Do you think it’s hard to get in and out of your Taycan?

MWarsaw

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Have you noticed that the B pillar is further forward than in most other cars? When your sitting in the car, the B pillar is almost in front of your hip. Because of that, it’s harder to drop into the car or get out of it. It’s not terrible, but it is more difficult.
Just curious if anyone else noticed this? Why do you think it’s more forward than other cars?
Sponsored

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I actually like the B pillar where it is. To get out, rather than grabbing the sill, I just brace my elbow against the pillar and stand up. For persons north of 70, low slung cars require two things which are in declining supply, flexibility and leg strength.

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
Totally agree with @JimBob. I used the B pillar for leverage to get out when I pulled a hamstring. My guess, however, is that @MWarsaw is a lot taller than us. The basic reason, I believe, for the forward positioning of the B pillar is the very sloping design of the rear roof. Open the rear door, and try to get in not using two inches of the roof, and imagine the rear door was two inches shorter. Doesn’t really work unless ur shorter than 4 ft tall.

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
I actually use the B pillar as support of my back and shoulder to slide in and out of the driver's seat. Quite comfortable actually, although it may depend on one's size (length and width :) ).

Icyfraser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 2WD
Country flag
Have you noticed that the B pillar is further forward than in most other cars? When your sitting in the car, the B pillar is almost in front of your hip. Because of that, it’s harder to drop into the car or get out of it. It’s not terrible, but it is more difficult.
Just curious if anyone else noticed this? Why do you think it’s more forward than other cars?
I get in backwards! Easy that way and no strain! I came from a jaguar F Type and that was even more tricky!

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
I had more issues hitting the B pillar in my model 3, to the point where I popped the plastic cover off and tesla had to come and install new clips. I push myself out of the car, there is a grab handle that you can use.

Skier

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
On a slightly related note, I’ve always had the theory that you can judge someone’s age by the volume and length of the grunts they make when trying to get in and out of sports cars.
oops, grunt, grunt....

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
I never noticed any issues, but all I have to compare is the test drive and checking the car at delivery.

I’ll also say I used to have an Elise I didn’t think was a problem getting in or out of, so my ingress/egress difficultly bar is pretty high.

OP
OP
MWarsaw

MWarsaw

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Very strange situation for me. I test drove the 4S back in March and found no issue getting in or out. In fact, I was pleasantly surprised. When I took delivery of my RWD on Thursday, it was a completely different experience. I found it almost as difficult to enter and exit as my GT3 (with race seats). I also use the B pillar for leverage. I will have to figure it out, but can't believe I didn't notice it during the test drive.
I think the comfort access actually makes it harder to get out and maybe to get in. It automatically moves the seat back and even more in front of the b pillar making you have to twist more to get out. Also, the steering wheel location can make a difference in how easy or hard it is.
by the way, I’m 6’1” .That also plays a role I guess. I like the tip of using your elbow as leverage. I’ll try it!

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
Very strange situation for me. I test drove the 4S back in March and found no issue getting in or out. In fact, I was pleasantly surprised. When I took delivery of my RWD on Thursday, it was a completely different experience. I found it almost as difficult to enter and exit as my GT3 (with race seats). I also use the B pillar for leverage. I will have to figure it out, but can't believe I didn't notice it during the test drive.
Different seats?

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I have a left hip issue and ingress/egress is a big concern for me on this car. I spent a fair amount of time just getting in and out repeatedly until I felt confident I could live with it. Hoping I can (coming from 2 door life in a Targa)
Sponsored