of things, the following are possibles:
  • Alarm on
  • Ambient temperature
  • pre-heat (batteries)
  • over the air software updates
  • some reports of EV waking up if you remotely access EV via app to check temps, or state of charge etc.

2P168S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
I don't lose any charge when the car sits unused, in either my current Taycan or my previous i3. I know Tesla's experience these phantom drains, but those cars also do much more when parked (sentry mode, etc)

OP
OP
tchavei

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
……. As long as you keep the car upright on the flat and not on a slope, the charge should not seep out…… sorry couldn’t resist.

Back to the question in hand, my experience is based on my Tesla ownership and thus can only be a ‘generalisation’ but relevant to most EV’s - the loses, if any depends on a multitude of things, the following are possibles:
  • Alarm on
  • Ambient temperature
  • pre-heat (batteries)
  • over the air software updates
  • some reports of EV waking up if you remotely access EV via app to check temps, or state of charge etc.
Only thing I can think of is ambient temperature that somehow makes the software re compute the amount of energy available.

I don't lose any charge when the car sits unused, in either my current Taycan or my previous i3. I know Tesla's experience these phantom drains, but those cars also do much more when parked (sentry mode, etc)
I highly doubt there's a phantom drain to be honest. 3% of a 83Kwh battery (useable) would be 2.5Kwh. That's more than what my wash machine uses and I'm definitely not washing clothes in the Taycan.

There's also nothing extra connected (well now there is but this happened before and it should affect the 12V battery, not the main one) and the car is shut down with the button.

Surprised nobody noticed anything similar. It only happens the first night though. Last week when I didn't touch the car for 3 days, it only lost 2% during the first night. Kept the same SoC throughout the following two days.

OP
OP
tchavei

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
1-3%, check to see if you have a timer set for preconditioning which can use up that amount of chargge.

I lose 1% every two days.
I disabled pre conditioning on unlock (was irritating me) and have no timer set for pre conditioning. I don't have the car plugged to a charger.

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2019 e-Tron, F250 Powerstroke
Country flag
I've not had the kind of loss you refer to.

For example, I last charged my 4S to 80% about 10 days ago. For various reasons, I've not had an opportunity to drive it since then. I just went out and checked the battery level and it's at...80%.

We also have an Audi e-Tron SUV. It gets driven more frequently, but I haven't noticed the kind of overnight loss in charge you're describing. Absent some of the factors mentioned in posts above, routinely losing up to 3% every day seems unusual based on my experience.

OP
OP
tchavei

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I've not had the kind of loss you refer to.

For example, I last charged my 4S to 80% about 10 days ago. For various reasons, I've not had an opportunity to drive it since then. I just went out and checked the battery level and it's at...80%.

We also have an Audi e-Tron SUV. It gets driven more frequently, but I haven't noticed the kind of overnight loss in charge you're describing. Absent some of the factors mentioned in posts above, routinely losing up to 3% every day seems unusual based on my experience.
I don't think it's every day. Just the first night while the battery cools down from using it throughout the day.

Let's do this for science:

20:30, I'm going to use the car in 12h only

Porsche Taycan Do you lose battery % overnight? Screenshot_2023-05-25-20-29-26-56_842b4389820829b7900b72d042499707

Let's see tomorrow morning.

mcdermottm

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MB EQE SUV 350+, ‘23 Taycan RWD coming soon
Country flag
I've left my car at the airport for 3-4 days at a time several times and haven't lost anything over those 3-4 days. I'm in FL, though, so if temps have something to do with it, it won't be a factor here.

OP
OP
tchavei

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Maybe that's why cars are having a stop sale now while mine slipped through 24h earlier 🤣

REIL

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+ / MY20
Country flag
Hi

Never saw this commented on the forum (and I've been a pretty avid reader in the last months while waiting for the car).

Basically, what happens is that I never have the same battery level between when I go to sleep and when I wake up the next day.

Assuming my wife isn't taking the car out during the night to go party, it's probably battery temperature related but wanted to confirm it.

For example, yesterday evening I parked the car with 88% charge while the battery temperature was 32C

This morning, when I entered the car, I had 85% while the battery temperature was 20C

It's always 1-3%

Do you experience the same?
Never had any decrease even after weeks not driving vehicle. Current daily temperatures for me between 13° C (57°F) to 27° C (79°F).
Sharing image of battery and range from today. Held same charge for past three days since charging. Had not driven for 3 days.

Porsche Taycan Do you lose battery % overnight? IMG_3779

OP
OP
tchavei

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I bet it will be same tomorrow morning just to make it look like I'm imagining things

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I disabled pre conditioning on unlock (was irritating me) and have no timer set for pre conditioning. I don't have the car plugged to a charger.
You do not have to have the car Connected to a charger, to use preconditioning. But you state that you have no timer set. So unlikely in such case.

I have seen one % points difference if the temperature differs during night and day. But not at the temperatures you have stated. Mine happened from say 10 degrees to o degrees.

Speuk

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT 4S in Dolomite Silver
Country flag
1-3%, check to see if you have a timer set for preconditioning which can use up that amount of chargge.

I lose 1% every two days.
Yep me too, about 1% every 2 or 3 days but I do check the App to see if LTE connectivity is still ok plus OVO Charge Anytime Kaluza software talks to the car to check soc plus I often need to unlock it to get something out of it so headlights on for a very short while....

Tomato

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4
Country flag
I was getting that too. Are you using the Porsche App widget on your phone? It pings the car so often that my dashcam is constantly recording. I removed the widget and it doesn't seem to drop % overnight anymore.
Sponsored