Do you think it’s hard to get in and out of your Taycan?

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
My driver's side B pillar has several light scratches which indicates my pants rub in the way in and out.
Comparing to the Macan loaner, yes it is harder to get in and out but not too bad in general at least for me.
Sponsored

Neptune

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Yes, but having the b-pillar aligned with you body is good for side impact protection.

faroutinNM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Taycan Turbo, '05 MINI Cooper S
Country flag
I actually spent a lot of time working with this on showroom models, during many visits before ordering and while waiting for delivery. I am 70 inches (5' 10'') in height, 142 pounds and 67 years old, with average upper body strength, maybe very slightly above average leg and core strength.

The entry form I prefer is: right foot in and step on floor pan (near the forward edge, the floor area between the deadpedal and brake), pivot left and place right hand on steering wheel, then bend and move (as others have said) butt-first through the middle of the door opening and ease down to the seat (steady with legs, right arm and core muscles to prevent slamming down hard), aiming far enough forward and inboard to avoid bumping the pillar or crushing the seat bolster, slide back in seat while rotating forward, observe the left foot while lifting it carefully in through the opening without scuffing the door or doorsill, close the door and settle into your driving posture as the Easy Entry disengages and allows the seat and steering wheel to return to their last-used positions. Push and hold the appropriate memory number button at the desired part of the sequence, if needed. Obviously, reverse "left"/"right" for the case of right hand drive. For me, it's a natural flow-in, leading with the inboard foot and butt, aiming through the opening down to the entry-appropriate seat area, and bringing the outboard foot in with care, closing the door and settling fully into driving posture. It always feels so good to get into my Taycan Turbo!

The egress I prefer is pretty much the reverse. At first, I thought it would work better starting from my driving position, but discovered that the Easy Entry position (seat to aft and steering wheel up) usually works best, so I have that feature activated in my settings. For egress on some terrain, it's better to first Park and open the door, skipping the shutdown via Power button and thereby leaving the seat in driving position (hit the remote's lock button or the door handle to end operational readiness after egress). So, the egress sequence: Move butt slightly forward in seat, left foot up-out-down and planted to the ground outboard from the doorsill, right hand on steering wheel, slide and plant inboard foot slightly outboard in foot well while pivoting left, bend at the waist and move head and shoulders out-up, steadying with legs and right arm (three points, no?), straighten upright while carefully extracting the right foot, and voila! I'm standing next to my beautiful wonder-car, stretching my road-weary legs (haha, threw in some drama there).

It sounds complicated, but for me these movements were immediately natural, quickly becoming automatic and muscle-memorized during my showroom trial-and-error sessions.

Everyone's different. If you want something that might work better, please try this and let me know how it works for you.

I hate shoe scuffs on the black lower door interior or side skirt, around the door frame, and the sides of the foot well, too. It takes a little effort and attention to avoid that, but my driver side has stayed pristine so far. The plastic on the passenger side has had a few dusty shoeprints, but a damp cloth has easily restored it to like-new.

Last edited:

Socks

First Name
Candi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4s
Country flag
I actually like the B pillar where it is. To get out, rather than grabbing the sill, I just brace my elbow against the pillar and stand up. For persons north of 70, low slung cars require two things which are in declining supply, flexibility and leg strength.
I’m over 70..I swing my legs out and then push up…good exercise..lol

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2019 e-Tron, F250 Powerstroke
Country flag
Yes, I do find it considerably more difficult than my previous 911's. Getting in isn't much of a problem as I just sort of fall into the seat, but getting out....

My 2014 GT3 wasn't available with sport buckets so it came with the same 18 way sport seats as the Taycan. To avoid repeated contact with the side bolster I would use my left arm on the door sill to help lever myself up as I climbed out.

The problem with the Taycan is that the door opening isn't as wide as the 911's and because I'm long-legged at 6'2" the seat is all the way back and opposite the B-pillar. I can't get decent leverage on the sill from my seating position so I'm still trying to figure out a reasonably graceful way to exit the car without crushing the bolster every time. On occasion, I've found myself kind of tumbling out the door as I try a different exiting maneuver which I'm sure is incredibly entertaining to bystanders! :CWL:

RBGtaycan

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia EV6; Taycan RWD....Past: 356, Cayman S
Country flag
I find the B pillar a hindrance..it is very far forward. The original Mission E concept was suicide doors which would have avoided the issue. If the car were a 2 door, I think normal access (front only) would be a lot easier. I prefer a 2 door but not a current option!

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
[s] 2021 Taycan AWD [\s] 2022 Rivian R1T
Country flag
I’ll also say I used to have an Elise I didn’t think was a problem getting in or out of, so my ingress/egress difficultly bar is pretty high.
Well if you’ve managed the Elise then I think you must either be made of Jell-O or by now have lost most sensation anyway after feeling every. single. bump. :)

PorscheLuvR

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (2021)
Country flag
Have you noticed that the B pillar is further forward than in most other cars? When your sitting in the car, the B pillar is almost in front of your hip. Because of that, it’s harder to drop into the car or get out of it. It’s not terrible, but it is more difficult.
Just curious if anyone else noticed this? Why do you think it’s more forward than other cars?
Only when parking with the nose up hill. ☺

LovinTaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan and 2019 Mercedes S560V
Country flag
I’m over 70..I swing my legs out and then push up…good exercise..lol
I am on my way to 70 and the one foot exit was fine in the beginning but I think it actually over-exerted that muscle which is tender now.

The turn, planting 2 feet on the ground and using the B pillar with my left arm as leverage did the trick.

PNWTaycan4S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘91 Polar Silver 964, ‘20 Dolomite Silver Taycan 4S, ‘19 Gravity Blue Nero EV
Country flag
Have you noticed that the B pillar is further forward than in most other cars? When your sitting in the car, the B pillar is almost in front of your hip. Because of that, it’s harder to drop into the car or get out of it. It’s not terrible, but it is more difficult.
Just curious if anyone else noticed this? Why do you think it’s more forward than other cars?
After multiple knee surgeries, it’s butt first getting in, legs first getting out.

Do that method in my 964 now too. B-Pliler seemed tight, but I’ve gotten used to it. Use it to assist the legs out exit.

Always enjoy getting in, as these puppies are magnificent! 12,000 miles off trouble free fun to date.